PDA

View Full Version : Creamy, Chunky, or Extra Chunky....How do you like your peanut butter?

popcornbird
05-13-2004, 07:16 PM
I was hungry and just went downstairs to eat a little snack. I ended up eating a few crackers with peanut butter. Eating peanut butter got me thinking of a new thread idea. :p

My parents love extra chunky peanut butter, and always have to buy that. My brother really doesn't care.........as long as its peanut butter. :p I honestly like chunky and extra chunky too, but I always ask my parents to buy creamy when they go shopping. For some reason, I prefer creamy. If you ask me why, I don't know. I guess its because its easier to spread. Its also more sticky. :p He he. Ok, I am kidding on that part.

So, how do you like your peanut butter? Do you like it creamy, chunky, or extra chunky, or do you not like peanut butter at all? Just wondering. :)

Uabassoon
05-13-2004, 07:22 PM
I much prefer creamy. For some reason the chunks really bother me.

Karen
05-13-2004, 07:34 PM
I like all peanut butter!

Pam
05-13-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I much prefer creamy. For some reason the chunks really bother me.

Me too. They bother me especially when they are in a peanut butter & jelly sandwich. :)

catnapper
05-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Hey... where's the "inside a Reece's Cup" option? :D

Edwina's Secretary
05-13-2004, 08:02 PM
Peanut butter has never passed these lips and ...unless stranded on a desert island with no other option....never will. I can NOT bear the thought of peanut butter. BTW.... I have never eaten jelly either. Creeps me out to even think of eating either one.

Fallon
05-13-2004, 08:03 PM
Peanut butter is great.. I love all sorts but extra chunky is my favorite I guess. Creamy can be quite boring.

Felicia's Mom
05-13-2004, 08:26 PM
I try to buy a different kind each time, for variety. Its been a long time since baking any, but I believe peanut butter cookies uses the creamy kind.

slleipnir
05-13-2004, 08:34 PM
I like creamy. I find chunky too annoying to spread or something hehe

aly
05-13-2004, 08:47 PM
I like all peanut butter. I tend to eat creamy more, but I do enjoy the chunky.

*LabLoverKEB*
05-13-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Pam
Me too. They bother me especially when they are in a peanut butter & jelly sandwich. :)

Same here! And I LOVE peanut butter & jelly sandwiches!

guster girl
05-13-2004, 08:54 PM
I'll eat any kind of peanut butter. I'm not big on processed peanut butter, though, like in reese's cups or butterfinger. I like to eat creamy peanut butter on crackers or celery. But, on sandwiches or apples, I like crunchy! My favorite peanut butter is smucker's natural. The oil separates and floats to the top and you have to mix it. But, it doesn't have "bad fats." Or something like that. whatever, it tastes good. :)

Cookiebaker
05-13-2004, 08:56 PM
I like pretty much any kind of peanut butter. However, I *never* buy it, just because I think it is so gross calorie and fat wise. I can feel my thighs widening just by looking at the jar. Ugh. :rolleyes:

lovemyshiba
05-13-2004, 09:42 PM
I can't handle the chunks, at all.

I don't eat it too often, but when I do it has to be creamy:)

popcornbird
05-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker
I like pretty much any kind of peanut butter. However, I *never* buy it, just because I think it is so gross calorie and fat wise. I can feel my thighs widening just by looking at the jar. Ugh. :rolleyes:

Oh its not THAT bad calorie-wise. Just important to keep the quantity in mind. Too much of anything isn't good. But peanut butter is a good source of protein and vitamin E, and its a much, MUCH healthier *spread* than butter, cream cheese, mayo, etc. I keep count of my calories when trying to lose weight, and have noticed, many times, that other foods tend to beat my calorie limit WAY before poor little peanut butter. :p He he....As long as you eat small quantaties, that shouldn't be an issue. Nuts are good for you in limited quantities, and that's all peanut butter is! Nuts! :D

Edwina's Secretary, you REALLY don't like peanut butter and jelly? :eek: I don't know what I would do without them!

guster girl
05-13-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker

and, there are no trans fats in natural peanut butter, and, that's the kind that you gotta watch out for! it's a great source of protein, as was already mentioned, and, is good to pair with fruit, like apples. Eating the protein helps digest the sugar in the apple (something to that affect!).

