View Poll Results: Do you trim the fur between your dog's pads?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 55.81%
  • No

19 44.19%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you trim the fur between your dog's pads?

I have a thing about MAXIMUS' paws.......I love 'em, and I can't get enough. But, I never concidered trimming the fur between. Just never occurred to me. His pads are "slippy" on the hardwood floor anyway. I don't think the fur has anything to do with it.

~siggy by LEXILOVER~thanx~

well i don't do it myself, but i take him to the breeder that we got him from, about once a month, and she trins him everywhere.

Thank you for the signature manda_moo87

I trim Mandys, Lacey doesn't need it.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I just had Tori's paws all trimmed up a few weeks ago when they went to the groomer's. That was the first time that I have had it done. I never even knew people did that until I saw Nebo and Anna also mentioned that she occassionally had Roxey's and Huney's done also. Tori's were finally looking so long and messy that I had them done. Her paws looked so neat and pretty after she had them done. I don't know if it really serves any purpose though. She slides around on the flooring like she always has. Since she likes to dig it does make cleaning up her paws a bit easier though. Besides appearance, does anyone know if there is any reason why it should be done? I kind of figure huskies have all that fur between their paw pads for reason. Katie doesn't have nearly the fur between hers that Tori does.

Quote Originally Posted by RobiLee
    Besides appearance, does anyone know if there is any reason why it should be done? I kind of figure huskies have all that fur between their paw pads for reason.
    The fur on the undersides of husky paws helps them have better traction across ice. Since Tori doesn't go on any long treks across ice fields (that you know about! ) it probably doesn't matter if you trim it. I'll bet she looks dainty with her trimmed paws. Just tell her - no following Santa across those rooftops this year, yong lady!

I do it. Nanook needs his trimmed every 2-3 weeks. Kaige's fur has just started to get long between his feet so he will get a trimming in the very near future.

The fur on the undersides of husky paws helps them have better traction across ice.
    I have never heard that. I've been trimming Nanooks fur (part husky) his entire life. Sometimes I'd forget or whatever & I noticed that he'd slip even more with all the fur there, even on ice.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Quote Originally Posted by slleipnir
    Jo's fur was really long..so I cut it 2 weeks ago..ish. And it's already growing out! I never even thought about it much till I went to Amy's...haha! Nebo is SO perfect..like nails, fur, teeth.... so inspiring.

LOL that's what being a groomer does to you... Yeah, I'm a bit obsessive about Nebo's feet, it drives me insane if he has lots of fur sticking between his toes. I shave around the pads and also even trim around the outside edges and on the back of the leg up to the other pad (I always forget what that's called).

I shave around the pads of Reggie and Sydney when I groom them too.

The fur on the undersides of husky paws helps them have better traction across ice.
    I have heard that before, but I've more noticed dogs with lots of fur just get snow and ice stuck between in their paws...I don't see how that could help them. But I'm not a musher either. I've never let Nebo's grow out long enough to notice any difference.

p.s. photo attached of Nebo's feet lol I groomed him yesterday...I do it really short so it will take longer to grow out, it looks better when it's not quite this short.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes, Visa gets her feet trimmed once a week. We usually do it Saturdays, but we didn't get to do it last Saturday, so I'll have to bring her to work tomorrow and get 'er done (even though Tuesdays are her day off ).
    I've been BOO'd!

I trim both Bitsy's and Nova's feet every time I cut their nails.
    Charlie, Buster, and Nacey don't ever need that done.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

No, Daphne's a natural pup.

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

Nope, Micki, Mini and Kyra have no hair between their toes, once I start agility with Jack I will but I really have no reason to right now and I have thought about it with Shadow but have never actually done it...

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

I never thought about shaving the hair though. You'd have to cut it less often. Maybe I'll try that next time. I have a nice pair of dog clippers that I've only used once or twice. lol
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I did with my dog, Bruno, but, I voted no since I don't have to with Finn.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I keeps Happys feet trimmed both for neatness and to prevent snowballs, I occaionally trim Blairs feet, but it looks weird on him because the hair all down his legs is all long and shaggy, so long and shaggy right down to his feet where it suddenly gets short and neat.. well that just looks weird lol I trim shadows as well but mainly beucuse it I dont she looks like an elf, the hair gets so long and splays out like a star and makes her look like she has 8 extra toes lol Ripley, Perky, and Mistys feet are short enugh as it is, there is nothing that CAN be trimmed lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q
    L
    I have heard that before, but I've more noticed dogs with lots of fur just get snow and ice stuck between in their paws...I don't see how that could help them. But I'm not a musher either.
    For most of mine I don't trim the fur. I used to have to trim Hoodoo's paws. He had longer hair than most sibes and he had would get huge ice balls in his paws.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving