PDA

View Full Version : Lost our Precious

petlover
11-10-2003, 10:13 PM
My mom's kitty, Precious, got ran over a while back. She loved that kitty a lot. It would sleep by her head and purr like crazy. It even liked the vets office! She would just sit up there like a big girl and purr. She misses her A LOT. And can't seem to get over the loss. I think that for thanksgiving, I am going to go adopt a kitten from the shelter for her. What do yall think? I think that it would be a good idea, but I just want some more opinions.

aly
11-10-2003, 10:21 PM
I think it sounds like a good idea, but I don't think it should be a surprise. Maybe you and your dad can take your mom for a drive and just take her to the shelter without telling her where she's going. But I don't think the actual adoption should be a surprise so you can be sure your mom is getting what she wants.

Also, what do you think about keeping the new kitten inside only to prevent a horrible accident from happening again?

petlover
11-10-2003, 10:27 PM
Well, our cats are barn kitties. They are inside most of the time, then they go outside and do their job. Which is mouse hunting. Precious was a mouse hunter. The dogs were just outside and chased her out of the yard. She usually goes over the fence to visit the next door neighbor but she wasn't visiting.

CatDad
11-10-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by aly
I think it sounds like a good idea, but I don't think it should be a surprise. Maybe you and your dad can take your mom for a drive and just take her to the shelter without telling her where she's going. But I don't think the actual adoption should be a surprise so you can be sure your mom is getting what she wants.

Also, what do you think about keeping the new kitten inside only to prevent a horrible accident from happening again?
I agree. I think that it should be a suprise, but I would make make it one by 'just' winding up at the shelter. Well, oh my gosh what will we do here:eek: That way she can get one that she likes and seem like a good match.:)

I just read your other post, and the decision on indoor/outdoor is yours. I just thought that I would put in my opinon and take it for what it is worth, free.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I think that it is a good idea whatever your choices are.:D

aly
11-10-2003, 11:08 PM
If you don't mind me suggesting this, I'd go to a feral rescue group if you want a barn cat rather than adopting a shelter cat or kitten to do that. Since ferals want to be outside anyway, they are more ideal for the job. Then maybe you can have an inside only kitty.

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-11-2003, 02:01 AM
I'm really sorry for your loss. I think Aly has given you some good advice! Good luck in finding the purrfect kitty!

jenluckenbach
11-11-2003, 06:06 AM
I am sorry for your loss. I also agree about not making the gift of a kitty a surprise. And I agree furhter that adopting a cat from a rescue that can only be an outside kitty be the way to go. These cats have a harder time finding forever homes because more people want them to stay inside and for one reason or another they cannot. This way you help them by taking them in and giving them a home, they help you by doing what comes naturally to them and they enjoy, while at the same time not condemning a house cat to a life outside.

Tonya
11-11-2003, 06:42 AM

Ditto!

catmandu
11-11-2003, 09:52 AM
You should never make a Cat , a surprise gift , as your mom should be the one to pick out the New Cat! Ansd that is after she feels that she is ready , and is no longer greiving over Precious! RIP Precious and may Cat Angels guide you to the Rainbow Bridge!

Baby Leila
11-11-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by aly

Same here and sorry about yall's loss:(

stacwase
11-11-2003, 04:40 PM
I agree with everyone! Also, if you find a match for your mom, make sure that you have the kitty spayed or neutered right away. Maybe you can even adopt one which has already been altered. :) :)