PDA

View Full Version : Update on Ebby

ChrisH
01-04-2005, 04:58 PM
We went to the vets tonight and her tail was bandaged up in the hope that, though she can reach it, (the end, where it won't heal because she bites at it) the bandage will stop her actually biting. (It has been on around three and a half hours now - fingers crossed.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Ebby%20Girl%202/PB2.jpg

She also has more antibiotics to take, but a different type and just one a day. I am to take her back next Tues when if it has not signifcantly improved she stay there and have surgery to remove the end of her tail.

Last night I locked up her room so she didn't have the chance to wedge herself somewhere in there and pull the cone off again. (And poor Bob was crated once more). To my surprise she spent the night on my bed! :) She slept well but I didn't, I was crammed near the edge and kept waking up worried I might push her off! :)

Anyway, that's about it ..I am very tired right now so I won't go into the story of how the Pet insurance company has really got me mad ...

Chris

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Awww...poor Ebby with her wrapped up tail. I sure hope the antibiotics and her not biting on it do the trick so it doesn't have to be removed - ouchie! She looks so sad with her bandage and cone on.

Sweet kissies to you Ebby. I'm sorry you have to go through all this, but please don't hate your meowmy because of it. She is only trying to do what's best for you.

Chris, sleeping on the edge of the bed so as not to disturb the furbabies is normal practice around our house. You get used to teetering on the edge of the bed. ;)

captain
01-04-2005, 05:12 PM
Chris,

I hope Ebby will shove over tonight and give you some more room ............. :D

Laura's Babies
01-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Poor baby, I just WISH that tail would heal!

But I had to take one of my Mama's cat to have a tail removed ... The cat didn't even notice it was gone so it is really no big deal to her kitty.

Prairie Purrs
01-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Poor Ebby girl! :(

Does her skin kind of twitch along her spine? If so, she might have feline hyperesthesia. My Cricket has that and started attacking her tail. After a long effort with cones and bandages, the vet finally amputated her tail. Now she's a bunny butt, but she doesn't have any more self-biting problems.

NoahsMommy
01-04-2005, 06:15 PM
Wow, that looks like a really good bandage job!! Hopefully it'll help her avoid surgery.

Ebby, honey. I know it itches and hurts, but you've got to leave that tail alone, OK??

I'm sorry the insurance is giving you a hard time. I'm learning insurance, of any type, don't seem to be service orientent.

Get some sleep. I'll be praying healing prayers. :)

QueenScoopalot
01-04-2005, 06:26 PM
Poor Ebby girl. I hope you leave that lampshade on! You are the life of the party little girl...if only you'd leave that tail alone. Has the vet ever mentioned what CatsinDenver mentioned "feline hyperesthesia". May be worth bringing up if Ebby's tail doesn't start getting better. :( ;) Kisses pitiful girl. :(

rg_girlca
01-04-2005, 08:17 PM
Awww poor sweet Ebby. She definitely does not look too happy in that picture.

I hope and pray that the bandage idea works and she won't have to have the tip of her tail amputated.

krazyaboutkatz
01-04-2005, 11:30 PM
Poor Ebby.:( I sure hope that her tail will heal so she won't need surgery. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way.

shais_mom
01-04-2005, 11:49 PM
poor sweet Ebby!
Get well soon!

DogLover9501
01-05-2005, 12:58 AM
Poor Ebby :(

She looks *so* happy ;) :p

I hope that she stops biting at her tail, and that it doesn't have to be removed-big OUCH!

sasvermont
01-05-2005, 05:21 AM
Dear Ebby,

Your Mom is worried about your health. Please be a good girl, and behave yourself. We all know you would love to be well again, so get with the program, and don't nibble on your tail.

We all here at Camp Vermont, wish you special get well wishes and strength to your Mom, cause she is getting mighty tired of staying awake all night!

Be a good girl Ebby!

Love,
Sas and her brats

Barbara
01-05-2005, 05:30 AM
Oh Chris isn't it too sad that the furkids behave so irrational (most of the time we love them for it but when they are sick they are really wearing you out!)

{{{Hugs}}} for you. I hope the Ebby girl calms down a little. Scritchies for her and poor Bob too:)

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-05-2005, 06:27 AM
Poor Ebby, she looks so frustrated in that cone... . How did that wound on her tail start? Was she attacked by another animal?

Logan
01-05-2005, 06:40 AM
Bless her heart, and yours, too, Chris. I hope that she will be better in no time!!! :)

kimlovescats
01-05-2005, 08:10 AM
Poor baby ..... try and stick it out a few more days in this bandage honey, we don't want you to lose your pretty tail!!!;)

catmandu
01-05-2005, 08:25 AM
Ebby,this is the Found Cats! Please leave your tail,alone and it WILL get better!

