PDA

View Full Version : My cat doesn't like closed doors. Is there, uh... any reasoning behind this?

ToBeEvergreen
09-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Now Toby, my fluffy Ragamuffin, has a very odd habit, and I'm not sure what to make of it. I can't shut my bedroom door at night, or he will scratch at it. NOT to be let on the other side, because once there, door closed, he scratches again. Then when the door is open he'll just lay in the doorway all content.

He doesn't like most closed doors. Years ago he used to scratch at the bathroom door while I was taking a shower, so he would be my shower buddy. He will scratch at the upstairs bathroom door for it to be open AND now at my closet door!

I don't really get why. He's a friendly cat, very calm and somewhat lazy. He'll purr the second you pet him. He's 15. Anybody have a guess?

http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=4434

krazyaboutkatz
09-02-2011, 12:04 AM
If you're always behind the closed doors then I'd say that he just wants to be with you. Pearl and Sky have to be with me in my bedroom at night when I go to bed. Pearl also loves to be with me when I'm in the bathroom.

aTailOf2Kitties
09-02-2011, 07:07 AM
it's a cat thing. I imagine cat Hell to be an endless corridor of closed doors.:D

Freedom
09-02-2011, 07:45 AM
it's a cat thing. I imagine cat Hell to be an endless corridor of closed doors.:D

LOL
Yes, he wants to have full access to you and to ALL his territory. After all, the Mighty Hunter may need to hunt in that closet! ;)

Randi
09-02-2011, 08:38 AM
I don't think there's any other reason than cats want to make sure they have access to everywhere. :D Fister has been used to open doors all his life, but I'm sure he would be scratching if I closed a door. If I'm away for longer than usual, he will open cupboard doors, too.

Try to keep the bedroom door ajar and you'll get some peace at night. :)

ToBeEvergreen
09-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Bahaha! Funny thing is, once the closet is open, he'll look up and at me and sort of nod, in his own way, and then just walk away o_O.

lvpets2002
09-02-2011, 12:34 PM
:love: WoW your baby is sure Adorable.. Now none of my cats like closed doors.. Everything has to be open at my house.. They even want the shower door to stay open when I am taking a shower.. However I refuse & close that door anyways..:D

Taz_Zoee
09-04-2011, 05:16 PM
We have certain doors that are always closed unless we get into them..closets and water heater. But when a door is closed that is usually always left open.....there is Jax sniffing at the door and wanting it OPEN. He doesn't scratch though...luckily.
Yeah, its just a cat thing. :D Toby sure is adorable!! :)