PDA

View Full Version : *PT Prayers please for a dieing Mother Dog and 6 puppies*

Aspen and Misty
03-06-2005, 04:55 PM
While browsing PT I found a thread in Dog Rescue posted by AngelEyez1982 about a stray Chow and her 6 puppies found in her neighborhood - Here is the thread - http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?threadid=72974

Anyway, my sister lives in Myrtle Beach SC about 2 hours from where she lives. My sister is coming down next Friday for my fathers wedding and as most of you know I own an animal rescue. My sister agreed to bring the dog to me and I contacted Krystal (AngelEyez1982) and we set up a time for my sister and her to meet.

My sister picked up the dog on Saturday and made the trip home. The Chow was skinny and apeared it be old, but other whys seemed in good health. My sister took her for a long, half hour walk and when they came home they noticed she was bleeding from her hind end. My sister called the E-vet because her normal vet was closed. The E-vet said it could be nothing since she just had puppies only 5 days ago. My sister did not take the dog in at the time but later the Chow began to bleed heavily. My sister called the vet and said that she was brigining in the Chow and her 6 puppies. The vet took one look at the dog and said that he wanted to run blood test for heartworm. Sadly, the Chow tested positive for heartworms and is in the most adavanced stages of the dieses. Not only does she have heartworm, but she has ringworm and roundworm also. :( We are not sure how much longer she will live, or if she will live, but things are not looking good for her or her six puppies. :(

My sister asked the vet if she will be able to finish nursing her puppies and he said "Lets Hope" :(

We aren't sure what is going to happen, the Chow is going to my sisters normal vet on Monday (he sees alot of heartworm cases :( ). We will see then what is best for the mom and pups. If the mom is in alot of pain, we will go ahead and put her down and bottle feed the puppies. We are hopeing and praying she can finish nursing the puppies.

Please keep the mom, her six puppies, my sister and me in your prayers. My sister is working hard to keep the mom comfortable and get her the help she needs. I am working hard to pay the bills for this since my sister is just a foster home. Last nights bill totaled to $180.00, tomrrow will bring another vet bill and the puppies need heartworm medicine, rignworm medicine and round worm medicine when they get to be 8 weeks old plus all there normal shots. Thankfully, right now my dad is useing his cedit care to pay over the phone for the bills and he is allowing me to slowly pay him back. I only have a part time job though so it may take me awhile. No matter what though the mom and puppies will get the best help there is.

Thanx for letting me ramble and thanx ahead of time for the prayers, we all apreciate it during this hard time,
Ashley

LorraineO
03-06-2005, 04:59 PM
wow,,, youre a true angel as is your dear ol dad for helping you with $$$,,,, I will pray hard for this lovely chow mommy and her babies....

carole
03-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Oh my gosh this is so incredibly sad, I remember reading the first thread all about her and her puppies, what a sweetheart you are to help her, I wish only the best outcome for this poor wee girl and her puppies,positive vibes being sent your way, and please keep us updated.

chocolatepuppy
03-06-2005, 05:15 PM
The mommy dog and her puppies will be in my thoughts and prayers, as will you and you sister. So sad. :(

RobiLee
03-06-2005, 05:15 PM
Such a sad story. I will say a prayer for you all this evening. I'm wishing you all the best and hope everything turns out well. Please keep us up to date.

Robin

Jadapit
03-06-2005, 05:17 PM
That is so sad.:( I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Karen
03-06-2005, 05:19 PM
How very, very sad. Mommapup and the babies will be in our prayers, as will your sister and you.

Corinna
03-06-2005, 07:18 PM
I'm so glad you were able to get her. We here will be praying for mom and pups also your sister. I hope your vet can think of some way to help this wonderful mom.

delidog
03-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Oh,You are Breaking My Heart!!!

I saw the Thread on this Chow Mommy!!!
I didn't know that the situation worsened...

Poor,Poor Mommy Dog!!!!!

