View Full Version : Discuss!!!

vampire_87
08-25-2005, 06:28 AM
Too much attention is paid to and too much money is spent on keeping pets, while people throughout the world are starving.

discuss the arguments for and against keeping pets???:confused: :confused: :confused:

Pawsitive Thinking
08-25-2005, 08:36 AM
DOH! didn't know there was a reason not to keep pets

Barbara
08-25-2005, 08:45 AM
Humans, animals and pets (and the trees and the stones) are one world and one nature.

Humans are the ones who have responsibility for that nature. This means their human sisters and brothers and also their animal sisters and brothers.

If they neglect and kill the other players in nature then at the end they will kill themselves.

This is a plain and simple answer that tries not to be provocative while your question comes over plain and simple but is meant to provoke.

slick
08-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Too much attention is paid to and too much money is spent on keeping pets, while people throughout the world are starving.
Well, that certainly is a bold statement coming from someone who has a dog and a cat. What are you going to do if one of your pets needed medical attention?

As for the starving people in the world....I'm not even going there because my opinions are strong and would make people angry if I posted them here.

Actually, I think this thread belongs in the Doghouse.

furrykidsmother
08-25-2005, 08:59 AM
I agree with Slick. This is a thread I can't even express my opinion of.

Randi
08-25-2005, 09:00 AM
I certainly don't think that too much attention and money are spent on animals! As Barbara points out, humans, nature and animals are one big family and we should all make an effort to to live in harmony. :)

I don't think caring for animals will have any effect on how many people are starving in the world.

A lot of animals are now extinct, this affect the rest of the nature, and if people continiue to ruin the nature, we'll all pay for it in the end. In fact we already are!

Do you ever think of coming generations?

Samantha Puppy
08-25-2005, 09:32 AM
This is a ridiculous statement. What happens when one of your pets needs medical attention? Do you say "Sorry Scrappy, there are starving people in the world so I'm not going to spend my money on you"? :rolleyes:

I have more of a problem with game shows giving away expensive prizes and money to people who are obviously well-off enough to travel to places like LA or NYC. Try chewing on that.

JenBKR
08-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Boy are you in the wrong place! There will always be starving people, regardless of pets. So what do we do, not have pets? Then animals will run the streets wild, but we can't spay/neuter them because that costs money, so what do we do? Let's let the millions of starving dogs and cats roam the streets and continue to reproduce, does this make sense to you??? People spending millions of dollars on material items are the ones you should be taking to. This really does belong in the doghouse

lvpets2002
08-25-2005, 09:38 AM
I am just beside myself that anyone on the this web site would even start a Thread like this :mad: ..
I have to state that Slick took the words right out of my mouth..

binka_nugget
08-25-2005, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by vampire_87
Too much attention is paid to and too much money is spent on keeping pets

No such thing. ;)

JenBKR
08-25-2005, 09:42 AM
hmm, I have a feeling we are feeding a troll?

lvpets2002
08-25-2005, 09:45 AM
:rolleyes: Well that figures & with the name they have fits & needs to be bumped.. Its these ones that using up our presious space..

JenBKR
08-25-2005, 09:49 AM
lvpets I agree 100%. I got upset at first, but then thought why would someone join a forum and start such a thread as a first post. To upset people of course! Not worth our time and energy.

Pawsitive Thinking
08-25-2005, 10:03 AM
discuss the arguments for and against keeping pets???

Am I just being naive? I assumed this was done tongue-in-cheek because of the confused icons.............

JenBKR
08-25-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Brody's Mum
Am I just being naive? I assumed this was done tongue-in-cheek because of the confused icons.............

Maybe you're right, and I just jumped to a conclusion. If that is the case I apologize. I just thought it was odd that someone would make this thread their first post. Hope I didn't upset anyone :(

Samantha Puppy
08-25-2005, 10:13 AM
My first assumption was that maybe they were asking for a discussion for a school/debate assignment. Then I changed my mind and I'm calling 'troll'.

cloverfdx
08-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Dont feed the "Troll" :rolleyes:.

Animals are better than most people, i would rather spend money on my animals ;).

lv4dogs
08-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy

I have more of a problem with game shows giving away expensive prizes and money to people who are obviously well-off enough to travel to places like LA or NYC. Try chewing on that.

What about the home makeover shows that tears down houses that are still suitable for living, hell some of the houses they tear down are better than my house.
Then they go & fill them with tons of un-necassary items, which probably ups their electric bill to 3 times the amount it was before. What do they do, pay their bills for them too? If they couldn't afford to live the way they lived how can they afford larger bills?

They could help out about 10 families in need instead of overdoing it all on one family.

Anita Cholaine
08-25-2005, 12:18 PM

This is so ridiculous. They are two diferent things: starving people and having pets. We won't solve the world hunger problem stoping spending money on our pets...

