Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hope this hasen't been done before......

Originally posted by cyber-sibes
    I must have missed an earlier thread - how did you come up with Docker?
    After I had decided that I was definately adopting Docker, I made a "deal" with myself that if I quit smoking (something I had been putting off for a long time), that could be my "reward" but I had to quit to adopt him. That made the decision to quit really easy! I'd much rather have him than smoke! I looked at it as he was saving me more than I was saving him! Anyway, Docker is a shortened version of the last name of a good friend of mine, in memory of his wife who recently passed away due to lung cancer (related to smoking). And as someone in the Rescue thread pointed out, it made the shortened version of Docker's name very appropriate: Doc!
    Steve

Thanks Lexi_Lover

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." -- Mark Twain

"Don't count the days. Make the days count." -- Muhammad Ali

Most of mine arrived named, but I did get to pick a few:

Muskwa was named by a Cree medicine man. My hubby is Cree. He couldn't think of a name that was right for Muskwa. At four months old, we took him to a Sun Dance and the medicine man told us that both Muskwa and my hubby have bear spirits. Muskwa is the Cree word for Bear. He does still answer very well to "HEY YOU NO"! as that was his name for the first four months of his life!

Earle is named after singer/songwriter Steve Earle because I am an obessive fan!

Hoodoo(RB) was named by his breeder. He was the first of his litter to learn to howl and he liked to practice in the wee hours of the morning. She was always asking him "Who Do you think you are?". The first two words stuck as his name!

Paxil was bred by a local psychologist who also is a musher. He named the entire litter after anti-depressants. He likes to say he was trying to get sponsorship money out of the big drug companies so he could run dogs full time. It didn't work, he's still a shrink!

The shelter staff named most of the rest of them and I only know some of the reasons--Pacer because that's what he did all day at first, paced in his kennel. Chase because they spent days chasing him around the shelter area before they caught him, Delta and Antare are named for solar systems, Founder was 'found' tied to the fence one morning.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

well when we god Foxy he looked like a little fox so that how we named him

Thank you for the signature manda_moo87

how fritz and ruffles got their names

In regards to Ruffles our late Miniature Poodle we had friends who had a dog named Ruffles..Name probably came from the chip brand.In regards to our Bichon Frise Fritz,mom was apparently reading a story about somebody's dog and that's how his name came to be.
    thanks very much devon. I have been boo'd.

The kids were all little when we got Oreo (she is now 15) and she was black with white down the middle so we named her Oreo, a favorite cookie back then (and now) for everyone.

Dazzi came with her name and the person requested I keep it although he never really told me why he chose that spelling for her and now he has passed away so I guess I never will know.

Taggert was named that by the rescue group. The papers from the humane society had him listed as Max. We tried several names on him but went back to Taggert. It fits him!

Snoopy came with his name - I thought about changing it since he doesn't have any beagle in him but he is soooooo nosy, I mean snoopy that it fit him to a T.

Jack came with his name and we liked it.

Pippi was named Ginger. I was not crazy about that name and she needed a new start beginning with her name. Pippi Longstockings was a character in some books and movies when Amy was little and she is also a little Pip Squeak!

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

My RB Greyhound Shaianne was named Tara and I refused to call her that. There was a co worker who didn't like me named Tara (we have since become friends). I was going to name her Princess or Lady b/c she was so lady like. Then I was going to name her Peta meaning golden eagler she was a golden color (fawn) and graceful like an eagle. Then my sister said it would said like I named her after the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals so no go. I happened to be going thru and baby name book and found Cheyenne but changed the spelling to Shaianne. Hence my user name shais_mom.

Kylie (Kitty) came to me with that name and had no desire to change it, not sure where my friend came up with that but my suspicion is b/c we had an ER doc with the first name of Kyle that asked her out and she flirted shamelessly with.........

Keegan - I had several names for her picked out. I knew for her AKC name I wanted to have Shaianne's name in it somewhere. I thought of Aspen, Trinity, Spirit, and Keegan. (I swear this is a true story! ) The night I brought her home after her bath I was holding her and saying all the different names. And when I said Keegan she looked at me. I said them all again - same tone of voice with no change in it in a different order. When I said Keegan she looked at me. I did it again for good measure and again she looked at me when I said Keegan. So that is how she became Keegan. I say she chose her own name. Her AKC name is Sweet Shaianne's Grace. Keegan's momma's AKC name is Sweet Vidalia so that is where I got Sweet. Grace came from My beloved Grandma (that passed in 2004)who loved Keegan and Keegan loved her. It was just fitting. My Grandma adored Keegan when she would come over. Keegan would run right up to the trailer door at my parents house. (My grandparents live in a trailer dropped in my parent's back yard for the last 2 years - Gpa still lives there) Gma would let her in give her a cookie open the door and she would race across the yard and then we could go in to see My mom and dad.
    And Kloe (kitty) I was at my friends house and had told her I would take her and they said what should we call her and I just blurted "how about Kloe" just keeping with the "K" theme. So it stuck. Altho there have been several times I thought I should name her Sybil b/c she reminds me of the lady with the Multiple personality disorder from the book White Rabbit.
    Last edited by shais_mom; 03-19-2005 at 12:43 AM.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..