I will Pray for Her!!!

And Those Precious Pups!!!!
I am Praying for them Too!!!

I Thank You and your Family for your Kindness and Devotion!!!

All Toughts and Prayers are with You & the Chow Family!!!!

luckies4me
03-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Poor mom. :( Urrgh this makes me so sad! :(

white tiger
03-07-2005, 04:37 PM
thats horrable!!! im going to cry! i feel so mad but not at them. tell them im hoping for the best. poor doggies:( :mad:

tatsxxx11
03-07-2005, 04:56 PM
How heartbreaking!:( The poor Mamadog and her puppies and you and your sister are all in my prayers. What a wonderful thing your family is doing, helping these innocent creatures. Hoping for a miracle.

shutterbug0303
03-07-2005, 05:47 PM
That is so sad! That poor girl and her pups!!! I'm glad you posted this because I was curious as to what came of these babies. I am here in MB myself and offered to help in any way possible. Glad you were able to get them and now they are being treated. I hope things turn out great for the family. What an angel to take care of them. Please keep us updated.

Aspen and Misty
03-07-2005, 10:24 PM
And the vet bills Soar -
I am now $408.00 in "debt" to my dad. I don't know how I'm going to pay for this. :(

And momma gets worse -
She has been eating regular, Chicken Soup, puppy food since Saturday. My sisters normal vet did X-rays on her today and we found out that she isn't passing it. It is all sitting in her intestines and stomach. She now on a special food and more medcine for it. We also found out some good news, her kidneys aren't failing on her. We also found out some bad news, she is definitly in the most advanced stage of it and could have a heart attack. She is not to exersise and isn't to get stressed out.

We still don't know what is going to happen. We might put momma To sleep this friday since she is so sick and bring the puppies up here to be bottle fed. Or we might leave them down there and see how long momma lives (as long as she isn't in pain) and then pick them up over easter. Either way doesn't sound good to me. I want momma to live and the babies to be healthy. :( I have been crying almost all day because of this. These poor, sweet inocent babies and momma. :(

I will keep you all updated on what happens, please keep us in your thoughts and prayers still
Ashley

Oggyflute
03-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Thoughts and best wishes, for mum and the pups. :(

LauraT7
03-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Hi Aspen -

I have a friend in NC who works for a rescue, and her specialty is rescueing and saving high risk puppies they have rescued in cases similar to this - Nana Betty has saved countless puppies, so I e-mailed her this thread - perhaps she has some ideas that might help you, or maybe even her rescue might be able to take them in.

I think it's great you are trying to help and I admire your big heart- but i am really worried about transporting puppies that young, that far - esp if their momma can't make it. The pups probably have worms and health problems, too - if mom is in that bad a shape.

As far as funding - have you tried applying to any of the pet emergency charities, like IMOM? they helped me cover the bills when my Tristan had Cancer, and have an 'emergency fund' for immediate needs like this -

http://www.imom.org/

also

http://www.thepetfund.com/

or

http://www.uan.org/lifeline/index.html

also - for ongoing and very EASY fundraising for YOUR rescue, try this -

http://www.cashforcritters.com/

collecting and recycling cartridges is a great 'base' for fundraising - it doens't make tons of money, but it can be a very steady income for a small group. best of all, in these tight times when donations are hard to come by - people are very willing to donate ink cartridges to you, as it doesn't cost anyone, anything!

You get a couple of businesses to save their cartridges for you, and you've got a nice steady income for vet bills and food!

I set up an account to raise fund myself for Tristan, and am keeping it going to pay off the small amount i still owe on his cancer treatment. when I get it paid off, I plan to continue to send the proceeds from collecting cartridges to IMOM, in Tristan's memory.

I'll keep this poor, sick little family in my prayers!

Laura

LuvGold00
03-08-2005, 12:40 AM
Will be thinking of you, Mamma, and those beautiful puppies!! Please keep us updated on how everyone is.

Vette
03-08-2005, 05:12 AM
Awww. :(

Sending good thoughts your way,, sisters way,, and to the the little fuzheads and mom dogs way,, annnnnd..... for good measure... all paws and fingers are crossed for yaz too! :D

GraciesMommy
03-08-2005, 07:34 AM
Prayers for Chow Mama and puppies...please keep us posted on their prognosis...I hope she will be able to nurse them through out...hugs and bless you for being so kind to them

Aspen and Misty
03-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Thank you Laura, but as of now we do not need another rescues help, although suggestions are always welcome. I have spoken to my vet and she has said it will be fine for the puppies to travel so far (I cleared this before, and after we found out momma was sick). I would never put the puppies in danger and would not have said I could take them before clearing with my vet that it was ok for them to travel this far, I am always very respnsible when dealing with my rescue animals. Me and my vet have been talking about what the puppies will need when they are older, so they will get the help they need no matter what the cost is. Yes, the puppies most likly have worms and will be started on worm medicine when they are old enough. The only health problem momma has is due to the worms she has, since the puppies are younger they will be able to fight it off with help from the medicine.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. We get more test results back today and I will keep you updated.

Ashley

luckies4me
03-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Aspen, how old are you? I know you are very young and I think it is great for someone like you to help animals such as these. If only there were more young people willing to help. This is great of you! Since the mom is in advanced stages of Heartworm Disease I imagine there is no sense in treating her now? I hope the mom survives a bit longer. Poor girl, and poor puppies. It is great you are letting them stay together. Puppies need their mother, if only for a little while. Mom and pups will be in my prayers.

ramanth
03-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Many prayers and healing vibes sent for the momma Chow dog and her puppies.

jenluckenbach
03-08-2005, 04:44 PM
Ash, is there any way for you to get paypal on your petfinder site? (I was looking to send a donation)

Prayers for the pups and best of luck!

QueenScoopalot
03-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Sending many prayers for the mama and pups. What a tragic story, which I hope can have a happy ending with the pups carrying on for mom when she goes to the RB. :(

clara4457
03-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Ashley - ask the vet that is treating the dogs if they will take donations on their behalf. Then you can post an address for the vet and get donations. I would be happy to send a check to the vet to help defray the costs.

Clara

Aspen and Misty
03-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Luckies- I'm 16 and am lucky to have the support of my dad who helps me out alot, expessially before I had a job. Sadly, the mother is too far advanced for treatment, at the moment we are just trying to keep her comfortable.

Jen and clara4457 - Jen, I'll look into setting up an acount and Clara I will call the vet. If they allow me I will post there adress and such on here. Thank you both so much, it is very apreciated ::hugs:: .

Ashley

luckies4me
03-08-2005, 09:06 PM
If you get the address I will send a donation as well. These puppies need help, and so do you! You deserve it! :)

Corinna
03-09-2005, 01:55 AM
Please do post the address for us all. I feel so sad for this chow mama I'm kinda fond of chows. She looks so much like the newfy/chow (only smaller) Dugan awas a petfinder rescue. She is so pretty even as sick as she is. hugs and prayers for her ,puppies,and you.

white tiger
03-09-2005, 05:34 PM
thats too bad she sounds so wonderful. e-mail me her picture please aspen.:( :)

aly
03-09-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
Thank you Laura, but as of now we do not need another rescues help, although suggestions are always welcome. I have spoken to my vet and she has said it will be fine for the puppies to travel so far (I cleared this before, and after we found out momma was sick).

I wouldn't reject the help just yet. Bottlefeeding newborns is HARD enough work when there are just a few, but to take on SIX is a bit much for anyone. I usually can only handle them in pairs and I've had a lot of bottlefeeding experience. I know you live with your family so maybe it will be easier because more people can help. But I do think if that rescue is willing to help, splitting the puppies into 2 groups of 3 would make things MUCH MUCH easier and less stressful.