Do we have to say that if dogs and cats didn't exist, we would live in a world without starving people???

A dog or a cat just need some food, medical attention when they need it and love, it's not so much... And it's a lot what we receive from animals....There's so much money spent on stupid things (as we can see on tv shows, for example) but animals is not one of this things...

I hope you take care well of your cat and dog...:rolleyes:

dukedogsmom
08-25-2005, 12:32 PM
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/Trolls1.jpg

JenBKR
08-25-2005, 12:34 PM
dukedogsmom that picture is so funny LOL!

buttercup132
08-25-2005, 12:34 PM
why are you apart of somethign that loves pets if you dont? if you dont think you should care properly for pets then dont own them thats youropinion i know many MANY others billions who think way different your just being very foolish why would we give up loving animals that may have changed peoples lives for the better, made them come out of depression,make serial pulsie(sp) and other awful challanging things and animals that have helped little kids defeat all odds and come through i advise you to watch animal miracles then ask yourself the question you just asked everyone, its more like if we didnt have any animals half the human population would be dead , oh ya and what about the dogs that work in the police force and catch criminals should we stop feeding them and stuff too so they can not have enough energy to catch bad guy or find missing family members? I DONT THINK SO! if you have pets i think you need to get rid of them cause they arent any good living with someone who sounds like they dont care about them! i will NEVER stop spoiling and spending money on my pets and if you dont like that then thats your problem! SO HA!

kittycats_delight
08-25-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/Trolls1.jpg

Me smells one too. Has anyone checked out the profile?

Biography: Vampire
ICQ # : 132 big fake

Me definately smells another rat. Also this is their first post. Newcomer today. Same story everyday. Someone signs up starts this nonsense and disappears. Boy they don't quit easy and they are very easily amused. Go figure. Must be a very boring life living the life of a vampire or troll whichever you prefer. :rolleyes:

beeniesmom
08-25-2005, 01:05 PM

discuss the arguments for and against keeping pets???:confused: :confused: :confused:

go away.... you've come to the wrong forum.

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-25-2005, 01:08 PM
Go away, this is a place for petlovers! We hate trolls here!:mad:

luvofallhorses
08-25-2005, 01:15 PM
:rolleyes: Why in the world did you come to a site where there are pet lovers all over the world here. I can't believe someone would ask that. :rolleyes:

popcornbird
08-25-2005, 01:46 PM
Showing kindness to God's creatures is definitely an act to be admired for. Showing kindness to God's creatures should not be restricted ONLY to human beings, but also to animals, who are living beings with feelings just as our own. Yes there are starving people in this world, but one doesn't have to stop spending money on animals to spend money on the poor. A good, caring person would spend on the poor and hungry whether they have pets or not. I think having and caring for an animal is a very rewarding deed, one to be commended for. Animals are living beings. Its not like we are spending on a life-less object, like a rock...while people die of hunger in this world.

Pets have nothing to do with that. What's bad is wasting food when so many have nothing to eat. Most of our local restaurants throw their leftovers away in the night so they can make fresh food in the morning. THAT is a waste, and THAT is something SO many hungry people could have benefitted from. What does feeding pets have to do with hungry people? Pets are living beings and need to eat as much as we do, AND when WE are responsible for them, WE have to feed them. :rolleyes: Are you saying that animals should be left to starve? What cruel, narrowminded thinking...

jackie
08-25-2005, 02:34 PM
While I think this thread was created to provoke and anger, it also raises a few valid questions. I would like to think that most people on this site are calm and levelheaded enough to respond in a thoughtful manner or not respond at all.A lot of you seem to be taking this as a personal attack. The creator of this thread said nothing about that being his personal belief. It is a question to see your thoughts on the subject.

First of all, I do not put animals and human beings on the same platform. A human life is much more sacred than any animals. I still love my animals more than most people, don't get me wrong there, but they are not human.

I don't believe by giving up our animals or cutting our expenses on pets, we will cure poverty or starvation. I love my animals and for all the love and happiness the bring me, I will spend fortunes.

As for the subject of human starvation, billions of dollars are spent annually on poverty relief, and as I see it, it just creates more hungry people. If we spent a fraction of that money on birth control, i think within 20 years poverty and starvation would be drastically reduced. People in these are areas (epecially African nations) are starving because they do not have the means to support such a large population. I am NOT saying let them all starve, but by introducing more birth control and education in these areas, it will insure future generations do not have to suffer the horrors of famine.

If this thread has any purpose, I hope it opens your eyes to human overpopulation.

*edited for spelling and bolding

Lady's Human
08-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Many people are starving worldwide not because their countries don't ave the food to feed them, but simply because they're from the wrong tribe/religion etc. CNN went into a market in somalia while people were starving and found merchants unwilling to sell food because the prices weren't high enough, and a government that didn't care because the starving people weren't of their tribe.

