View Full Version : Emergency Found Baby Bird

guster girl
04-17-2004, 09:49 AM
Ok, guys. Help. I'm looking right now for animal rehabilitators and I've put the baby in a shoebox lined with a towel and it's in a dark quiet place. It's about an inch and a half long, with no feathers. It's completely transparent. Is there even a chance for it to live? Finn found it outside. Any suggestions?

Corinna
04-17-2004, 09:59 AM
call your vet they have the NUmbers to wild animal raisers.

guster girl
04-17-2004, 10:23 AM
Ok, first, a wildlife place (hotline) told me to take it back out and leave it in the bush I found it below, even though there's no nest there, away from predators and off the ground and wait to see if the mama bird comes back to feed it and/or take it back to the nest. But, I just found a lady in Plano that I can take the baby to. But, I can't take it until 3:30, and, I was worried about it starving before then. What, if anything, have you all heard about this kind of thing before? I'm wary about leaving it outside though.

guster girl
04-17-2004, 10:31 AM
well, I'm keeping the baby warm until I can get it to the rehabilitator in Plano. If you guys want, I'll keep you posted on it's progress, if any. I'm just really hoping I did the right thing and that it's chances of survival are better than what I'm expecting.

popcornbird
04-17-2004, 11:46 AM
I have no idea. Do you know what kind of bird it is? I know they sell hand feeding equipment and baby formula for pet birds at pet stores. Depending on what species this bird is, it might *possibly* need the same foods? I know many wild birds eat seeds, etc. as pet birds do. Do you have any idea what kind of bird it is, or it it impossible to tell? I believe these chicks need to be fed very often. Good luck. Poor baby bird. :(

Try asking on this board..........someone may have a better answer. You don't need to *sign up* to post there.

http://www.birdsnways.com/chats/ttindex.htm

guster girl
04-17-2004, 11:58 AM
Hey, popcornbird, thanks for the link. I posted a message there. I have to get ready for work now, but, I'll check there and here between getting to work and taking the infant to the rehabilitator. Aww....right now, the baby is cheeping! :( I have no idea what kind of bird it is, though. It's pink and transparent, no feathers, eyes closed...etc. I'll keep you posted.

popcornbird
04-17-2004, 12:04 PM
If its cheeping, I believe that means its hungry. :( Poor thing. Hope you can figure out something soon.

guster girl
04-17-2004, 12:05 PM
here's what the baby looks like.

http://img30.photobucket.com/albums/v91/kariann918/Cnv0895.jpg

It's on top of my computer for warmth, and, I keep a part of the towel inside the shoebox over the container that the baby is in, so, that the light doesn't bother it. It's so tiny. :(

guster girl
04-17-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
If its cheeping, I believe that means its hungry. :( Poor thing. Hope you can figure out something soon.

Yeah, I know, I hope that it makes it to the rehabilitator. :(

Karen
04-17-2004, 12:20 PM
Put a little dish of water in there - dehydration is more likely than starvation ...

guster girl
04-17-2004, 12:22 PM
they told me not to give him water, because it would more than likely drown him (something about the lung opening being right below the throat?). All four of the places I've called said not to try to give him water, but, I'll call them again.

guster girl
04-17-2004, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I just called Rogers Wildlife Rehabilitation Center and she said "no, no, no...who told you that? never give a baby bird water." I don't know, not to impune what you said, Karen, because I don't know how much bird rehabilitation you've done, but, I am going with what the people there are saying. Again, don't be offended! Just doing what I think is the best thing.

Karen
04-17-2004, 12:26 PM
I was told not to try to force feed him water with an eye-dropper or anything, just to put a little dish of water in there with him - back when we found a baby bird, years ago.

That's all I meant.

guster girl
04-17-2004, 12:28 PM
That's what I figured you meant. But, they've all said not even to do that....No biggie! :) I'll let you know how he does, and, if he makes it to the rehabilitator.

popcornbird
04-17-2004, 02:42 PM
Any updates on the bird? Someone responded to your post on the birdsnways board.

QueenScoopalot
04-17-2004, 03:02 PM
Is there any way to attach a basket near where the bird was found? Put a basket as high up in a bush, or tree as possible and fashion a nest from dried grasses. Chances aren't good that it will survive even if a rehabber takes it on. Newly hatched birds really need the parent birds to properly feed it. Too bad you can't locate the nest, or another with similar sized birds in it. Good luck with the baby.

trayi52
04-17-2004, 03:34 PM
Poor little baby bird. Stubby brought a wild baby bird to me one night. I didn't know what I was going to do with it. Nobody to call. So I done the best I could, fed it hamburger meat, whole wheat bread, berrys, grass, seeds, a few other thing I don't remember. That little guy grew up just fine, and I turned him lose. I would see him every now and then, but he would not let me close to him after he went free. I don't know what kind he was, never have found out what kind of bird he was. He was gray with white on his wings. His girlfriend was a brown color. Anyway, its been a long time. I just watched the other birds around the house, and watched what they ate, and tried to imitate that kind of food.

Willie

guster girl
04-17-2004, 03:51 PM
The baby didn't make it. :( He cried the whole time. Ugh, I feel pretty cruddy. I was on my way to the rehabilitator's. But, he didn't make it.

CamCamPup33
04-17-2004, 03:57 PM
:( :( Im so sorry, you did everything you could.. :(

trayi52
04-17-2004, 04:16 PM
I'm so sorry Guster, you done the best you could! Sometimes it just isn't meant to be.

Willie

guster girl
04-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I know....it just would have been nice to save a life, ya know? I'm not a basket case about it, just sortof deep in thought. Death makes me remember a lot of stuff.

popcornbird
04-17-2004, 07:21 PM
I'm sorry the little bird didn't make it. :( RIP little birdie.

guster girl
04-17-2004, 11:18 PM
Thanks, popcornbird. :)

leslie flenner
04-18-2004, 06:35 PM
OHHHHHHH,, I'm so sorry! It's awful to try so hard only to lose the little little one! Well, at least she/he is not suffering.
QueenScoopalot lost a baby pigeon last fall that she'd found in an open lot; it lived a couple of days- we'd put it back to see if the mother would come get it- it just kept following first Jan around the lot, then me. And we put lots of bread out to attract the adults in the area and waited a long time but could not leave him out there on the pavement to starve. Even though she fed him "properly" (as best one can do per the wildlifer's recommendations!), she died the next day.
She also lost a baby squirrel this last summer.
My condolences, feeling sad is normal and certainly appropriate! I really know what you mean by "deep in thought".......