With that said, I hope mama can be comfortable enough until they are weaned. This story just breaks my heart.

Aspen and Misty
03-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Thank you Aly for the advice, I know you help out alot of doggies in need. As of right now I have 13 willing, adult, volenteers who will help take shifts to feed. I have only made 1 anouncement through my church and if the need arisis I think I would be able to find enough to split the puppies into 3 groups daily and give everyone at least a day or two off before starting over again. Also, it would only be 3 weeks at the most if we had to bottle feed (assuming all take to solid food ok). I am very blessed to have people who are willing to help me. If it was just me bottle feeding I think I would die ;)

I will get an adress for you, thank you all so much for helping out, this is more then I could have ever expected. You all are so wonderful. ::hugs::

Forgot to mention - It seems momma is doing alot better. She still isn't eating like we would like but she is moving around more.

Ashley

Dixieland Dancer
03-10-2005, 03:14 PM
A dear friend of mine lost her mother dog after she delivered 9 pups by emergency c-section. Can you imagine 9 newborn pups without a mom to care for them? It was heartbreaking.

They started looking for other dogs in the area that recently had litters to see if they could find surrogate moms for the babies. Of course we all knew this was the best thing for them if it could be done. So 3 went to one labbie mom and 3 more went to another labbie mom and 3 more went to a golden mom. All nine were returned to my friends house at 7 weeks of age. They all survived and are very healthy today.

The nicest part of this story is that all three families of the surrogate mom's were more than happy to help! Perhaps this could be a solution to your problem also.

You have my best thoughts and wishes for a successful ending to this story. I am also hoping that mom pulls through. She has shown a tremendous desire to live to this point and it's probably because of the care you have shown her!

delidog
03-12-2005, 05:13 AM
You & Your Family should be inducted into Animal Sainthood...
What a Wonderful thing you are doing for this Momma And Her Pups....

Please Give us an Update when you can...

All Thoughts & Prayers are for your Family & The Chow Family

delidog
03-13-2005, 07:24 AM
Any Word on The Pups & The Mom???

Sending positive thoughts & prayers

Aspen and Misty
03-13-2005, 11:40 AM
Hi Delido - Mom has gotten sicker. She is having more trouble moving and is bleeding alot. The puppies have all taken well to the bottle but still like it when momma feeds them best. Right now we are only helping out momma and feeding 2-3 babies per feeding.

Ashley

AngelEyez1982
03-13-2005, 02:51 PM
Hi Ashley,

I am so sorry I haven't been able to keep up with the updates. I'm in the process of moving now and I don't have internet where I'm at.

How is mama and the babies doing? Do you have any updated pictures? If so, email them to me at [email protected].

Please send me the address of the vet as well. I will TRY my hardest to send a donation in helping pay for the bills. I know it's a lot of work, and you are a wonderful person for taking care of them.

-Krystal-

delidog
03-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Oh Poor Mommy Dog...
How sad!!!
I am glad the pups are fareing well

My heart is just breaking for that Momma Dog...So Unnecessary!!!

You are a Rescue Saint...Thank You for all your valiant efforts

white tiger
03-21-2005, 04:42 PM
thats too bad she is beutiful my e-mail adress is [email protected] aspen.:)

luckies4me
03-21-2005, 05:09 PM
Any updates?

aly
03-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Thank you Aly for the advice, I know you help out alot of doggies in need. As of right now I have 13 willing, adult, volenteers who will help take shifts to feed. I have only made 1 anouncement through my church and if the need arisis I think I would be able to find enough to split the puppies into 3 groups daily and give everyone at least a day or two off before starting over again. Also, it would only be 3 weeks at the most if we had to bottle feed (assuming all take to solid food ok). I am very blessed to have people who are willing to help me. If it was just me bottle feeding I think I would die ;)

Wow, care to send those people down when I get my next bottle babies????? ;)

delidog
03-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Has ANYBODY Heard Anything on this Mama and her Pups????