IRescue452
08-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Animals naturally thin themselves out. When there is overpopulation with starvation and disease many die and balance reoccurs. Humans are so afraid of death that we have the strictest rules and laws against natural thinning. We keep ourselves alive and others through whatever means we can and we work more and more technology to keep us alive longer. Hmmm... Not the dogs' faults that there are too many two-leggers for the earth to handle. Then again,which of us has a right to choose who lives and who dies. The ability to comprehend "morals" has stripped us of the natural thinning process.

jackie
08-25-2005, 04:09 PM
^ I think you and me are on the same wavelength IRescue452

:D

NoahsMommy
08-26-2005, 07:00 AM
Guys, don't let this troll anger you...its not worth it...

This "person" is obviously bored and has nothing better to do.

Now, go pet and love your furballs. ;)

NoahsMommy
08-26-2005, 07:01 AM

You've illustrated WHY with your HIGHLY intelligent question...

moosmom
08-26-2005, 02:10 PM
I'm with JenBKR. I'm not even going to glorify this with a post.

I do smell a troll. ESPECIALLY if you look to see exactly HOW many times he's posted.

ONE. What does THAT tell you????

Kfamr
08-26-2005, 02:37 PM
I work hard for my money. I work hard to spoil and support my pets.
There's a lot of homeless people who have no care to even learn what the word "work" means.

IRescue452
08-26-2005, 09:12 PM
Troll or no troll its just a discussion question to think on, I don't understand why somebody posts something like this once and then goes away, honestly what's the point in making a forum name and posting a thread if you aren't going to look at the forum again?

kittycats_delight
08-26-2005, 09:45 PM
They do it to cause arguments and to irritate which it seems they have done rather well in this instance.

vampire_87
08-26-2005, 10:51 PM
calm down , everybody. i only want to talk about some social problems. why r u angry with me, everything i said that true. u can agree or disagree with it. thanks...

RICHARD
08-27-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by kittycats_delight
Boy they don't quit easy and they are very easily amused.

Dear KCD

What did I do to you?????

Signed,

Easily Amused.

;)

This is food for thought.
Animals/pets are a totally different concept in othre parts of the world.
A luxury/companion/friend for us. Food and a means of making money in other countries.

It is a socio-economic question-one that you must look towards the heads of the countries where famiine, disease and bad leadership are par for the course.

We can only help the countries who ask, who want our help.

The line about "giving a man a fish and feed him for a day" is appropriate we have taught many nations how to fish....

The leaders of those countries amek sure that they are at the dock when the boats come....they take the best fish and leave the fisherman to struggle.

my opinion.:confused:

catland
08-27-2005, 03:13 PM
Assuming that the original statement was meant as a geniune starting point for debate - :p , I'll answer the question.

Your original statement insinuates that money spent on pets is depriving people of food. As a species, we are capable of producing enough food to feel the planet, but dictators and warlords keep the food from their people. Therefore, the argument of starving people is not a valid reason to deny people the pleasure of keeping and pampering their compainion animals.

Now, clawed furniture and cat barf - there's some compelling arguments.:eek: ;)

Corinna
08-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Kay , you took the words exactly out of my mouth.

grybai
08-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Although I think the tone of the question was rather belligerant, I do think it is a valid one. I have to say I fall somewhere along the middle.

As much as I love my pets, in many ways they are luxery items. The amount I spend on food, grooming, toys, training etc highly depends on the amount I am willing and able to spend on them. They and the care they receive are directly related to the amount of extra money I have around at the end of the month after paying my bills, not unlike the money I spend I on entertainment and nonessentials. Although the money spent on their care and upkeep may have become essential, initially when I chose to acquire them they were not neccessary to my living. Also, although I am happy to provide them homes and to have rescued from the shelter, they are mainly in my possession because they provide me with happiness. After all, why would I have pets if they didn't make me happy?

I do honestly think it's a little silly when very wealthy people (including celebrities) spend thousands on silly things for their animals, like diamond studded collars and fancy beds. My pets don't have the best, most expensive food or litter box or collar. My purchasing decisions are based on quality versus price.

To be honest, I also sometimes cringe when an animal has suffered from tremendous abuse and there are these huge rewards to find the perpetrator. Unless they are from wealthy or famous background, there are just so many children out there who are raped and abused and nothing is done about it.

Also, although there are many people who are poor because in some ways they "deserve it" whether it be because of drugs, or alcohol or even lack of determination [I especially can't stand it when people who can't even support themselves, proceede to have a bunch of kids], there are just so many people who are stuggling to improve their situation but are unable to. People who are working 2 to 3 jobs and are still living from pay check to pay check, making it impossible to get ahead. And it's often hard to get benefits because a lot of jobs require you to work full time and then schedule all employees under 40 hrs a week.

