Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Update #92 -- Morgan has no more mouth problems.

Moesha, unfortunately that is what I was afraid of, and why I was asking where it was. Let me know exactly what it's called; I may have insight. I'm PMing you.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Thank you guys so much. I really don't deserve your kind words. I have been terrible at posting support for the sick kitties or the ones that have died lately. It's been so hard for me. I've read all the posts and have wanted to respond, but I couldn't make myself. Now here I am on the other end receiving your kind words, and I feel so bad about it.

I knew the second the vet looked at Morgan's mouth that it wasn't going to be good news. First he blurted out that it was a tumor then he tried to go back and retrace his words and mentioned the possibility of stomachtitis. I just know it is the cancer. I don't know if I can bring him home this afternoon. Right now I have a very dear friend going through treatment for ovarian cancer. I will not put my baby through that type of thing. I have also watched as a dear friend of mine had a poodle that they finally put to sleep last week. She was 16 and had kidney problems and dementia. I don't want those kinds of memories of Morgan. He deserves better than that. If there were anything in the world that I could do to fix this or make it all better, I would spend every penny I have. But I fear this is something that will only get worse. I know the vet said 5 days for results, but I don't know if I can bring him home and then have to make that decision to take him back. I'm wondering if when I talk to the vet this afternoon, if he is sure it is cancer, if I should just let Morgan go now. He hates the car rides so much. He knew when I was coming to get him this morning and I found him hiding in the corner. He would still be groggy from the anesthesia. I can't believe I'm actually typing this out. I don't know what to do. I want only the best for my boy. He has had good quality of life up to this point. I don't want him to have to suffer at all. I will update after the vet's office calls. That should be within the hour. Thank you all again.

Well, they just called. The vet got all that he could out of there. With it being gum tissue, it is hard to get good margins to make sure he got it all. He's still groggy and I can pick him up between 4:30 and 5. Now we wait to get results back. I remember EmeraldGreen and Tiger with their battle and the Transfer Factor. I think Haggis is going through that right now and using TF. Perhaps I'll order some and try that. I just don't want him to suffer at all, but I don't want anyone to think that I'm giving up on him either. I would do anything in the world for my baby. I had them do blood work and they said that looked good. His sugar was a little elevated but that could have been due to stress.

Many healing thoughts for Morgan! I'll be hoping for good test results.

We all know that you'll do your best for Morgan; that's a given, so no worries there. We're just so sorry that Morgan is having this issue and that it's so hard on you. Please know that prayers are going up and continuing for you both. Keep the faythe. (((HUGS)))
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Well we're back home. When I got there they said I could go straight to the back to see him. I met the vet in the hallway, so he came back with me. Morgan was passed out cold in the back of the kennel. As we were talking he must have heard my voice. He was wide awake, crying and trying to get out. He's a funny boy.

He's lost 3 pounds since his annual checkup in May. The vet said he thinks it is probably cancer, but we'll wait for the results to come back from the histopath. He said that there are some "good" gum cancers and some bad ones. Of course they are all bad, but some are worse than others. We'll just wait to see how the tests come back and decide treatment from there. There was no way I could not bring him home today. He was acting so normal and definitely wanted to be with me. So now I guess we make sure he is comfortable and have to decide when his quality of life is not there anymore.

Thanks again to everyone, even those of you that read this and haven't posted. Believe me, I have been there and completely understand.

Prayers and positive thoughts for Morgan and for you in whatever you decide. It's so difficult making a decision on treatment with cancer for our pets. I lost my 16 year old kitty to cancer last year, so I know what you're going thru with Morgan and trying to do the right thing for him.

I'm so sorry to hear this latest news. Hopefully the biopsy results will bring some good news and if not then hopefully there will still be some kind of treatment for him to help his quality of life. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. I know you'll do what's best for him. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Good to hear Morgan is back. Tigris' biopsy results will not be back before 4-5 days so we both are waiting. But Tigris comes home too tonight so at least we have our babies and they are not under immediate threat.
    I am totally with you about treatment. I already feel very bad that Tigris needed to have that biopsy but how could I have gone on with not even knowing what he had?

Prayers and positive thoughts on the way for your dear boy.

Thanks again.

He is hungry. He cries for food and tries to eat, but his mouth is obviously bothering him. He'll only eat maybe a bite or two. I have a smorgasbord of food out for him to choose from. I'm going to go and get some chicken breasts to boil for him. Maybe he'll be able to eat that and I can use the broth from the chicken to soften his dry food some and entice him to eat a little more of that. I do have pain medicine to give him twice a day. I'm trying to wait a little longer so that he'll sleep while I'm gone. And then his second dosage will be more toward the evening for him to be able to sleep at night as well. I'm also picking up some of the EVO canned food later this afternoon. I don't know what else to do.

Other than the eating problem, he is himself. He came in and sat with me first thing this morning and purred. This is so hard.

Mo I'm so sorry to hear about Morgan.

Prays are coming your way.

Melissa

Pureed or baby food; he probably can't handle anything else. You might also have to hand (spoon) feed. I know how tough this is - I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Moesha View Post
    Thanks again.

He is hungry. He cries for food and tries to eat, but his mouth is obviously bothering him. He'll only eat maybe a bite or two. I have a smorgasbord of food out for him to choose from. I'm going to go and get some chicken breasts to boil for him. Maybe he'll be able to eat that and I can use the broth from the chicken to soften his dry food some and entice him to eat a little more of that. I do have pain medicine to give him twice a day. I'm trying to wait a little longer so that he'll sleep while I'm gone. And then his second dosage will be more toward the evening for him to be able to sleep at night as well. I'm also picking up some of the EVO canned food later this afternoon. I don't know what else to do.

Other than the eating problem, he is himself. He came in and sat with me first thing this morning and purred. This is so hard.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

He was able to eat a little a/d food that I picked up at the vet's office and also some kitten milk. The vet said that as long as he is drinking he can go a day or so without worrying about food. He is so hungry though. He also said that I could increase his pain medicine from twice a day to every 6-8 hours. It'll just take a few days for that sore in his mouth to heal up. It doesn't seem to bother him, unless he is trying to eat. Thanks for reminding me about the baby food idea. I know I looked locally for plain chicken baby food but couldn't find any. My neighbor has a baby that she feeds only organic baby food. Perhaps I'll ask her if she has any chicken I could get from her. At least he has had some nutrition today, although it hasn't been a lot.

I'm so sorry to be reading about Morgan's mouth issues! I haven't been keeping up with what is going on in PT with all the summer activities and being away from home, but I'll be catching up as soon as I can with the other threads. I think we all get inundated at times, so I think we all can be forgiven.

I hope that you can find something for Morgan to eat that will not hurt his tender gums. Poor boy. Gerber makes a chicken and chicken broth that Calloway used to love (as well as turkey, beef, ham and veal). There wasn't any onion, garlic or anything else in it, and it was a stage 1 or step 1 bottle I believe.

Tons of get well wishes and gentle hugs and scritchies going out for Morgan.