Aspen and Misty
03-22-2005, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by aly
Wow, care to send those people down when I get my next bottle babies????? ;)

LOL, this has to be one of the only times I'm thankful almost everyone in my church is over retierment age! The only downfall to that is they get tierd easily and don't want to take them on for more then one day every couple of days. We can work with that though. I have a found a women who wants to adopt one of the puppies, and works for a rescue in her area to be a bottle feeding mother to any litters who need her. She said she would be willing to take 2 or 3 and bottle feed them till they are compeltly weaned if the need arisis. Which only leaves me and my volenteers with 3 pups. Although, we all know that what people say and what people do are 2 diffrent things and I'm sure I will loose some of my volenteers if the need acctually does arise.

Sorry Delidog, I have been in Flordia on vacation and I havn't had time to update, and there was nothing to update untill last night, and I was just abaout to make a new thread when I saw this one being bumped up so:

UPDATE:

Momma is getting sicker. We are pretty sure these will be her last few days with us. She no longer stands or walks around much. We are having trouble keeping her eating and drinking. Her comfort is the most important thing in this situation so we are making an apointment with our vet today and we are hoping to get her in as soon as possible to be PTS. She is such a lovly girl and my sister says she has never met such a sweet dog, she will be missed dearly.

The puppies are doing really good at eating the "mush" our vet recomended so we think they will do find on the mush and some bottle feeding. They have opened there eyes and have started wagging there tails which is really exiting.

I will keep updateing if there is any news,
Ashley

delidog
03-22-2005, 07:43 AM
Didn't know that you were Close by!!

I am So Sorry for Mama Dog....This just Breaks My Heart..as it was So easily avoidable...
Glad you are geeting help w/the Pups...and a Hoe for 1....

I hope that Mam has A Safe Journey to the Rainbow Bridge....
Though I am So Sad for her...I know that her suffering must end....I hope she knows what a Good Mom shes' been...Please give her a Gentle Hug for me.....*Sniff*

pitc9
03-22-2005, 08:18 AM
Oh how sad....:( at least mamma knows her babies are well taken care of, and she can go in peace.... my heart is breaking.

ramanth
03-22-2005, 08:36 AM
So sad about the momma. :( :( I'm glad the puppies are doing well though.

Pit Chick
03-22-2005, 09:05 AM
Poor mama dog. Major props to you Aspen for helping her and the puppies. At least she will have known some love and happiness before she dies. Mom got the puppies through the most crucial 2 weeks of their lives and I wish you luck with the rest. One of the downsides to hand raising puppies is having to make them go potty and keeping them clean and dry.:eek: Be aware that when they want recreational nursing, they may turn to the boys and start sucking on their little hoo hoos. :rolleyes: Don't let them because they can do damage. It will also be up to you to discipline them as best as you can the way mom would or they will become very out of control little monsters. Don't let them get away with too much bad behavior just because it's cute, you have to let them know you are the boss. Grabbing them around the snout, grabbing them by the scruff and flipping them on their back when they misbehave are similar to what a mama dog would do and it doesn't hurt them. When you start wheening from formula to puppy food, the way we do it is mixing the formula with the puppy food to make mush instead of water. This seems to be easier on the tummies than just cutting them off completely from formula. You'll also want to invest in a puppy play pen to keep the little darlings contained when they get mobile. Good luck sweety. Do you have any pics?

luckies4me
03-22-2005, 03:21 PM
Yes, please post pictures of the sweet little ones. I'm sure we all here would enjoy that. I really miss taking care of orphaned kittens. Ewok, you know was a bottle baby but when I was younger I'd have litters all the time to care for. I'd always do it myself, and somehow managed. Lord knows how I did that! :rolleyes:

I'm happy to hear the pups are fairing well. Please give momma a head scratchie from all of us at Pet Talk. What a sweet and beautiful momma. RIP girl. :(

luckies4me
03-22-2005, 03:21 PM
Meh, now I'm all teary eyed. :(

Aspen and Misty
03-22-2005, 08:40 PM
Thank you everyone. My sister is having a really tough time with this. Momma has been under her care for only a few weeks and she has fallen in love. She said that if she wasn't sick she probly would keep her herself. It is just such a heart braking situation for us all.

