Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer Geeks in Movies.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    For what Windows costs, upfront and for long term support, it had better have a HUGE on call support base. Same goes for Mac OS. Tailored Unix OS will have a much smaller on call support base, the users would likely know that up front.
    When I have a LAN handling data which is going to cost the company $50-60K/hour when it's down due to the changes in workflow it would create (for instance the image handling network in a plant in the USPS), I can't afford to have a small support base. I need to be able to get it up and running NOW, not when the three geeks who wrote the code are available.

So you brought the printer an unsupported format and that cost your company more money but that isnt the point?

Please dont complain to the Mayor that I used Opera, a free web browser, to correct the spelling in the your post I quoted.
    The amount of money wasn't the point for me, I passed the cost on to the end customer who was annoyed, but when it was explained he understood. He wasn't paying attention to the total costs when he chose his office system, and wound up paying more in the end.

As to the spelling corrections, why would I give a damn?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    When I have a LAN handling data which is going to cost the company $50-60K/hour when it's down due to the changes in workflow it would create (for instance the image handling network in a plant in the USPS), I can't afford to have a small support base. I need to be able to get it up and running NOW, not when the three geeks who wrote the code are available.
    Doesnt the .gov have an app for that? Oh wait apparently they do.

What in the chit is your LAN being down Microsoft's problem? So if you unplug a cable or mis configure a NIC on your LAN thats MS 24/7 supports problem?

The amount of money wasn't the point for me, I passed the cost on to the end customer who was annoyed, but when it was explained he understood. He wasn't paying attention to the total costs when he chose his office system, and wound up paying more in the end.
    I may be new to this business but that is something I hate. Pass the cost to the customer for my ****UP. I didnt do that when I was an electrician, a warehouseman, and Im damn sure not going to do it now. If I do something that costs the end user more I will and have owned up to it.

As to the spelling corrections, why would I give a damn?
    Some people get butthurt when their spelling is corrected. Dont get butthurt for not giving a damn.
    Last edited by blue; 08-07-2010 at 10:55 PM. Reason: To not top. smiley face.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Doesnt the .gov have an app for that? Oh wait apparently they do.

What in the chit is your LAN being down Microsoft's problem? So if you unplug a cable or mis configure a NIC on your LAN thats MS 24/7 supports problem?
    Our LAN isn't neccesarily Microsoft's problem. However, if it turns out to be an oddball Microsoft issue, I know I can get assistance from an absolutely huge knowledgebase. The chances of something in this system being the first occurrence of an issue is slim to none.

I may be new to this business but that is something I hate. Pass the cost to the customer for my ****UP. I didnt do that when I was an electrician, a warehouseman, and Im damn sure not going to do it now. If I do something that costs the end user more I will and have owned up to it.
    I didn't pick the gentleman's office suite. He did. Despite gentle suggestions he continued on the path he laid out. At that point it's not my problem, it's his problem, and he assumes the costs associated with his arrogance.

Some people get butthurt when their spelling is corrected. Dont get butthurt for not giving a damn.
    If I'ze dumb enough to make the mistake, I'm humble enough to accept the correction.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Our LAN isn't necessarily Microsoft's problem. However, if it turns out to be an oddball Microsoft issue, I know I can get assistance from an absolutely huge knowledge base. The chances of something in this system being the first occurrence of an issue is slim to none.
    So you recognize that most LAN problems are local and no Microsofts fault.

I didn't pick the gentleman's office suite. He did. Despite gentle suggestions he continued on the path he laid out. At that point it's not my problem, it's his problem, and he assumes the costs associated with his arrogance.
    So the gentleman in question is the A$$ because because you didnt ask what format to submit the file in? Ild say its you problem because you cost the customer more money.

If I'ze dumb enough to make the mistake, I'm humble enough to accept the correction.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

So the gentleman in question is the A$$ because because you didnt ask what format to submit the file in? Ild say its you problem because you cost the customer more money.
    Nope. I told him what formats were industry standard, and which platforms would accept them.

He decided to go his own way, he knew better.

I didn't cost him more money, he cost himself more money.

You just cant admit somebody chose the wrong printer can you?
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

In 1995, if you walked into a professional print shop in Boston, MA (ANY professional graphics/print shop) with a disk for MS, you were charged a minimum of $50-$150 for file conversion.

I'm not eating the file conversion charge because someone chose to work on a non-industry standard platform.

Wow. That post is such a contradiction I couldnt fathom the point if I was sober.

Ill try any way.

So you knew ahead of time you were going to be charged more for taking a MS formatted disk to the printer, but its not your fault the printer charged you extra for reformatting?
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Wow. That post is such a contradiction I couldnt fathom the point if I was sober.

Ill try any way.

So you knew ahead of time you were going to be charged more for taking a MS formatted disk to the printer, but its not your fault the printer charged you extra for formatting?
    No, it's not my fault, because the end client insisted on using MS platforms, but wanted proofs printed from the files.

So if the client used Macs it wouldnt have been an issue?
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

If the client had used macs there would have been no data conversion charge.

Data conversion in 1995 wasn't the simple issue it is now. It took time and resources (a system set up to do the work and someone who really knew what they were doing) to accomplish.

Printers who would do it charged a premium because they had the extra overhead in both equipment and personnel to do the job.

If the client had used macs there would have been no data conversion charge.
    So in 1995 Mac was the industry standard and not MS?
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

So in 1995 Mac was the industry standard and not MS?
    For graphic arts work? Absolutely, and in many cases still is.

For graphic arts work? Absolutely, and in many cases still is.
    I whole heartedly agree, and not just for graphic arts. From what I hear hear Macs are far and away better then Winblowz for audio and video mixing.

But in 1995 did Mac have a big enough market share to even be considered a industry standard? Mac dosent have more then a 10% market share today.
    Last edited by blue; 08-08-2010 at 03:29 AM.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

In 1995 if you walked into any graphics shop there were Macs, and only Macs.

Remember, the "killer apps" for Macintosh were the early Adobe creative products and Quark Xpress. They weren't even in play in the PC world. In 1995 there was enough of a PC inroads in those areas to have to be considered (hence the data conversion issues), but Mac was it.

Jobs had left Apple, they were licensing Mac platforms, and life in the Mac world was good.