PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about contractions

Aspen and Misty
02-25-2004, 01:47 PM
Today I stayed home from school cause I wasn't feeling well and cause Sada is acting weird. She is just as cuddly but she doesn't move around as much, I also find her sprawled out on the floor on her side, when she used to never lay on the floor. She is also starting to produce milk now, which just started last night! My question is, I was sitting with my hand on her belly and every now and then I would feel something move in her tummy, kinda like something kicked it, but I dont' think it was kick cause I got kicked by the kittens yesterday (one of them pushed really hard on the side really quick, I swear I could almost feel the leg!!) do you think these could be contractions? Or do you just think one of the kittens is kicking? I'm so nervouse! LOL, I'm sure it's probly nothing :rolleyes: BTW: Her due date is tomrrow so we are expecting them any time! :D

Any advice?

Ash

catnapper
02-25-2004, 01:51 PM
No advice, but this is all so exciting! Good luck!:D

Aspen and Misty
02-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
No advice, but this is all so exciting! Good luck!:D

You should see me, LOl. I'm shaking and it's like, every mintue I run in there to check on her, ::whew:: she is ok :rolleyes: Geez, she is all relaxed and calm and I'm all gitter like, are you ok? Do you need water? Do you have food? Want me to lie here with you? Maybe you should lie on the bed instead of the floor? Is that ok for the baby? Dont' get up! I'll get your food! AHH, I've turned into an expecting father :eek: :D

Thanx, I'll keep everyone posted, I have a gut feeling it's going ot be today or tomrrow.

Ash

kimlovescats
02-25-2004, 02:11 PM
I have a feeling it will be in the middle of the night, and you'll have a surprise one morning when you wake up!!! Relax, she will be just fine!;)

PayItForward
02-25-2004, 02:35 PM
All I can say is pictures...pictures...pictures.

Waiting to hear good news :D

Aspen and Misty
02-25-2004, 03:10 PM
I'm trying so hard to just leave her alone and not get her upset :D I don't see any "real" signs of labor or anything like that, YET! LOL. I hope she gives birth soon, she is driving me crazy :rolleyes:

Ash :D

sirrahved
02-25-2004, 03:13 PM
I'm probably not the best person to ask about this, because I only knew my rb girl Pookie was in labor when her water broke on my lap!

Good luck!

catland
02-25-2004, 03:26 PM
you've probably mentioned this in other posts but do you have a box ready for her - preferably in a quiet area?

When the contractions do happen, they will be visible to you. She might start to get more restless or needy and not want you to leave her alone.

If one of them is born breech (tail first), you want to keep an eye on her - she will probably do just fine but if she gets real tired or starts to struggle you may want to contact a vet.

finally, depending on how many she has - she might get tired - I remember that our cat delivered her first three right away and then didn't deliver the fourth until an hour later. By then she was tired and wasn't licking and cleaning the last kitten like she was supposed to so I moved the kitten closer to her face and she imediately started to take care of him.

GOOD LUCK:D :D

aguu
02-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Wow! how exciting is that! I'm so jealous...do keep up posted please!!!

Twink
02-25-2004, 03:41 PM
This is so exciting! If I were you, I'd probably be about to fly apart at the seams, too. :D :D

I just can't wait to see pictures. You and Sada are going to be a great parenting team!

Edwina's Secretary
02-25-2004, 03:55 PM
I'm the first to admit "I don't know nothing about birthing no babies" but I have read of the importance of a birthing box with towels or an old but soft and clean blanket. It is preferable to your socks drawer! Some place cozy and quiet....

Aspen and Misty
02-25-2004, 03:59 PM
She has a nice lil laundry basket with towels in in that she ALWAYS sleeps in, she just is crazy bout it! (we also have a blanket in the room that once she gives birth to all the kitties I can put the clean blanket in there) :D She is in our spare bedroom, no one goes in there un less they are checking on her so it's very quite and peaceful. :D

Thanx for all the well wishes everyone! Hopefully it'll all go smothly! Thanx for the tips Catland!!!

Ashley :D

cubby31682
02-25-2004, 04:06 PM
I have a feeling it will be in the middle of the night, and you'll have a surprise one morning when you wake up!!! Relax, she will be just fine!

As excited as Aspen and Misty seems, I would be suprised if she gets any sleep tonight. She will probably be to busy running to check on her and thinking about when she will have the babies that she wont be able to get any sleep. ;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-25-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
I've turned into an expecting father :eek: :D

:D :D
And like any expecting father, the best thing you can do is calm down....but I know it's hard! I would be just like you if I was expecting kittens anyday now.

I know you've done a lot of research on kittens being born, so I know that they and mama will be just fine in your hands. You just have to be patient......;) :D

Aspen and Misty
02-25-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by cubby31682
As excited as Aspen and Misty seems, I would be suprised if she gets any sleep tonight. She will probably be to busy running to check on her and thinking about when she will have the babies that she wont be able to get any sleep. ;)

Who? Me? Exited? NEVER ;) There is a bed in her bedroom, I plan on sleeping in there for the next few night untill I find kittens! :D That way I'll be there just in case :D

Ash :D

wolfsoul
02-25-2004, 04:58 PM
How exciting! :D

Is there carpet in the room? A friend of mine has cats that have suffered several pregnancies (I know, it's horrible, but let's not get into that :( ), and every carpet in the house had blood stains all over it. Her cats prefer to be under the bed when giving birth, rather than their nice cozy all set-up boxes and baskets.

rg_girlca
02-25-2004, 06:50 PM
Oh how exciting, new little baby kitties on the way. Wishing mama cat all the best that everything goes smoothly.

luckies4me
02-25-2004, 10:09 PM
How did she get pregnant? Did you breed her or was she a rescue or what?

Aspen and Misty
02-25-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
How did she get pregnant? Did you breed her or was she a rescue or what?

I knew someone would ask me this! :p See, I found her at my school her ears and paws were frost bitten and they were goign to throw her out in the cold again! Well the office said they would keep her if I litter box trained her. So I brought her home to litterbox train her but she didn't go to the bathroom for more then 24 hours and her tummy was bulged so we took her to the vet to get checked up on to see if she had worms and he did a ultra sound and we found out she is pregnet, about 4 weeks. She also HAD worms, her lest treatment is tomrrow! YAY!! :D :D We also have 4 homes for the 3 kittens found on the Ultra Sound, all very good homes IMO. I have an aplication for them to fill out and all homes have promised to get there kittens spayed and either have or had animals who were spayed or nuetered.

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42715&highlight=Sada

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42853&highlight=Sada

For Pics
http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43963&highlight=Sada

Sada is meowing right now, it's weird to hear her cause she NEVER meows :eek: :eek:

Ashley

prettykitty1
02-25-2004, 10:46 PM
it is weird when cats do stuff they never do my old cat tara

would never lick you unless you had food on you fingers

rg_girlca
02-25-2004, 10:55 PM
If she is meowing and you've never heard her meow before, I wouldn't be surprised at all that your next post will be that the kittens have arrived.
Keep an eye on her is she starts to act different. Her time may be near and encourage her to go into the laundry basket.
Also, don't be nervous, she will handle everything herself, just enjoy the birth of these precious babies.

trayi52
02-25-2004, 11:03 PM
I wonder if cats do like dogs, you know when a dog has puppies, the most noticeable thing when they are in labor, their tummys gets so hard from the contraction, just wads up really hard. Like us women do when we are in labor, Ouch!

Willie

By the way keep us posted!

luckies4me
02-26-2004, 12:13 AM
When my Norwegian Forest Cat Ickeris was about time to deliver she started meowing and meowing at me, rubbing on my feet and just trying to get my attention. I checked her vagina and sure enough there was some discharge so I knew it was time, and SOON! She wanted to go into the closet so I got a blanket and a few towels and she had them in the closet. It was a great place, because if she wanted privacy we could close the closet just enough for her to get out, but no one to disturb her.

Chances are, the kittens will be here tonight from what you are describing. Cats usually become very vocal during labor. Houdini wasn't so vocal but she wanted to be near me, and she was doing that poopy face. So if you see her doing the poopy face then she's pushing and it's time for the kittens to come out. Houdini actually waited a long time just for me to come home, then had her kittens on my lap. :o

Aspen and Misty
02-26-2004, 06:26 AM
It's morning, and there are no kitties :( She is producing more milk, on all of them now. She also is like mom I HAVE to be in your lap, and climbs in there. Then I set her on the floor and she is like NO, mom, I HAVE to be on your lap and crawls back on to it :rolleyes:

::Crosses fingers:: I'm hopeing it's today!

Ash

catnapper
02-26-2004, 07:30 AM
Come on kitties! Where are you? We're all waiting.

Please come soon because I don't think your "expectant father" can take much more!

Twink
02-26-2004, 07:50 AM
Tell Sada that she and her babies have cheerleaders all around the world!

I know nothing about cat birthing...but it sure does sound like she's close. :D

Go, Sada! C'mon kittens!

I'm going to lurk alllllll day just waiting for news....

catmandu
02-26-2004, 09:11 AM
The Found Cats and I are sending Prayers that everything is All Right , and that the Kittens arrive safe , and sound. Good Luck! From All Of Us!

catcrazylady
02-26-2004, 09:36 AM
When Pervy was expecting she also got clingy right before it was time. I think they also get scared and nervous. It's nature but something big is about to happen to them and they seem to sense it. Especially the first time.
I haven't read all the replies so if someone already said this then forgive me. When I was growing up (before spay & nueter education) and we had cats I remember one of our mama kitties would scream her head off when she was in labor! It was so sad and it scared me to death!! She was fine and had beautiful healthy babies. Pervy never made a sound but you could see her pushing and the pain in her eyes broke my heart.
The only reason I'm telling you all this is to prepare you. It could be sad to watch her hurting but just know that if your there and you stay calm then so will she. I hope you can be with her because it is a wonderful bond when you share it with them. It's kind of like being birthing coach!! It's also cool to just come home and find it over with!!! You didn't have to stress that way
Can't wait for the new babies. It's like we are all standing around the nursery window just waiting!!!:D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

Vermontcat
02-26-2004, 12:16 PM
Is it time yet?
I can't wait to see photos of the kittens, I hope you have your camera ready!:)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-26-2004, 02:10 PM
I know Vermontcat, Ash, you out there? Can we puh-leeze have an uppydate? I know you're probably busy birthing babies right now, but let Sada handle it for just a tiny minute and let us know what's happening! :D

Aspen and Misty
02-26-2004, 02:20 PM
UGHH!! BAD BAD SADA!!!

No kitties yet :( Sorry, I had school :( stupid education! LOL.

Hopefully she will have them, she looks skinner then last night :eek:

The worried/expecting father,
Ash :(

Twink
02-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Skinnier? Are you sure there aren't kittens hidden under a bed or something?

:D

Remember.....breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out.....

luckies4me
02-26-2004, 02:48 PM
How skinny? Cats seem really thin after they give birth. I would make sure you don't have any hidden kittens around the house. ;) Can you check her vagina and see if there is anything different? She should have some kind of left over something on the tail and belly area, unless she's a very festidious groomer. You should be able to see if kittens have nursed on her as well. There will be wet round circles around the nipples. :D

Aspen and Misty
02-26-2004, 02:59 PM
Just a lil skinner, but I went back in after I posted that and her one side was HUGE :eek: hee hee! The kitties are moving.

I checked under the bed, in the cat scratcher, in the litter box, the birthing box and on a blanket. BUT, no kitties :( I checked in the closet even though it was closed. ::sigh:: I'm begining to think she won't give birth! LOL. ;)

Ash

Twink
02-26-2004, 03:01 PM
Heh heh. Sounds like the l'il boogers are looking for the way out!

Barbara
02-26-2004, 03:47 PM
Ok: I have been involved in kitten birth twice in my life 25 years ago. First thing: if they kick etc. that must not be contractions. In the late time if you watch closely and hold your hand on them you can nearly count them, they are so big and each of them acts different.

When Grisette had her babies the first time we didn't recognize the signals. We had a box but she went out in the evening (she was indoor/outdoor) and I woke up in the night thinking I heard a mew. Went on the street looking for her. No Grisette.

The other morning I opened my closet and there she was, on the bottom, on some old clothes with 4 of the sweetest little kittens, all little tigers. She had managed purrfectly well to deliver them and all was clean and cosy:)

Unfortunately she got pregnant very shortly after (while she was still nourishing the first ones, we didn't dare to take her away for spaying - we thought she couldn't be pregnant while the other kittens were that small). Ok, the second time she allowed us to watch and had them in the box. It was so great. I still feel honored. She purred while she gave birth - everything was very fine. (All of these kittens got good homes, together with a litter I found at the same time in the woods) :mad:

So there is a high probability that Sada will do fine. All the best for her and you!

luckies4me
02-26-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
Just a lil skinner, but I went back in after I posted that and her one side was HUGE :eek: hee hee! The kitties are moving.

I checked under the bed, in the cat scratcher, in the litter box, the birthing box and on a blanket. BUT, no kitties :( I checked in the closet even though it was closed. ::sigh:: I'm begining to think she won't give birth! LOL. ;)

Ash

I've raised about 12 litters of kittens in my time, and have been there for each of their births. :)

If she's in labor, you will know. But like I said, as soon as you see the lips pressing together like she's going to the bathroom it's time for the babies to come, and that means she's pushing.

Miss Meow
02-26-2004, 05:36 PM
If she's looking skinnier near the top of her spine, it means she's dropped and it's nearly time! :)

All mamma animals I've known choose 3.00-4.00am to give birth ;) so I hope you've got some news soon!

sirrahved
02-26-2004, 05:56 PM
C'mon, give birth already... I haven't seen newborn kittens in 9 years! *holds breath in anticipation*

cubby31682
02-26-2004, 06:18 PM
Don't you just wish you could speed up time at this point? We all want an update of kittens are birthed. Of course we also want pictures. You haven't posted in a few hours has it happened yet? I don't think your the only expecting father here I think we are all starting to feel that way except we can't be there. :(

Katie
I hope we get an update soon.

CatDad
02-26-2004, 07:52 PM
Looking forward to news.

Just keep calm and I am sure it will all go fine.:D

You know what to do and will call the vet if you need to.:)

jenluckenbach
02-26-2004, 08:04 PM
Good, I might have missed this post, but I didn't miss the birth.
Good luck Sada........You can do it!!!!!

Aspen and Misty
02-26-2004, 08:33 PM
Sorry! Had dog training! :D (Breeze is the star of her class, expect that she won't lie down :rolleyes: )

No Kitties yet http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/ink/659/sad09.gif

When will they come!!!

Ash :(