GoldenRetrLuver
05-13-2004, 10:37 PM
Ick. I don't like peanut butter or jelly. I'll pass, thanks. ;)

carole
05-13-2004, 10:54 PM
I love peanut butter, sanitarium brand only, with lots of peanuts in it, so extra chunky would be me I guess, Do any of you have a product called NUTELLA, this is so yummy, I am becoming addicted to it, its a chocolate hazelnut spread, it has half the fat and sugar of peanut butter, and it is delicious.

guster girl
05-13-2004, 11:07 PM
You can buy nutella here at the grocery store. It was big over in Germany when I lived there, but, I've never liked it. It was really popular, though!

trayi52
05-13-2004, 11:08 PM
Carole, I have never heard of that, but it sounds good! Hi Carole *waves at Carole*

I like peanut butter, but I think I'll ask Mario, he is a professional peanut butter eater in this family. Yeap, he loves it!

I like it whether its crunchy or not, its good anyway.

Willie:)

popcornbird
05-13-2004, 11:14 PM
I *love* Nutella!!! But I do believe it has the same amount of calories as peanut butter, and more sugar. Peanut butter hardly has any sugar. Nutella is SWEET.......and chocolate-y. ;) I'm going to go downstairs and check the nutrition facts on both. I'm almost certain Nutella has the same or more calories. Not sure about fat though, but I believe it has more sugar too. :confused:

carole
05-13-2004, 11:23 PM
PCB I have never really checked, but the add on the Telly says exactly that , half the fat and half the sugar of Peanut Butter, so worth checking, let me know, as I will send them an email if they are wrong, as that is false advertising, it tastes so nice, it is hard to believe it can be less. let me know PCB ok.

lovemyshiba
05-13-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by carole
I love peanut butter, sanitarium brand only, with lots of peanuts in it, so extra chunky would be me I guess, Do any of you have a product called NUTELLA, this is so yummy, I am becoming addicted to it, its a chocolate hazelnut spread, it has half the fat and sugar of peanut butter, and it is delicious.

Yummy!!
Captain sent me some for the last gift swap--I don't know who enjoyed their treats more, me or the dogs!!!:D

trayi52
05-13-2004, 11:34 PM
I would love to try Nutella, Guster Girl, didn't you say you could get it in Texas, surely they have it here too then. Guess I'm going to have to go looking for it.

Okay, now I am hungry!!

Willie

Steffi N
05-13-2004, 11:45 PM
I like peanuts, especially Spanish peanuts. I haven't eaten peanut butter in a long time.
However, I think this peanut butter is yummy. :)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid115/pd6ad6ce3c88f2a50adf3e7eaad32aa33/f8bf41b9.jpg

carole
05-13-2004, 11:47 PM
Willie my friend you may regret trying it, it should have a warning on it ADDICTIVE, I have to stop myself eating spoonfuls of it, I prefer it that way than spread on anything.
PCB I have not peanut butter in the house but this is what my jar of Nutella says., sorry its in grams.
6.1 grms of fat per 20 grms of nutella about 1 tablespoon
1.3 grms of saturated fat.
protein 1.5 grms
energy 442 kj (you use calories)
sugar 11.8 grms
calcium 28 mg
it is made with skim milk, but yes it is not a slimmers product, eaten in moderation, it is good for you, it has a low glycemic index of 33. which is good for kids energy. so how does peanut butter compare?

popcornbird
05-14-2004, 12:02 AM
Ok, I compared the two. Here's what I got.

Peanut Butter.......

Serving Size: 2 Tablespoons (wow.......I hardly ever eat more than half a tablespoon :p)

Calories: 190
Calories from Fat: 140

17 grams total fat
3 grams sugar

Nutella.........

Serving Size: 2 Tablespoons

Calories: 200
Calories from Fat: 100

11 grams total fat
20 grams sugar :eek:

So it seems like Peanut Butter has more fat, but Nutella is higher in calories, and WAY higher in sugar. Keep in mind that the fat in nuts happens to be *good fat*, and not trans-fat, which is the one to be avoided. I guess Peanut Butter would be healthier because it doesn't have much sugar at all, but they should both be ok to eat in limited quantities.

jenfer
05-14-2004, 12:06 AM
You know what? I don't really care about PB. I like Nutragous and Reese's PB cup though. On the other hand, Gigi loves all PB (she has only tried the honey roasted kind). LOL!:D

auggie
05-14-2004, 05:51 AM
Willie, I can mail you a jar of Nutella if you like, just pm me your address.

PCB, have you ever tried Smuckers natural Peanut Butter? It is the only Peanut Butter I like. It has more of a peanut buttery taste.
Ingredients: Peanuts & salt – no added sugar.
Calories: 210
Fat calories: 150
Sugars: 1g
Fiber: 2g
Protein: 8g

RobiLee
05-14-2004, 07:40 AM
It HAS to be Creamy and it HAS to be Jif. That is the only kind my family will eat.

Robin :)

anna_66
05-14-2004, 07:59 AM
I really love the chunky but rarely ever buy it. I just buy creamy....for Angus to take his pills with:p

Logan
05-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Angie, I love that Smucker's peanut butter, but I'm the only one in the family who will eat it! I also prefer the "chunkiest" kind possible, and always Skippy, if not Smucker's. My family eats smooth Skippy. I do think it is lower in sugar than a lot of the others (Peter Pan, Jif, etc).

I LOVE Peanut Butter, which is why I don't buy some for myself too often!!!!! Peanut Butter and Jelly, Peanut Butter and Bananas, etc etc etc. I've even been known to put it on a tomato sandwich! ;)

Rio and Me
05-14-2004, 03:39 PM
Dont like PB at all, it makes my mouth all dry and horrid.
What is it with you over there with PB and jelly (which i think is what we call Jam) what a foul mix,lol never tried it and yuk never will.
I'll stick to Jam and cream on bread/scones (homemade of corse,lol)
Ky

RICHARD
05-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Take a spoon full of honey and mix it in with two or three spoons of PB.......

Make some wheat toast butter it and put the PB over it.

trayi52
05-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Richard, when I was little my mother used to give us peanut butter with syrup, and biscuits. It was yummy!:)

Kfamr
05-14-2004, 05:31 PM
Nala & Simba say ~
http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v95/simnala/pb1.jpg
http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v95/simnala/pb2.jpg
http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v95/simnala/pb3.jpg
http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v95/simnala/pb4.jpg
Although I don't think they mind which 'kind' it is! They loooooovvve when I mix it with a bit of honey, a bit of milk, and mix it in with their dog food. (I do occasionally as a special treat)
And they love when I give them a bit to lick off the top of their noses. Ohhh.. and they looove finishing off the little last bit!

I prefer crunchy. Creamy is just too... plain. Extra Chunky is hard to spread. Crunchy is just perfect.

tatsxxx11
05-14-2004, 05:53 PM
Chunky and extra chunky for eating straight out of the jar (fingers are best) and creamy for PBJ!:D

caseysmom
05-14-2004, 06:00 PM
Anyone ever try almond butter? Its pretty good too.

RICHARD
05-14-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Richard, when I was little my mother used to give us peanut butter with syrup, and biscuits. It was yummy!:)

Are you trying to say I am old?

OH OH OH...

If anyone likes Thai food.....

Chicken Satay!!! grilled pieces of chicken with peanut sauce....;)

1/3 cup hot water
2/3 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup dry sherry

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir well. Transfer to a serving bowl and spoon over seafood of your choosing.

Heaven on earth!!

--------------------------

Tats,

With some ice cold milk outta the jug?:D

trayi52
05-14-2004, 06:55 PM
Whoops, no, I am older than you Richard!

That recipe sounds so good! I will have to try that.:)

Logan
05-14-2004, 07:16 PM
Richard, I can't believe I forgot peanut butter and honey!!!! :D Yum, Yum, Yum!!!! :D

popcornbird
05-14-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by caseysmom
Anyone ever try almond butter? Its pretty good too.

Nope, but I've tried cashew butter! Its so good!!!

I *love* honey with peanut butter too! SO yummy! :D

Rachel
05-15-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Take a spoon full of honey and mix it in with two or three spoons of PB.......

Make some wheat toast butter it and put the PB over it.

Shoot, you don't need to mix it. Just drizzle the honey over the top of an open face PB sandwich. You are right about the wheat toast part, but what's the *butter* doing on it? As much as I love this, the PB and jam sandwich (crunchy PB and currant jam) is my favorite. Of course this has to have two pieces of bread, not toasted.

Now if you all will excuse me, this conversation has made me hungary. I'll be back in a JIFF!

Steffi N
05-15-2004, 08:08 PM
My sister was working at home recently and her dinner included peanut butter in vanilla ice cream. :D

carole
05-15-2004, 11:04 PM
I have always heard the americans talking about a peanut butter and Jelly sandwich, can someone please tell me what the jelly is, ? is it like our Jam, without seeds, like a clear jam? thanks!

trayi52
05-15-2004, 11:17 PM
Thats about what it is, usually grape jelly is used with it. Though, I have seen people use other kinds.

I used to can up all kinds of jelly, like grape, strawberry jam, elderberry and even corncob jelly. My husband love all those good old homemade jellies. Then my daughter come along and mixes them with peanut butter on bread.

Willie:)

Rachel
05-16-2004, 03:45 PM
I have always heard the americans talking about a peanut butter and Jelly sandwich, can someone please tell me what the jelly is, ? is it like our Jam, without seeds, like a clear jam? thanks!