I do think it is a social responsibility to help the less fortunate, and I feel very guilty because I live a rather selfish lifestyle and do not do nearly enough. HOWEVER, I am inclined to feel much less guilty about the money I spend on animals, than the money I spend on clothes, going out, my computer and my fancy high speed internet connection. The amount of money I have spent on clothes, electronics and travel would probably have helped a lot of people, and I think that as far as sacrifices I should make, those are the ones that should be a priority.

Den Anne Pen
08-28-2005, 05:14 AM
Now i have to ask a question WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU MAKE A STATEMENT LIKE THAT ON A SITE THAT IS ABOUT PETS ?

Now a few other things to ask you

1- do you pay for my animals?
2- do you pay for the care and food of my animals?
3- Why should i feel oglagated to support people who can get a job themselves.
4- Last but not least if your not paying my bills and my animal cost then WHY would you say what i should do with my moeny that i word for
Weather i choose to help people that are starving or animals what diffence does it really make to you?

Sorry if i'm alittle harsh here but i really think that comment was'nt a smart one

NoahsMommy
08-28-2005, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Den Anne Pen
Now i have to ask a question WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU MAKE A STATEMENT LIKE THAT ON A SITE THAT IS ABOUT PETS ?

Now a few other things to ask you

1- do you pay for my animals?
2- do you pay for the care and food of my animals?
3- Why should i feel oglagated to support people who can get a job themselves.
4- Last but not least if your not paying my bills and my animal cost then WHY would you say what i should do with my moeny that i word for
Weather i choose to help people that are starving or animals what diffence does it really make to you?

Sorry if i'm alittle harsh here but i really think that comment was'nt a smart one
You've said EXACTLY what was on my mind! ;)

I can't even add to it...perfect!!

kuhio98
08-28-2005, 10:44 AM
I think this person's intentions were to get a conversation started by throwing out a bold statement. I think their profile shows indicates that English may not be their first language. My opinion was that they just wanted to get a conversation started not to cause problems. I wish everyone would assume that a person's intention is innocent before slamming them.

Den Anne Pen
08-28-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by kuhio98
My opinion was that they just wanted to get a conversation started not to cause problems.

That may be all well and good, but somebody who throws out comments like that should also expect the same right back at them.

Furthermore, if all that was being done is starting a conversation, only to find such a negitive respone, then he/she shouldn't come back and continue to enrage this freindly comminuty with comments like:
i only want to talk about some social problems. why r u angry with me, everything i said that true. u can agree or disagree with it.

'Ey, Vampire87. this isn't a board for social issues, its a board for Pet Owners.

Dufuss.

jackie
08-28-2005, 06:44 PM
^ This is also the doghouse, which I though was for controversial subjects.
:confused:

kittycats_delight
08-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by jackie
^ This is also the doghouse, which I though was for controversial subjects.
:confused:

But this was not originally posted in the dog house it was posted in general where if would get the most views and most responses. I think there was a reason for posting it there. It was moved here from it's original place.

Den Anne Pen
08-29-2005, 12:51 AM
OH i just read vamp.87 profile and did'nt relize he/she was a kid i thought this comment was coming from an adult.
Although i still stick behind what i have said i do also
relize that he/she has'nt really expericenced life or work as an adult and does not know the value of moeny you work for so a comment like that can be expected from a kid :)

vampire_87
08-29-2005, 05:18 AM
thank you very much,Den Anne Pen. i read some profiles and i see nobody agree with me. I'm 18 years old, and i'm learning English. Therefore very difficult for me to reply some ideas. If i said wrong anything, sorry...:( :( :(

cute_pup
08-29-2005, 05:36 AM
:( Hi, sorry if everybody just got a little angry its just that we are all pet lovers and we got a little offended.I can see you are only trying to create conversation and that you are also very sorry if you offended anybody. And everybody he was only trying to create conversation, just didnt exactly know how,besides he owns a cat and a dog, which means he is probably on our side, he just tried to show the other point of view!!You just started on the wrong foot, lets start again....

Hi, i think a good reason for keeping and spendig on pets is because it is our responsibility to look after them, we are the ones who destroyed their habitat in the first place.
Besides they are probably more loving than humans and......I could go on for ever.

Noe everybody i think we should give him another chance!!!

:) :)

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Ok, I just think we should take care of animals and people...but most of the time, it's out of our control to take care of people...but not animals, and animals need our help too!! They're totally helpless really (especially strays and homeless animals) and depend on us. And homeless people have NOTHING to do with our animals and pets, ok??!! We're talking about animals, not people here!!! Ok, I'm done talking!