Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When An Indoor Cat Gets Out

This has me stressed out. I HATE the thought of lost animals. I hope your friend will try to be more proactive in her search for the poor kitty. The cat will be in my prayers until the day he returns home. The story of Jasper gives me hope.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Aly, every day when I go into work I ask about him and the answer is always no, he hasn't come home. The other day when I asked, another co-worker said "Why are you still asking? The cat is probably having a good time being free." Somehow I don't think that is the case for a cat who lived 4 years inside and is not used to the outdoors. My friend got him originally from an animal shelter and her friend works there. She is on the look-out if he should be turned in.

Good news......sort of! Got this in an e-mail from my friend last night. Isn't this amazing after all of this time!

Rich said that when he left for work this morning he saw Tiger in our neighbors trash. He said that when Tiger spotted him he took off around behind the house. He said that he thinks Tiger is living in the drainage ditch behind the house in the pipe and all and perhaps is killing all the mice there and eating them. Ryan thinks he is eating the neighbor's cat food.

If this is truly Tiger (and they certainly feel it is) it just shows how resilient and resourceful he has been. Keep your fingers crossed that they can entice Tiger back inside.

This concept of taking care of one's pet......

I don't think this person really, deep down, cares what happens to her/their kitty. I guess the animal will learn to live outside. Some cats do rather enjoy it.

By the way, remember my neighbor's cat Ozzie? The one that kept running back to his old home (5 miles away)...well, he is now settled down at his new home and only goes back every now and then. He uses a bike path that drops him almost directly on his old doorstep. (We don't think he uses a bike, however...let me check in the garage....) We think it is the colder weather that is keeping him at his new house.

I went and picked him up over Thanksgiving.....at his old house....it takes him about 48 hours to get back there.....

Guess you cannot teach some cats new tricks.

Pam, I hope your co-worker doesn't take on a new kitty .... just because this one hasn't been trapped.

SAS
    Last edited by sasvermont; 12-12-2002 at 08:41 AM.

I agree with everything you have said! She certainly doesn't place quite the value on her pets that I do. She is a nice person but we don't see eye to eye when it comes to our pets. I am sure she feels I go overboard. She does have another cat (inside) who at first seemed to really be lost without Tiger. Now she seems to have moved on. If I thought for one minute that my cat was living in a drainage ditch I would be horrified and have to do all in my power to get him back. I again suggested a trap with food and even catnip. My two come running for catnip. I'll keep everyone posted if there are updates.

6. At the risk of anthropomorphism....why did the cat not want to be in the house? A four year inside cat with a yen for a taste of the wild....very understandable...but to be close to the house and not ask to come in to cool off/warm up/get out of the rain or snow/sleep on a cushion?

Odd I think....

Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
    At the risk of anthropomorphism....why did the cat not want to be in the house? A four year inside cat with a yen for a taste of the wild....very understandable...but to be close to the house and not ask to come in to cool off/warm up/get out of the rain or snow/sleep on a cushion?

Odd I think....
    To add to this, why did he run from "Rich" (who I'm assuming is the man of the household) instead of coming up and saying "Hi, haven't seen you for awhile, can I come back in the house now?"

Hopefully he'll come home soon......
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Intervention time....

Well, I think someone should find that sweet and silly kitty a new home. Ahemmmmmm, Pam. Maybe Dandy would like a playmate? I am surprised their neighbors haven't trapped the baby and taken it somewhere.

I don't know, this just isn't sitting right with me. There is something odd about this cat and the owners. Maybe it was feral to begin with....and given the chance to go outside, it loves it out.

I think my guys would love to be outside until they: 1.) Had to use the litter; 2.) got hungry; 3.) got cold; 4.) got lonely.....and scared.....which is what is confusing about this kitty.

Amen...enough from me about this.....I need to give it up and move on to another topic..... Sorry Pam.

Re: Intervention time....

Originally posted by sasvermont

I think my guys would love to be outside until they: 1.) Had to use the litter; 2.) got hungry; 3.) got cold; 4.) got lonely.....and scared.....which is what is confusing about this kitty.

mine too!!! they really are not the big mighty lions that they like me to think they are (and that they think they are!)
    Kedi, Wylie, Rudy, and the dog Scout!

SAS, it's funny but I asked her just the other day if she got this kitty as a wee little one or if he had been on his own and maybe picked up as a stray. I was also thinking he might have been feral, since he came from the shelter. She said she got him as a kitten! Go figure! She did tell me that she is going to again put food out for him and also catnip. She isn't "into" the trap idea (her words).

Yes, T&P Rich is the hubby. I can't figure that one out either. Tiger has lived inside all of his four short years with another kitty and a dog. I have been at her home and the other animals are quite friendly so in my opinion it's not like Tiger was trying to escape from a hostile environment. This is a puzzling one for sure. Maybe I'll have an update tomorrow when I go into work. Tiger's "mom" is a really nice person. It's just that we are a long way from seeing eye to eye on this one!

Yorkster - good to see you back again! By the way, Happy Belated Birthday!

Originally posted by Pam

Yorkster - good to see you back again! By the way, Happy Belated Birthday!
    Thanks Pam!
    I wish I could say that I can be back 'all the way' but.............going to real estate school right now, so I'm busy-busy-busy for awhile. I just keep up on the Freckles situation and occasional e-mail notification I get.
    Hope everyone (and all) is well with the Pet Talkers!
    Have a great Christmas everyone!
    Kedi, Wylie, Rudy, and the dog Scout!

Sad Update

I don't know how many of you are still around that have followed this thread. My co-worker told me yesterday that Tiger has gone on to the Rainbow Bridge. He was hit by a car. She was driving her son to school and she thought she saw him on the side of the road but didn't stop because she didn't want her son to see. On the trip back she noticed Animal Control was there and she pulled over. It was unfortunately Tiger. RIP Tiger.

Oh I am so so *so* sorry to read this

~~~Rachel in Alaska
    Mom to "Max, Milo and Pepper Ann" 11.5 month old Teenagers

http://www.pbase.com/alasknmom/kittens/
    updated 10/30/02

I just now saw this thread. I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. RIP sweet Tiger.

What a sad story

RIP Tiger, Be happy & play in RB.

I am very confused about the owners attitude towards traps, I am surprise she wouldn't make this small effort to regain her pet. IMO it sounds like this cat was unwanted....

I am not surprised that Tiger learned to fend for himself outside, cats tend to act wilder, if they have access to the outside world. He would quickly learn to hunt and a drain would give him a basic shelter from the worst weather.

For instance my playful & affectionate Milo, won't allow me to pick him up and cuddle him when he is outside. It would ruin his street cred.

Cats show their kitten side when they are inside away from other strange cats but when they are outside they become adult 'we are mighty hunters' cats.
    (This behaviour does not apply to cats in outside runs, this is still classed as inside as far as this type of behaviour goes.)

You would be surprised at how many of your own cats could & would cope with fending for themselves. But no doubt Tiger and other strays must miss companionship & security that an owner 'should' offer.