PDA

View Full Version : Ebay....

tikeyas_mom
02-22-2004, 11:08 PM
I always just go on Ebay and look at stuff I wish I had lol.
It totally sux because my parents dont want credit cards, and refuse to get them... blah..
Does anyone eles just goto ebay or other bidding sites and look around for fun, and just drool over the cheap stuff you wish you had ahaha..

Twisterdog
02-22-2004, 11:17 PM
Unfortunately, I go into ebay and bid on way too much stuff that I can't afford! I wish someone would take away MY credit cards! Ebay is indeed an addiction!

Shelteez2
02-22-2004, 11:47 PM
I wish the only way you could get stuff on ebay was by having a credit card. Unfortunately you don't need one.... LOL

wolf_Q
02-22-2004, 11:56 PM
You do have to have a credit card to become an Ebay member (at least you did when I joined) but no, you don't always have to have one to bid.

Before I had a credit card I bought tons of stuff under my dad's account and paid with money orders. Now I have my own Ebay ID and Paypal. I actually have bid much less with my own account, strange...

Shelteez2
02-23-2004, 12:01 AM
Well not anymore then, as I don't have a credit card, I'm a member, and I bid on things all the time....LOL :)

wolf_Q
02-23-2004, 12:07 AM
They must have changed their policy then or something. :)

slleipnir
02-23-2004, 07:49 AM
I don't look cause chances are I don't need any of the stuff but I'd want it and buy it anyway and waste all my money lol

tikeyas_mom
02-23-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
Well not anymore then, as I don't have a credit card, I'm a member, and I bid on things all the time....LOL :)

it wouldent let me join because i didnt have a credit card...

micki76
02-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Yep, I find stuff all the time, but I actually never bid. :confused: Don't quite know why, I guess I realize it's stuff I don't need. :)

2kitties
02-23-2004, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure how it's possible to function in our society without a credit card of some type.

catnapper
02-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by 2kitties
I'm not sure how it's possible to function in our society without a credit card of some type.

I'm doing quite nicely! We had a huge credit card problem last year, and my husband and I cut up every last one! Its interesting the choices you make once you know you have to have the money in the account before you buy it! No more fun runs to Friendly's for ice-cream or new shoes "just because."

We occasionally run into problems where people want a credit card - like reservations in a hotel - but more and more places are able to accept checks over the phone as long as you provided the routing numbers, etc.

As for e-bay, its something I've never had a yen to visit. My friend sells on it all the time and does quite well.. I've photographed a few things to sell, but never got around to actually posting.

CathyBogart
02-23-2004, 10:36 AM
I don't have one, or any intenton of getting one. :P

Shelteez2
02-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by 2kitties

It is possible, but sometimes it really sucks. I cannot get one.
I have applied three times and have been turned down. I am 22 and don't have any credit rating. I work full time and live with my parents (who I pay rent). The worst part is that if I were going to school they would be jumping to give me a credit card. Because students have money, right? ???

2kitties
02-23-2004, 11:27 AM
I use my credit card every day. I never carry a balance, though. I travel alot and use my cards for my job all the time. I have to rent cars and hotel rooms all the time. Plus, I like the perks and airline miles. They really add up. And I hate cash. Never have more than a ten spot on me at a time. And I shop online alot as well.
Credit cards are important for your credit ratings. Having had a good relationship with a card company throughout college enabled me to finance my first car on my own. It just takes discipline.

Logan
02-23-2004, 01:02 PM
I don't do EBay, either, but my husband does, and he's found some really good deals on simple items like shirts, jewelry, etc. The "biggest" thing he every purchased was before we got married and he wanted to do something for my daughter. He bought her an autographed Shaquille O'Neal Laker's jersey. Might not mean much to you guys, but it meant the world to Helen! :)

As for credit cards, I say, don't do them if you haven't done them yet. We don't have any at this point. We have found that using a debit card (straight from our checking account) handles everything we need. As for travel expenses, both of us have corporate issued cards to handle that.

boscibo
02-23-2004, 04:16 PM
I think eBays policy is they require a credit card if you try and sign up form a freebie email account (Hotmail, Yahoo...etc.), but if you have a ISP account they don't require a CC. That may have changed, but that is how I remember it a few years ago. I have one CC that I rarely use, but keep it in case of emergency. I had to add some nights on a hotel reservation once, and I had booked them with my debit card. The card was rejected for the extra nights, so if I wouldn't have had my CC with me, I would have been in for a big hassle, the worst could have been no hotel room! A debit card works like a CC for most things, so if you don't want a CC, maybe a debit card would be the answer? You can't charge on it so if the money is not in your account, you couldn't use it anyway.

