The difference is this:
Some people have gone through horror stories when dealing with kibble. Disatisfied with kibble and its supposed "100% completely balanced nutrition", many people have turned to feeding raw. Probably THE most popular method of feeding raw is BARF (Bones and Raw Food or Biologically appropriate raw food, I think), which was "created" (or published, rather) by Ian Billinghurst. His idea is to feed dogs a raw diet, mostly consumed of RMBs (raw meaty bones). One of the most popular items on his list of meals is raw chicken necks, legs, wings, and carcasses. This is where the distinction lies. Raw feeders feed exactly that- Raw bones. They believe that *because* the raw bones are soft, they can not cause the dog harm.

However, what we are ALL warning you of are *cooked* chicken bones. Cooked bone of any kind, but especially poultry, splinter easily and can tear away your dog's intestines and stomach and is possibly fatal. Avoid feeding cooked bones at all costs!!!

Since raw feeding is a rather controversial issue, many conventional vets advise against feeding raw bones of any sort (but mostly chicken) because they believe, raw or not, bones will splinter and cause tears in the gastrointestinal system. The Great Dane breeder is a raw feeder and was feeding her pregnant b*tch a typical BARF meal- raw pulped veggies, a chicken carcass, and I think there was some offal as well.

Since you're obviously very new to the concept of raw feeding, please spare your dog and try not to feed him raw bones just yet. There is a lot of research that goes into raw feeding, and I would suggest you read up a bit more on this before you hand your dog a raw bone. However, there is a rather safe alternative to feeding raw chicken. You can buy a huge raw marrow bone from your butcher and ask him to cut it into fourths. Freeze those bone parts and give one of them to Maximus no more than once or twice a week. Too much will wear out his teeth as weight bearing bones are always tougher and are for recreational use only. I hope this helps!