As Trayi52 said, that is what it is. It has sort of a Jello-like consistency. My husband has this saying when referring to my ample posterior...*It must be jelly because jam don't shake like that.*:rolleyes:

Dogz
05-16-2004, 04:52 PM
I love peanut butter! YUM!

I prefer creamy peanut butter. I used to like chunky better, but not now. :p

carole
05-16-2004, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the info everyone, I am sure I tried it over there, but it was so long ago, we have clear spreads too, but we just still call them Jam here, guess it is pretty much the same thing, Well I for one love Jelly, Jam whatever you want to call it.

Logan
05-16-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
As Trayi52 said, that is what it is. It has sort of a Jello-like consistency. My husband has this saying when referring to my ample posterior...*It must be jelly because jam don't shake like that.*:rolleyes:

Oh, Rachel, I feel the same way about my own ample posterior!!!! :D

Blustang24
05-17-2004, 01:11 AM
OH you all got me going!!!!

I LOOOOVVVEEE Peanut Butter. ESPECIALLY Extra Crunchy. It's good right out of a jar with a spoon. I usually only ever get Skippy....soo yummy!

Although creamy is good with sandwiches, crunchy is just as good.

Peanut butter and apricot jam, strawberry, grape, Robertson's black currant...yummy...HONEY too! hahahahah

I can't believe there are "AMERICANS" that have *gasps* NEVER had PB & J!! Didn't you moms ever make you a pb&j sand for your school lunch?!?! hmm weird! lol. I've had friends that only ate PB sands or just Jelly sands, but not neither! You don't know what you're missing lol!

Oh yeah, a spoonful of PB a day actually helps women with heart health and other feminine disease health.

RICHARD
05-17-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Rachel
Shoot, you don't need to mix it. Just drizzle the honey over the top of an open face PB sandwich. You are right about the wheat toast part, but what's the *butter* doing on it?

Kiss and mingle!

If you fix the pb and honey in a container and keep it in the fridge
it's ' instant' and tastes better......you take it out about 1/2 hour before you want to spread it...

Butter keeps the bread soft when you take a PB and honey sammich to work.

NoahsMommy
05-17-2004, 12:14 PM
Ewww...butter in a pb&j? Well...guess I should try it before I knock it. ;)

I love creamy peanut butter on honey wheat bread with apricot jam. YUMMY!!! In fact, I think I'll have that for lunch today. :)

YUMMY!!!

KYS
05-17-2004, 07:28 PM
I like the chunky.

Peanut butter and HONEY! LOVE IT.
Now I am having cravings. :)

Blustang24
05-17-2004, 08:30 PM
I got off last night after posting and made a 1/2 pb&honey and a 1/2 pb&j sandwich! lol I couldn't decide which one so made 1/2 of each! hehehe :) yummy!!!!

Christiansmommy
05-17-2004, 10:07 PM
Creamy here.

I will eat chunky, but like creamy better :)

And i like to toast a piece of bread, and then spread some creamy peanut butter on top of the warm bread, and it kinda melts...hmmm good :)

Robyn

Rachel
05-18-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Blustang24
I got off last night after posting and made a 1/2 pb&honey and a 1/2 pb&j sandwich! lol I couldn't decide which one so made 1/2 of each! hehehe :) yummy!!!!

There has been a LOT of PB&J eating here since this thread started. No honey in the house so the choice was easy.

popcornbird
05-18-2004, 03:23 PM
He he he.......I'm eating half a pb & j sandwich right now. :p I never realized how many people like peanut butter until I made this thread. :o

Logan
05-18-2004, 03:44 PM
It's the darned PB and Honey that kills me........I LOVE it!!! I Love PB with just about anything, actually, although I had a new one thrust upon me a week ago. I had to do refreshments for a church meeting and I had cut up vegetables, with a ranch style dipping sauce. My Elizabeth said "Where's the peanut butter?". She wanted PB with the celery I provided!!! I had never done that one before, although I had provided it for apple slices in the past. :o I promised her that next time I would take care of her better.

RICHARD
05-18-2004, 03:55 PM

Jello!!!

Think of thick jello or gelatin!!
Just like your jam but no seeds.

LOL, there are jams, jellies and preserves.
Preserves are the 'rough' types of fruit, canned.
They have big pieces....jams are 'seedy' and 'chunky', jellies are clear, no pulp or seeds....

My grandmother made the best peach preserves on the planet.:D :D :D

slick
05-18-2004, 04:03 PM
I prefer the Peanut Butter that has fur and four paws.....