Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: I fear that my senior Boo is on his decline; *Update #109; 10/13

Thanks, Mary. I too hope that Boo is beginning to heal. Give him some cuddles for me.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Mary, why is he so thin? It is just how he has ages, or does he have a thyroid issue? Those are common in older cats (as you probably know).

Friend of mine recently adopted a 10 y.o. dog from the shelter where she volunteers. For months, he was acting weird, spinning in circles, wandering the house and calling. The THIRD vet decided to do blood work; THYROID! Third day on the meds, he settled right down to be a lovely older pup! She's had him 4 months now, and only been able to sleep for the past week or so. Her husband was going nuts!

So perhaps, you thinking he is missing Pidge all this time is not it? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Mary, why is he so thin? It is just how he has ages, or does he have a thyroid issue? Those are common in older cats (as you probably know).

Friend of mine recently adopted a 10 y.o. dog from the shelter where she volunteers. For months, he was acting weird, spinning in circles, wandering the house and calling. The THIRD vet decided to do blood work; THYROID! Third day on the meds, he settled right down to be a lovely older pup! She's had him 4 months now, and only been able to sleep for the past week or so. Her husband was going nuts!

So perhaps, you thinking he is missing Pidge all this time is not it? Just a thought.
    Yes, he was tested for thyroid and it wasn't too out of whack but Dr. Lee, at my request, started him on meds but they didn't agree w/him at all; he vomited daily so Dr. Lee said to stop them. He did begin to grow thin when he was in his declining years, so that's part of it.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Mary,

My senior kitty Murphy (16 years old) had thyroid problems. The Fox Clinic at the CT Humane Society took out her right thyroid module which seemed to do the trick. She is SOOO skinny though. But she's eating, drinking lots of water and using the box (I put fish oil in her wet food to help with her joints). Yesterday I caught her playing like a kitten with a milk bottle ring. There's still a "spark" behind those beautiful green eyes. I thought of bringing her to the vet for a check up, but as long as she's showing no signs of distress or decline, I'm letting her live out her life with me. I adore her. She was on death row at the CT Humane Society when I went in looking to adopt a "senior" cat for Christmas who was deemed unadoptable by the CHS. My friend Lynn Hallinger knew exactly where she belonged and I've had her for 2 years this December. She is a real joy and very vocal.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    Mary,

My senior kitty Murphy (16 years old) had thyroid problems. The Fox Clinic at the CT Humane Society took out her right thyroid module which seemed to do the trick. She is SOOO skinny though. But she's eating, drinking lots of water and using the box (I put fish oil in her wet food to help with her joints). Yesterday I caught her playing like a kitten with a milk bottle ring. There's still a "spark" behind those beautiful green eyes. I thought of bringing her to the vet for a check up, but as long as she's showing no signs of distress or decline, I'm letting her live out her life with me. I adore her. She was on death row at the CT Humane Society when I went in looking to adopt a "senior" cat for Christmas who was deemed unadoptable by the CHS. My friend Lynn Hallinger knew exactly where she belonged and I've had her for 2 years this December. She is a real joy and very vocal.
    Thanx for that, Donna; it's good to hear. If Boo were having physical problems, I'd take him back in for reevaluation but since he's not, I'm going to let him live out his days in peace. He has his moments when he streaks through the house like a kitten so, if he was really sick, he wouldn't do that. Dr. Lee said that there is a salve, I think, that could be put on his ear but that he hasn't had any success w/it w/his patients. The only other alternative would be to completely remove his thyroid and I'm not going to put a 19 year old cat through that. I still think that his crying is Pidge related; he just plain misses his "other half".
    Blessings,
    Mary

I'm so sad to read this, Mary. My heart is breaking for poor Boo. You're doing all you can to keep him comfortable and to let him know how very much he's loved. Many prayers are being prayed for you and sweet Boo during this difficult time.

Lots of lovies for Boo and many comforting [[[[[HUGS]]]]] for you.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Poor Boo. I guess there is no alternative medication?

Give him some lovies for me.

I know money can bet tight, but if Nancy or Denise could have a 'talk' with Boo, he might feel better.

Mary, it is so difficult to see our cats grow old, losing hearing, eyesight and perhaps getting senile. It may well be that Boo misses Pigeon and of course Boo can't understand where she has gone. Give him as much love as you can. I'm sending lots of good thoughts to your dear Boo.

Fister is also walking through the rooms at night miawing, but he will come up to me in bed and lay down beside me. I guess he is telling me that just saw a stray cat in the yard.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Mary, my heart knows exactly how you're feeling; I sympathize. There's nothing else I can do at this point except to say I've been there and I'm here if you need me for anything. Give Boo a kiss for me and hugs to both of you.

Maggie and Pinot-girl
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Hey Mary,

Have you tried mixing some KMR liquid with canned kitten food? That'll put meat on his bones. That's what I do for my 16 year old cat Murphy. She is bone thin but has an appetite like a horse. I attribute her thinness to her thyroid. Before I adopted her from the Ct Humane Society, she had her right thyroid nodule removed. She's a little spunky, even at the tender age of 16. I'll give her whatever food/KMR mix is left over from little Molly. She noshes on it throughout the day.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    Hey Mary,

Have you tried mixing some KMR liquid with canned kitten food? That'll put meat on his bones. That's what I do for my 16 year old cat Murphy. She is bone thin but has an appetite like a horse. I attribute her thinness to her thyroid. Before I adopted her from the Ct Humane Society, she had her right thyroid nodule removed. She's a little spunky, even at the tender age of 16. I'll give her whatever food/KMR mix is left over from little Molly. She noshes on it throughout the day.
    No, I've not thought of that, Donna. I have an appointment w/Dr. Lee tomorrow so I'll talk to him about it.

Boo just isn't himself. He's very lethargic; he usually races up the stairs ahead of me at night and hops up into the bed but last night, he stayed downstairs and slept on the door mat. I could hardly sleep; I kept getting up and checking on him. He moved to the enclosed patio room and slept on the cat bed there but this morning he was just lying there w/his eyes open. He's still eating but I don't know if he used the litter box last night or not. He may have or it may have been Coco Puff. I think I'll put Coco Puff downstairs w/the rest of the Fur Posse tonight so I can see whether or not Boo uses the litter box. He hasn't had a problem but I just want to be safe. I'll update everyone after his appointment tomorrow morning. I have a hair appointment right after so I may not be able to update until evening. Prayers are eagerly welcomed.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Prayers for darling Boo - sweetie, none of us is Pidge, but we love you!

Prayers for dearest, beloved Boo, and a candle: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/...g&cid=11282744
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Y'know, I no sooner booked the appt. than Boo jumped up behind my computer as he usually does. It's like having a toothache that quits hurting as soon as you see the dentist. I swear, they rally and knock my instincts off kilter. Puddy rallied so much that I didn't know which end is up. Right now he's lying on the back of the sofa, making a liar out of me. (not complaining; just sayin'....)
    Blessings,
    Mary

I lit a candle for Boo just now
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678