Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today's vet visit.

Today's vet visit.

3 more cats had their yearly today. I did a FVRCP shots at home and they got they rabies at the vet, plus the exam.

Sterling, Kim and Jasper went today.

Jasper is doing SOOOOO well after our scare with the diahrrea and the upper respitory. He gained weight PAST his original weight!!! (was 9 pounds, got sick and went down to 7 pounds, is 10 pounds today!) Hoooorah for Jasper!!

Kim is a petite 7 pounds. And in terrific shape. 5 1/2 years old now.

Sterling is 13 pounds 6 ounces and held his weight since the last visit. (did not gain, like the other group who each gained a pound).

I also recently changed them from Hill's c/d to Royal Canin SO. They like it and I like the fact that it supposedly had "dental" properties in it. (they hated the dental diet I bought!) I picked up 2 bags today.

I will aslo be starting Jim and Sterling on the Clomicalm. Well, actually they ordered me a generic as the price difference was SUBSTANTIAL! ClomiPRAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE is the exact name on the bottle. They are capsules. So I will open a capsule and dissolve it in 1 ml of water and give 0.2 ml per cat per day. Wish us luck.

SO..............$220.00 later.........(LOL) it is nice to know these 3 are healthy and up to date on shots.

THREE CHEERS for THREE HEALTHY KITTIES!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Sounds very good. Good luck with the clomicalm. I'll be anxious to hear how it works for you since it didnt' do what I had hoped for Rocky. I think Rocky is just a neurotic mess anyway.

From Decker with Love

Good luck w/the Clomicalm. I've not tried the generic, never even thought to ask if there was one. The stuff I use comes in small caplets and I quarter them to make 5 mg. per cat. I was lucky in that it started working right away but Dr. Lee said that it usually takes at least 4 weeks until it starts working. If that ever stops working, I'll go to kitty Prozac. I just ordered new furniture to be delivered on Sat. and I don't take chances. Let us know how it works for you.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa
    Good luck w/the Clomicalm. I've not tried the generic, never even thought to ask if there was one. The stuff I use comes in small caplets and I quarter them to make 5 mg. per cat. I was lucky in that it started working right away but Dr. Lee said that it usually takes at least 4 weeks until it starts working. If that ever stops working, I'll go to kitty Prozac. I just ordered new furniture to be delivered on Sat. and I don't take chances. Let us know how it works for you.
    1st, I thought (but could be wrong) that the amitriptyline WAS considered the kitty Prozac. That is what mine are on now. It DID work, but it seems to have stopped working. Possibly, like in humans, a product for depression/anxiety could stop being effective and need to be changed.

2nd, these are capsules, and they are 25 mg, with the dose being 1/5 a capsule per day. (5 mg per day, same as your cats). It is worth a try.

3rd, I just asked the vet office to order the Clomicalm. When they priced it out, they got the generic. They did not specify the amount ($$$$) difference, but said it was SUBSTANTIAL! I got 100 capsules (500 doses) for $16.00.

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach
    I got 100 capsules (500 doses) for $16.00.
    Uh, yeah, I'd say that's a substantial savings. I get 120 doses for $42. And since I medicate 4 cats, that lasts only a month but it's well worth it.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Just picked up the Clomicalm and I asked about the generic and they said essentially what you just posted. The drawbacks are (for me) is that it isn't as effective as the name brand and it only comes in capsule form. My cats are fairly easy to pill, so I'd rather do that.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Thats Music To Our Ears When The Vet Comes In With A Smile Ad Says Taht Your Friends Are In Good Health, And Thats Alls Well With Them.
    That Must Be A Laod Off Your Mind Jen, With The Health Problems That They Had Earlier This Year.
    Con Cat Ulations!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa
    I asked about the generic and they said essentially what you just posted. The drawbacks are (for me) is that it isn't as effective as the name brand and it only comes in capsule form.
    Well, I hope that is a personal opinion and this generic ends up being JUST as effective. I find most generics ARE really the same medicine without the "NAME".

Tonight will be the first dose, and while mixing with water WILL be a pain, I've done it with other meds, and it will soon become just another "habit". ')

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach
    2nd, these are capsules, and they are 25 mg, with the dose being 1/5 a capsule per day. (5 mg per day, same as your cats). It is worth a try.

3rd, I just asked the vet office to order the Clomicalm. When they priced it out, they got the generic. They did not specify the amount ($$$$) difference, but said it was SUBSTANTIAL! I got 100 capsules (500 doses) for $16.00.

OOOH! I'll have to check that out!

[QUOTE=jenluckenbach]Well, I hope that is a personal opinion and this generic ends up being JUST as effective. I find most generics ARE really the same medicine without the "NAME". [QUOTE]

For your sake, I hope so, too. But they said that my vet specifically marked in my file not to give me the generic for the reason that I just stated. Some generics are just as good as the name brands, I agree, but some definitely are not and I'm not going to take the chance. I do hope that you see some relief.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Turst me, I would NOT take the chance either, but, since I am STARTING with these, I don't know any difference (yet)

If you're doing your own distemper vaccinations, are you using the new CaliciVax also since you do rescues and have a multicat household?

I've had all 7 of my cats vaccinations updated to include this new vaccine against a different strain of Calicivirus (2 shot series given 3 weeks apart). While no vaccine is 100% effective, and the Calicivirus can mutate, it's still better to have a newer technology in the vaccine than the old Calici vaccine which is 50 year old technology.

If you haven't heard of the newest strains of this deadly virus here are some links...

http://www.dvmvac.org/norsworthy_calicivirus.asp

http://network.bestfriends.org/texas/news/14454.html

http://www.dvmnews.com/dvm/article/a....jsp?id=408460

http://www.thedailycat.com/catsplay/...rus/index.html

http://www.sheltermedicine.com/portal/is_vs_fcv.shtml

http://www.dvmvac.org/swiftaction.asp

http://www.animalsheltering.org/reso...licivirus.html

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Jen, I'm glad to hear that the vet visit went well and I'm so glad to hear that Jasper has gained weight and is doing well.

I hope that the generic clomicalm will work for your cats. I also didn't know that there was a generic and when I tried it they compounded it into a liquid so this made it cost more. Please continue to keep us updated.

I get the vaccines through the rescue group. I am unsure if it is for the NEW strain or not. But it sounds like they should be using it TOO, so I'll have to look into it.

I didn;t get a chance to update last night, but the first dose of clomicalm didn't go so well. It must taste REALLY bad! I guess I'll use a little more water and up the dose accordingly. (maybe I'll have to mix it with CLAM JUICE )