Thread: Lara's x-ray result

Lara's x-ray result

Lara's home from the vet's and yes it is hip dysplasia in one of her back legs,the vet as said to wait for three months because with her being so small that there is a chance it could go right itself and to take her on small walks and take her swimming which I can do the walks but I don't know where I'm going to take her swimming as we do have a big sea here in Blackpool but I wouldn't take my dog swimming in it even there are alot of people that do,anyway she can not have pups which is a shame as I would have liked her to have one litter and I have got to keep her weight off because of her hip.If after three months it has not gone right he will think about doing an operation to put it right,thank you all for your replies and i shall let you know if anything else happens.
    julie

Good luck. I hope that it is able to heal itself.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

So sorry to hear about Lara. I hope that the next three months will help correct her dysplasia. Wish there was a place you could take her swimming. That is great for he joints and so much fun for the dogs!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but with a diagnosis that she has hip dysplasia, you need to have her spayed and not even consider breeding her - no matter what! If it does get better as she grows it will only be that the hip joint does not deteriorate more as she developes. It will always be there. By not letting her carry extra weight or taking it easy not to cause injury to the spot, she will have a easier time dealing with the problem. You will need to limit the kind of things you do with her also. No jumping or air jumps to catch balls or frisbees.

Hip dysplasia is hereditary and the trait could be passed onto her offspring which I am sure you do not want to occur. I know it is heart wrenching when you would like to breed. My first Golden had hip dysplasia and a heart murmur and I couldn't breed her either. My second girl (Dixie) I made sure she came from a strong line with good hip production and did breed her when she was 3 years old.

Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
    [B]I hate to be the bearer of bad news but with a diagnosis that she has hip dysplasia, you need to have her spayed and not even consider breeding her - no matter what!
    Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. CHD is hereditary. It will be passed on.

I'm so sorry for this diagnosis. I had a GSD with CHD. The surgery helped him. I was lucky. I hope your case is so very mild that meds can control it. Good luck.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

best of luck to ya'll, you in my prayers.

I hope after the 3 months her hips heal.
    Please keep us posted.

----<---<--<{(@

Hi Julie,

We'll be praying for Lara... Hope she gets better... keep us posted with her condition...

I hope Lara will be ok!! Prayers are with you and Lara!!