Thread: Would you donate your dog for war service?

Would you donate your dog for war service?

I admit my love towards my dog goes beyond patriotism for my country. Maybe if we were really at war, my feelings would be different, but I don't know if I could do it. Especially knowing that in the Vietnam War dogs were not returned to their owners, they were euthanised because they were considered "military equipment."

I made a poll for this question
    http://www.freevote.com/booth/rottweilers

NO!

------------------
    ***Save a life, ADOPT***

Australian troops were also involved in the Vietnam war. They had 11 tracking dogs (10 labradors & 1 labrador-kelpie cross). At the end of the war, these 11 dogs were given into the care of european groups living in Vietnam who were neutral in the war. Like the British Embassy took one of the dogs as their pet-mascot.
    The Australian army has since changed its policy about their dogs which serve overseas. Our troops have been in East Timor for some time now & they have tracking & guarding dogs with them. When the military groups return to Australia, they bring their dogs back with them.
    Last weekend, a memorial was unveiled to the 11 aussie tracker dogs who had served in the Vietnam war. It consists of a stone monument with a the sculpture of a dog, a poem, & the names of the 11 dogs. The memorial has been built beside a walking path near a beautiful beach. Many people walk their dogs on this path. The base of the army dogs' memorial has a bowl & a tap where today's dogs can get a drink of water as they go by.
    You may find that the US army also has a different policy now on repatriating their dogs who serve overseas. Maybe your Vietnam vets have also put up a memorial to their war dogs.
    I would have no worries, these days, in donating a dog to serve in the australian army or air force. The dogs are greatly honoured, loved & cared for because they are serving 'personnel'.

[This message has been edited by Angels3 (edited April 10, 2001).]

I could NEVER give my dogs away. Even in the event of a war

I'm just glad I don't believe they would want our Schnauzers, however being a retired Military family, from probably a different generation than most here, I would truly have to think about it.
    Angels 3, that sounds like a wonderful memorial for the canines who served their country, Good for Australia for recognizing them.

I'd like to think that, with all the dogs languishing and indeed dying in shelters every day, the military would look to these dogs first, rather than asking anyone to give up a pet.

Not in a million years, for a million dollars! I am not nearly patriotic enough to even consider such an act, I can't stand war and would never donate my best friend to such a miserable life! Nope. If it became law to donate your dogs for milatary reasons I'd flee the country with no second thoughts...even if it left me in trouble with the law.

I'm in the military and I can't stand war either. I don't think Jeffrey and Bandit would do well in combat unless Jeffrey is used to lick the enemy to death Of course you could put Bandit in a closed in area and let him pass gas. Talk about chemical warfare!

Jokes aside, I have had the priviledge of meeting a few military working dogs and they are wonderful animals. Protection, drug detection, and explosive detection is what these dogs are used for. A lot of these dogs (most I think) are taken from shelters so I'm pretty sure there will be no need for anyone to donate their dog for service. You're right, Rottie, most of the dogs used in the Vietnam era were euthanised. I trust that will never happen again. There are two memorials in the US for miltary working dogs. One at March AFB in Riverside, CA, and the other at Fort Benning, GA.

"The Working Dog"
    My eyes are your eyes,
    To watch and protect yours.
    My ears are your ears ,
    To hear and detect evil minds in the dark.
    My nose is your nose,
    To scent the invader of your domain.
    And so you may live, my life is also yours.
    Author Unknown

[This message has been edited by Genia (edited April 10, 2001).]

Only if I could go with them...and be there every second!

Karen, one of our best Customs Service dogs here bounced in & out of an animal shelter 3 times before he was recruited...he was too lively in the homes he went to.
    Our friends donated their GSD to the air force. They live in an urban area, the parents worked long hours in professions & their son was away at boarding school. They thought their young, intelligent, alert GSD was not happy in this lifestyle. The air force tested the dog & he had a wonderful time doing all the test activities & he passed with flying colours. Our friends were invited to their ex-dog's air force graduation ceremony. He was jumping out of his skin with eagerness in his new career. He had a lovely young air force officer as his handler...to whose family he would eventually be retired.
    We hate war here, too, but greatly honour those who serve in battle to protect others who are vulnerable. I was a tiny baby during World War 2 when south-east asia & the pacific islands were invaded in an aggressive war by japan. It was americans fighting alongside australians & new zealanders who stopped the advance right on our shores. Now I teach lovely young japanese people among my students at a college here.

There was an article in our local paper recently on this. One brave, life-saving pooch had his purple heart and Gold Star medals taken away as it was offensive to human soldiers, despite the fact the dog saved an entire platoon! Also said that during WW2, the enemy was so petrfied of the service dogs that the propoganda was 'U.S. leave and take your dogs with you". Many of the Vietnam dogs were also released into the wild and either starved, were killed or used as a food source. I greatly admire the courage and dedication and patriotism of anyone or any animal that serves his country to protect strangers-people they don't even know, but would I give my Cody? Absolutely not. I am way too selfish. The very idea that he would be injured or killed devastates me. Esp. being commanded to go into a trench without knowing the dangers, innocently and unafraid. Nope. Hey, I'm the one that sat in the vets waiting room for hours during his surgery. Don't mean any disrespect..I think if I never had the pleasure, joy, experience of owning a dog I may not feel that way.

NO. I don't even have a dog and I say, NO!

Especially if it wasn't returned to me after and they killed it.

that's so sad,
    ben