View Full Version : i have a BIG problem

emjiluvcatz
12-08-2001, 02:33 PM
i bought a new cage for my hamster & last night she got out of it - i didnt realize it until i woke up this morning - both of my cats slept in my room last night on my bed - i knew if one of the cats had got to her & hurt her last night then she would still be in my room cause the cats couldnt of drug her off somewhere cause i had my door closed all night - i cant find the hamster in my room so she must be alive in the house somewhere & the big problem is is that it is very hard to find a lose hamster! & i am so afraid that she will chew her way up in something & nest in it! :eek:

Logan
12-08-2001, 02:43 PM
All I can tell you is to try and isolate the cats in a room where you know the hamster isn't hiding. And I mean look everywhere twice!! I have had this happen so many times, and every single time, I have found the missing hamster in the room that the cage was in. One thing I have found too is that if I get everything real quiet, and listen...sometimes I have been able to hear them rustling around or nibbling on something. Usually, they have been as far back under the bed as they could get, or behind a bookshelf that was squeezed up next to the wall. Once, when our Rusty got out of his cage, he was in the bed with my daughter!!! :eek:

I'm so sorry you're having to spend your day looking, but it sounds like you need to with those cats in the house. Good luck.

emjiluvcatz
12-08-2001, 03:17 PM
i found her! i started looking in my closet & at the very back in the corner i saw pieces of shredded up cardboard & there she was! i caught her & put her back in her cage & after i put her back i went back in my closet to see what it was that she had shredded up & it was just a cardboard box but in the corner i saw something & i picked it up & it was dog food! she had went all the way in the kitchen got dog food & brought it back to where she was building her "house" she is back safe in her cage :)

Logan
12-08-2001, 09:29 PM
Oh, I am so glad for you!!! I don't know what kind of cage you have, but if it is wire, put a clothespin above each gate, so they can't push them up. And if it is an aquarium, with a wire screen, weight the corners with heavy books. We haven't had any escapes since we went to an aquarium. But I do have to watch the cats and dogs, and make sure they don't get near them.

I feel so much better that you found your hamster!! :D Yippee!! :D