Thank you so much for the advice Pit Chick! We have been doing some research but I find first hand acounts to be the best :) My sister got a food that "mushes" really good and mixes it with formula, but the puppies don't like the taste and won't eat it. So she added a little canned food (after talking to her vet). She will slowly ease out the canned food and get them just on the "mush" then when there teeth come in they will gradually be put on just solid food.

Delidog, if I would have known you lived in flordia we could have set up a time to meet, that is if you are anywhere near Orlando! We most likly will go down next year around this time so maybe then!! :)

Ashley

micki76
03-22-2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Meh, now I'm all teary eyed. :(

Me too. :( :( :( Poor Momma Dog. :(

Bless you and your family Ash. THANK YOU for all you do!

{{{{{Hugs}}}}}

Corinna
03-22-2005, 08:49 PM
I know this sounds selfish or what ever but can't your sister give a home as she has such a short life left? I fell in love with her pictures she looks like our Dugan (we rescued on petfinder)

delidog
03-22-2005, 10:11 PM
I just say "Bless You" for doing what you can do

Bless the "Mommy Dog"!!!
She is a Special Soul!!!!
I Know that You will Keep her Safe & Comfortable

Yes,Next Year....When You Visit "Hurricane Central"

Please Come Visit!!!

Uabassoon
03-22-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Corinna
I know this sounds selfish or what ever but can't your sister give a home as she has such a short life left?

I think Ash ment that if the Momma dog wasn't sick her sister would have kept her permanantly. I think she will be staying with her sister until it is her time to cross to the RB.

Aspen and Misty
03-23-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I think Ash ment that if the Momma dog wasn't sick her sister would have kept her permanantly. I think she will be staying with her sister until it is her time to cross to the RB.

Yes, momma dog, or any dog who enters my rescue has a permint place to stay untill they are adopted. Since momma dog will never be adopted, she was provided with a loving home to spend the rest of her days in. Our plan was to let her live till she tells us she is ready to go and we think she has. She doesn't move much, won't lift her head and she is starting to drool uncontrollable. We feel it is in the best intrest of momma, and she is our number one concern, that she be PTS as soon as possible because we now think she is suffering. Her job with her puppies is done and I think she knows that. My sister has taken over being "mom" to them and feeds them everyday and even when they are with momma, which is rare, they don't want to nurse just play.

Delidog - I most certainly will, it would be great to meet you :D

Ashley

AngelEyez1982
03-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Yes, momma dog, or any dog who enters my rescue has a permint place to stay untill they are adopted. Since momma dog will never be adopted, she was provided with a loving home to spend the rest of her days in. Our plan was to let her live till she tells us she is ready to go and we think she has. She doesn't move much, won't lift her head and she is starting to drool uncontrollable. We feel it is in the best intrest of momma, and she is our number one concern, that she be PTS as soon as possible because we now think she is suffering. Her job with her puppies is done and I think she knows that. My sister has taken over being "mom" to them and feeds them everyday and even when they are with momma, which is rare, they don't want to nurse just play.

Delidog - I most certainly will, it would be great to meet you :D

Ashley

That is so horrible that she is suffering. :( I wish I had found her sooner to give her a better and healthier life. Thank you so much to you and your sister for taking care of them. When do you think you will put mama to sleep? Please give her a big head rub for me.

Corinna
03-23-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm sorry to hear its time so soon at least she did know unconditonal love . Safe jurney to the bridge Mommy.

white tiger
03-23-2005, 04:12 PM
how sad:(

delidog
03-24-2005, 04:20 AM
*Sniff*

Thoughts & Prayers are with you,your sister and Sweet Mama Dog