Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What angers you most about your dog behavior

What angers you most about your dog behavior

This morning is a really bad morning I'm trying to break Tess (my Chihuahua) from getting into the litter box. A couple weeks ago she got a real swat on the rear from getting into the box and I think it surprised her that I would swat her. Havent had any trouble again until this morning. I turned my back and noticed she was chewing on something - I smelled her breath and that told the tale. I was so mad I almost did something really stupid and that's really hitting her . I scolded her and put her in her crate (another thing I didn't want to do is make her think her crate was a place for punishment), but I had to get her away from me because I was so angry. Does anyone else have feelings like this. Now I'm at work, feeling really guilty and I want to go home and love her. I think I know how to fix the problem with the cat box for good, but I was hoping she'd just give it up. Hopefully eventually she's stay out of the cat poop, such a disgusting thing - why do dogs do that - Carrie - why do dogs like to eat disgusting things?????

My dog used to do the same thing. he once ate poo. I don't see any point of punishing Tess as she was exploring, tasting a lot of things. Who hasn't anyways had the thought of touching human poop? (Gross!) My dog ate poo once and then he never ever ate again. Just when you see her eating poop tell her a big loud NO! And stay away from her. This will get Tess to socialize that eating poo means punishment and you staying away from her. Don't worry, it's a dogs nature.
    Puppies are a bundle of joy, dogs, are life's happiness.

I know I can relate!

Last night I took Dixie to agility class and she acted like she had never been around other dogs. She wanted to smell all the dogs butts. She is normally not like this so I was very frustrated that she wouldn't listen and wanted to shake her. She was oblivious to my anger too which made me even more mad.

I ignored her after class until it was time to go to bed. After I cooled down and thought about the situation, I realize she was probably checking all the dogs out to see if any were her puppies. This is the first night we were back in agility class since her birthday party! I'm sure we will have a better experience next time!

We have all felt like that at sometime!!!!

The trick is to realise it only brings feelings of guilt and achieves very little - easier to say than do! Give yourself a break, we all have bad days.

As for eating poo....youwill never be able to keep her out of the litter box - it is a natural behaviour and she can't help herself. The easiest thing to do is move it to where she can't get at it.

There are a couple of reasons that dogs eat disgusting things. For some it is a learned behaviour. As pups they see their mother cleaning up the nest area by eating the debris (poo, really). It is partly instinctive as wolves are in danger of loosing pups if the nest isn't kept clean. It also aids a wild canid to eat anything that is edible - poo is only digested food and will still have some nutritional value, as will horse poo and cow poo and sheep poo -Paddy's favourites! It may also supply the dog with information about prey animals in the area. Cat poo seems to be very tasty indeed - probably due to the highly flavoured food that cats are fed. Unlike cats, the dog family are not pure meat eaters and eat a variety of less yukky things too - wolves will eat herbs, berries and fish....anything that's going!

Thank you Carrie for your reply. I really feel bad about getting so mad at her this morning. This is the first dog I've had and it's hard for me to get used to this. There isn't anything Tess could do to make me more angry than this. Your right, the best thing to do is keep her away from the cat box and I've done that, except this a.m. I wasn't watching her as closely as I usually do. It isn't her fault and I realize that. I don't think this will make me as angry again as it did today, hopefully I can keep her out of it for good. I just can't wait to get home and give her loves. Just hope the litter breath will have worn off by the time I get home cause I'm bound to get a lot of puppy kisses I have to be honest and say I don't think I'll ever have another dog, cats are much cleaner by nature it seems.

I really have to say at this point in time there isn't anything that angers me about either of my dogs behavior. That is to say, we've come a long way baby because I've been at that stage many times early on. I suppose if Hannah ever got out of the yard and took off again, I'd be angry. We are so very careful that she just hasn't had the opportunity and the last time she did do it, she really didn't go that far (just across the street) and came back on her own fairly quickly. So even that behavior has improved from the time she went for blocks and blocks with us in hot pursuit (early in the morning through the back yards )

Having had dogs who reliably came when called, this is the behavior I most wish I could have with Hannah. Tucker is a pretty good kid, despite a rare poop in house.

AHHHHHHHHHH PURRLEY, ,
    What you just said, & on the Dog board too. LOL. LOL.
    Sure hope the rest of your day goes better for you !!! Liz.

Rachel - I keep Tess on a leash at all times now, but I must say when I first got her and took her out for potty without a leash, she took off and wouldn't come to me. I was chasing up the street in my jammies and huge Snow Leopard slippers . I know she'd run from me if a gave her the chance, by no means to we have the " come " command down.

WHOOP's Liz Bud - forgot where I was I just feel that way today - tomorrow, who knows, I might be in the market for several more dogs (but I don't think so ).

Purrley

Found this on a past topic about kitty litter. Might be helpful.
    CleverCatBox

If that doesn't work, maybe setting it atop a wooden footstool, etc. Shouldn't need to be too high to keep a Chi out.
    Last edited by Freckles; 01-29-2002 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks Freckles - my cats would never use it - they're used to the open boxes and a certain cat litter - changing their routine would only cause cat problems, but thanks for the thought

We had this same problem with Louie. I solved it by going to a thrift store and buying an old endtable cabinet type thing. Pryed the top off and put the litter box inside now they have there own private "Kitty Komode". We have access but Louie does not and since it's outta sight,... it seems to be outta mind.

Lou - INGENIOUS!!!!!

Purrley, I had the same problem before, not only with the litter box, but with cat food on the floor. I used a baby gate across the door. Low enough that the cats could easily get over, but the dogs couldn't. Have I suggested that before? As I'm saying it, I'm thinking I did and you told me your cats wouldn't jump the gate....sorry if I'm repeating myself!!

That OK Logan - and yep I said my cats wouldn't jump the gate. Anything different in their routine would be a problem for me and I have one dog, but 4 cats. I'll just have to be more deligent in making sure Tess doesn't get in the cat room and curb my anger in the meantime - can't wait to get home to love her today!!!!!