Thread: Not eating

Not eating

Arg Kai's stressing me out sooo much. Ever since we've switched back to Kibble (innova), he's been eating VERY little. He usually would get about 1.5cups a day maximum (Usually only finishes about a cup). Today, he ate about 1/4 of a cup (IF EVEN!). I'm really worried because I know some people have said that not eating could be a sign of a medical problem. He's also been pooping less. I don't know if it's the kibble or a problem because we switched him from raw to innova almost the same time he started to refuse to eat/not poop as much. He did poop today during a walk...it was normal (not runny) but it doesn't happen as often anymore (compared to when he was fed other kibbles). Maybe it's just because innova's so much better? Eeks..any ideas? I really have no idea if he's just picky or has a problem but he is going to the vet's for a checkup regardless..I'd just like to know if this is maybe something I should get him checked up for tomorrow or maybe wait until next week.

EDIT: He started pooping less before he started eating very little.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I know people who have said that once they've given their dogs raw the dogs would never eat kibble again. Maybe thats the problem?
    Stephanie, Honey, and Pepper

Thank you for the wonderful sig kfamr!

Not eating

Maybe try a little tuna juice on the kibble to get his interest. Or 1/2c. of a vegetable like chopped brocolli. Even a light sprinkle of garlic powder (not salt). If he eats better that way, you can gradually cut back on the additives until he's eating just kibble.

Diabetic dogs MUST eat so they can get their insulin shots, so I've had to try a lot of things with my dog. He especially likes a drizzle of juice from a can of cat food. The vet said it couldn't hurt him.

Mary

I agree with mruffmruff. I'd try to jazz up his food a little, just to see if he eats it. Then you'll know if he's sick or just being picky.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

thanks for the info. I'll try it out today.

Well, how's Kai doing today? Is he eating/pooping any better?

Nebo sometimes goes in spurts of not eating much. He's always done that. I'd do what others suggested and put something like gravy or yummy treats in it and see if he still refuses it.

I tried dressing it up yesterday and today. He got a spoonful of leftover gravy with a tiny sprinkle of parmesean (even better breakfast than mine lol). He ate it all.

His pooping problem doesn't seem to be there anymore. He did have a weird colored greenish/orange pooped yesterday which was a bit wet but not runny...but other than that, it's fine.

You can buy Vita Gravy for dogs at Walmart.
    I've been BOO'd!

Spoke too soon. He got BAD runs today. He even had an accident inside the house...he hasn't had an accident in months! My poor baby.