Killearn Kitties
01-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Baby! What are they doing to you? Every time we see you, you are wearing something else! First a big cone, now a bandaged tail - poor baby. I'm amazed that bandage stayed on. :D

Lots of healing vibes being sent to Ebby.

Vio&Juni
01-05-2005, 08:45 AM
Poor Ebby! Be a good girl and let that tail heal ;)

ChrisH
01-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Thank you all for your support, good wishes, and hugs. :) It means a lot to me. :)

Originally posted by Maya & Inka's mommy
How did that wound on her tail start? Was she attacked by another animal?
Lut, I am not sure exactly, the vet thinks she may have got it caught somehow. I am certain though that it was not done by an animal of any kind.

Originally posted by CatsinDenverDoes her skin kind of twitch along her spine? If so, she might have feline hyperesthesia. My Cricket has that and started attacking her tail. After a long effort with cones and bandages, the vet finally amputated her tail. Now she's a bunny butt, but she doesn't have any more self-biting problems
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
Has the vet ever mentioned what CatsinDenver mentioned "feline hyperesthesia". May be worth bringing up if Ebby's tail doesn't start getting better.

CatsinDenver, no, she doesn't have the twitch you write of but, as QueenScoopalot advised, I will certainly ask the vet about it if Ebb's tail doesn't get better.

I did get a bit more sleep last night. Just woke up once and when I looked for her she was in the boxbed I'd put for her. I thought she was still there when I woke up in the morning so I stretched away, only to find she was on the bed after all. And Bob was a good boy (in his crate again) he didn't bark once during the night. (And, yes, I would have know if he had! :))

Forgot to mention how she was such a good girl going to, and at, the vets. My son took us in his car and, unlike last time, she didn't make a sound all the way there or coming home, though she was obviously uncomfortable with the cone on in the carrier.
Once in the vets we sat next to only other cat there, his name was Magnum and he was black, just like Ebby (he had his foot stepped on by a horse! Ouch!). Both carriers were pretty close together and they both lay quietly just looking at each other. :) It was a long wait too, about an hour, but Ebbs just stayed there quiet even after her new found friend had gone.
She was so good when we went in to see the vet too, I just held her gently while the vet bathed and bandaged her tail and she never struggled or made a sound.

Her new pills are very small and she has to have half of one a day. The vet warned me that they are not as palatable as the others she had and she may not take them in her food. But she was great, I did the usual, boiled up some chicken and mashed it up, I didn't crush the pill this time though, just put the little pill in a bit of the mashed chicken and she just ate it up and waited for seconds, which of course she got! :)

And she still has her bandage on! As you can see in the attached picture taken about an hour ago. I was going to take a bath but she was so comfortable there, I couldn't bear to disturb her. (And yes, the folded rug is there just for her!)

Thanks again.
Chris

catfamily
01-05-2005, 06:03 PM
Poor Ebbie.It's so hard seeing her like this and not being able to tell her what's going on.Hang in there.She'll be happy soon.

Prairie Purrs
01-05-2005, 06:17 PM
If she doesn't have the skin twitch, I doubt it's hyperesthesia--which would mean that if she'll leave the bandage on long enough for the owie to heal up, she shouldn't have any more problems. Cricket bit her tail in several places and wouldn't let it heal up at all.

Get better soon, pretty Ebby!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-05-2005, 08:20 PM
Oh Ebbs, your meowmy loves you soooo much. I can just hear it in the way she types about you. :D I'm so glad to hear you were such a good girl and aren't letting all this affect the trust you have built up in your meowmy.

Gentle skritchies to you sweety. :)

rosethecopycat
01-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Oh, Chris,

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I know what it's like to have a 'coned' cat, and mashing pills, and soakings, etc.... it is exhausting for Momma's and kitties.

I'm praying that you get positive results, and soon.

lisalee
01-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Poor Ebby:( I hope she feels better soon.

Vermontcat
01-05-2005, 09:27 PM
I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to reply until now.
I hope Ebby feels better soon.
Give her some gentle hugs from me.

Killearn Kitties
01-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Aww poor Ebbs. Please give her some scritchies from me. Poor baby looks so pathetic lying there.

ChrisH
01-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Thanks everyone. :) {hugs} :)

Well, she is still wearing her cone and the bandage is still in place. :D

Poor baby though, I had what I call 'restless legs' real bad last night and I was awoken around three am by the sound of a kitty bump onto the floor. She got back up on the bed, though I wish she would lie/sleep a bit further up the bed. Tried to persude her but she insists on lining in line with where my legs are, near the edge sometimes too.

And she has finally done the kitty thing and refused to eat food with her meds mashed in. I had to do the pill down the throat thing this evening, tiny pill, but not easy! I think and hope it went in and down. Off course that means she will be prepared tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Chris