View Full Version : Wasp sting - itching!!

pomtzu
06-20-2010, 11:02 AM
I got stung on the hand by a wasp on Friday - on the outside of my index finger and right above the large knuckle to the hand.

Got the stinger out, but the itching has been driving me mad!!! It's not swollen except a tiny bit, but that's because I've been rubbing and scratching at it. I've taken Benadryl orally and used a cortisone cream to try to get some relief, but nothing's working. :(

Does anyone have any known remedy for this - maybe something that old Grandma used to use before there were drugs that are "supposed" to work, but don't.

HELP!!!!

Lilith Cherry
06-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Cures from my Grandpa - Basil leaves rubbed on it, cut a lemonor lime and rub it on or wet it with cider vinegar . I hope you feel better soon!

Lilith Cherry
06-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Cures from my Grandpa - Basil leaves rubbed on it, cut a lemon or lime and rub it on or wet it with cider vinegar . I hope you feel better soon!

Bonny
06-20-2010, 11:45 AM
I just read this morning that apple cider vinegar will take the itch away.

Karen
06-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Baking soda and a little water, make a paste and dab it on the sting area, leave it until the itching stops.

Asiel
06-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Cider vinegar usually helps, some claim a slice of onion. If you have some amonia around I've rubbed some on bites before and it did help.
I keep those fake wasp nests all around the house area and it keeps wasps away as they are so teritorial.

pomtzu
06-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestions - the vinegar worked. Not exactly my choice of fragrance tho - I prefer White Diamonds!

I figured if that didn't work, I'd try a double whammy! Baking soda paste made with vinegar rather than water.........:p

sirrahbed
06-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Glad the vinegar worked!! But just for future stings - try meat tenderizer in the mix! Really!! Never tried this last one - but I have read that a dab of Crest toothpaste works best!!:D

pomtzu
06-20-2010, 06:46 PM
After reading your responses, I decided to surf around to see what I could find on line. I found one site (don't remember what it was), but it listed the best and worst of both pharmaceutical and home remedies. Don't waste your money on the pharmaceuticals, because home remedies are far more effective. Benadryl and cortisone creams were NOT all that effective. Yup - I can vouch for that one.

Worst home remedy - slice of onion. Best??? - Crest toothpaste, not the gel. Baking soda/tenderizer/vinegar rated high up there, as well as just plain old ice.

I put the Crest to the test, as I found a travel size that I had stashed away. Rubbed a dab on - it tingled and had a very slight burning sensation - but not at all unpleasant - and after about 15 minutes the itch was gone. Woo-Hoo!!! I guess it varies with individuals, but one tester said he got complete relief for about 9 hours before he had to reapply.

Thought I'd share - never know when you might need it..........:p

cassiesmom
06-20-2010, 08:00 PM
I figured if that didn't work, I'd try a double whammy! Baking soda paste made with vinegar rather than water.........:p

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. A mix of baking soda and vinegar. I put it on mosquito bites too.

boomersooner
06-20-2010, 08:02 PM
When I was a kid, my mom smoked, as did a lot of people her age....anyway, she was outside talking to a friend, when she was stung by a wasp....her friend immediately crushed a cigarette and wet the tobacco and put it on the sting....my mom said it immediately stopped hurting....didn't really believe her until I was stung on the back of the hand....my mom made the poultice (for lack of a better word) out of wet tobacco, and the sting did immediately go away, and I never even knew I had been stung....probably some old grandma's remedy.

Asiel
06-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Glad you got relief from the sting. I remember the toothpaste now, guess we should keep these handy hints somewhere but we'd probably forget where we put them.
Guess I'll save the onions to fry up with green tomatoes. Isn't google wonderful sometimes?

sirrahbed
06-20-2010, 09:56 PM
:D Now I will have to try my Crest on any future stings!! Another use....zits!:cool:

Grace
06-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Lucky for you, Ellie, that the itching was all you had. My husband was stung several years ago, by a wasp, and would have died if I hadn't taken him to the ER.

He then got tested, and is allergic to five stinging insects. He's been getting de-sensitization shots since then. He's now able to go 6 weeks between injections. And he has to carry an Epi-pen with him at all times.

Glad you found some topical treatments.

kokopup
06-20-2010, 11:02 PM
I got stung under my eye yesterday and Adolfs Meat tenderizer in a paste and a Benedry did the trick for me. I usually itch and swell after a sting but this combo took away all symptoms.

Medusa
06-21-2010, 06:34 AM
Tooth paste is also good to apply to fever blisters. I used to get them at the first sign of stress and was always looking for a remedy. It dries them almost instantly.

pomtzu
06-21-2010, 08:38 AM
Lucky for you, Ellie, that the itching was all you had. My husband was stung several years ago, by a wasp, and would have died if I hadn't taken him to the ER.

He then got tested, and is allergic to five stinging insects. He's been getting de-sensitization shots since then. He's now able to go 6 weeks between injections. And he has to carry an Epi-pen with him at all times.

My ex developed allergies to stings when he was in his 40's. Got stung on his neck by something, and the following day looked like a burn victim or that he had been scalded. He was broken out in huge red blotches all over. Had to drag him to the hospital - he said he didn't need to go. :rolleyes:

I had some very aggressive yellow jackets nail me a few years ago. Those suckers actually chased me! :eek: Took a few hits on my leg and the next day it was swollen to almost twice it's size, but that's the worst I've ever had.

MoonandBean
06-21-2010, 09:44 AM
I got a sting on the top of my foot from a black bug this weekend; not sure what it was but the sting hurt and now my foot is swollen, blistered and itchy. Thanks for the tips :) I've been icing it and using cortisone cream but when it gets real itchy, it's hard not to just scratch the hell out of it :)

boomersooner
06-21-2010, 02:22 PM
I've read somewhere where lifeguards carry or used to carry Adolf's meat tenderizer to put on jellyfish stings.

Bonny
06-21-2010, 02:42 PM
I think it was on Survivor where someone got a jellyfish sting & another human peed on the wound. :o

pomtzu
06-21-2010, 04:02 PM
I think it was on Survivor where someone got a jellyfish sting & another human peed on the wound. :o

Since I have access to other remedies, I think I'll pass on that one. :p

Bonny
06-21-2010, 04:12 PM
It also good to get rid of athletes foot too. :eek: It is offical learned that one from the Doctors. ;)

boomersooner
06-21-2010, 08:56 PM
I read somewhere about some pro baseball player who does that (piddles on) his hands to prevent calluses or something like that.....I think I would have to pass on that one, too

Vette
06-21-2010, 09:09 PM
When some mosquito bites go to itching too much i tend to squirt some germ-X on there an that cures it a might fast. burns like heck. but hey LOL

cassiesmom
06-21-2010, 10:40 PM

My brother-in-law is allergic to stinging insects too. He carries an Epi-pen most of the year. He has had to use it twice that I know of. Once on a hot summer day (carrying out the trash, of all things) and once on a nice fall day.

I knew about toothpaste but not about meat tenderizer! Of all things.