I abused CCs when I was in my twenties - I had a large balance that took me awhile to pay off. I won't let myself get in that situation again, but I couldn't imagine living without cards.

I love eBay. I have found stuff that I can't buy in stores, and some great bargains. I don't buy much anymore, but last fall I got a great cat tree and water fountain for my cats much cheaper than places like Petsmart charge.

RobiLee
02-23-2004, 04:50 PM
I just got something from ebay today! I love ebay! I've only purchased 2 items though. My mom was looking for a Fenton cake plate and I found it at ebay for christmas and today I received a home interior figurine that I have been looking for. Now I am hooked and keep looking every day. I'm trying to find another home interior figurine that I've been wanting. I found one earlier but the bidding went way to high for me. I'll have to try again. I find the thing that you have to watch out for is the shipping cost. That can really run you into some money.

Robin :)

CountryWolf07
02-23-2004, 05:36 PM
I love Ebay - - I bid on concert tickets/country music stuff.. pretty much..

Kfamr
02-23-2004, 05:38 PM
To be honest, i've never used Ebay besides looking at link my friends have sent me, or that people ahve posted on here.

wolfsoul
02-23-2004, 09:24 PM
I have an Ebay account, and I don't have a credit card. :confused:

Needless to say, I don't have any money either, so no buying off Ebay until I get a job lol.

Katiesmom
02-23-2004, 10:08 PM
OMG! My mom introduced me to ebay and that was a mistake:eek: I am so addicted....I had to use my debit card to sign up but I use money orders to pay because for some reason when I try to open an account with paypal it tells me that my zip code doesn't go with my city and I should know that it does:confused: :p anyways I love ebay although it can be trouble when you get addicted;) :p

Twisterdog
02-23-2004, 10:24 PM
I always thought you had to have a credit card to register, as well. But, thinking about it, maybe you only have to have the credit card on file to sell, not to buy, since they charge your seller's fees to the card.

Katiesmom
02-23-2004, 10:28 PM
I had to have a credit card or my debit card.....I signed my mom and sister up too because they didn't have neither and you had to have one or the other they may have changed since then but its was only 6 months ago:)

dukedogsmom
02-24-2004, 06:59 AM
I love Ebay! I collect the old whiskey decanters of horses. Some are beautiful works of art. The last one I wanted really bad because it was a rare one. Went way too high for me. Ending price was $326 :eek: Maybe one day............
Here's one I already have.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3663010171&category=823

RobiLee
02-24-2004, 02:12 PM
I like that, Val. Those are cool items to collect.

Robin :)

trayi52
02-24-2004, 02:32 PM
I love ebay! I am totally addicted. I have a paypal account, which if I do buy something, they just take it directly out of my checking account.

I had credit cards at one time, but like catnapper said, I also cut them up. It was just too easy to overspend. I just can't help myself, a credit card gives me this urge to run through the store yelling "Charge!!". So Now I just have a debit card.

I have to watch my spending now, but I just can't afford to have a credit card. Really it is best for me.

But yes, I do find a lot of things on ebay. I have been looking for a horseman doll name Tuffie dated I think in the later 1960s or early 70s. I found one, but I messed around and let it get away. The thing is the person selling it didn't know what the doll was. Worth a lot of money too. I think she sold it for like 32 dollars. I kick myself all the time for letting that slip through my fingers. Darn it. I keep hoping though.

Willie

dukedogsmom
02-24-2004, 05:17 PM
I see decanters like that sometimes and just laugh and laugh when I win them. I've gotten some good ones pretty cheap. Nothing like getting a super good deal.

AvaJoy
02-24-2004, 09:11 PM
I have been involved in eBay for about 6 years (no cc required when I joined but it is a requirement now, I believe, to help deter fraud) and have been involved in over 800 transactions, both buying and selling.

Best thing since sliced bread, and I wish I got in on the ground floor and had stock holdings . . . I wouldn't need to sell another thing, that's for sure! ;) :cool: