PDA

View Full Version : What do you spend on Christmas

Marigold2
12-30-2009, 06:38 PM
No matter how I slice it I usually spend about $300.00 per child on Christmas and then there are all the friends and family so it's about $1500.00. Does that seem in the ballpark to what others spend?
Did you scale down much this year?

cassiesmom
12-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Funny you should ask, I just did the "Christmas math" as I was putting away wrapping paper, bows, tape, etc. I spent about $300, just a bit over budget.

Taz_Zoee
12-30-2009, 11:32 PM
I just figured mine out and I spent roughly $500. That's just my family and friends, not counting Bruce's family. Yes, I did scale back this year, for sure! I had no choice.

Medusa
12-31-2009, 07:24 AM
I buy more only for my son and there's no way I'll spend a large amount on my friends. I don't like them that much. LOL My gift is open house w/a killer buffet dinner and if they're nice to me, they get to take home a cat. ;)

moosmom
12-31-2009, 08:41 AM
I can't spend what I don't have so I'd say, "not much". But it's the thought that counts. At least that's what my parents taught me years ago.

Pinot's Mom
12-31-2009, 08:50 AM
We don't have any non-fur children; we buy for the children on my side of the family (2 grand nieces, 2 grand nephews), do "gift bags" of goodies for the adults, buy small gifts for each other, and, of course, there's Pinot! ;) We do not exchange gifts for the surviving members of my husband's family-no problem, just don't. I use the "regal we" - as my husband hasn't a clue what anyone gets until the gifts are opened...;)

My guesstimate for this year would be approximately $600. It's probably a little more this year - there were many trips to the pet store; it was fun! :D

aTailOf2Kitties
12-31-2009, 10:29 AM
I guess I spent about $600, but I started shopping around the beginning of December so it wasn't all at once. I didn't realize how much stuff I actually bought until I wrapped it all a few days before Christmas. I don't usually spend anywhere near that much but I decided to actually put a little effort into it this year and not end up getting last minute cheap, crappy presents out of sheer desperation.
I don't have a huge lot to buy for though: my boyfriend, his parents, my parents, and 3 family friends.

Alysser
12-31-2009, 11:00 AM
I spent about $300 total on my parents, sister, brother, and 3 friends.

Casper
12-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Due to a hefty fine that the college sneaked on my tab, I was not really able to afford to spend much money at all. I ended up using supplies left over from drawing class to just make presents for a few people. I actually got better reactions on the gifts than if I had just bought them something. For example, I drew this (http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu247/Biscuits_and_Tea/IMG_5063.jpg) portrait for my mum's friend. It is of his beloved Rottie, and and he absolutely loved it.

I am a bad gift giver (I never know what people really want), so it felt good to actually get it right this year!

Pinot's Mom
12-31-2009, 02:10 PM
That picture is gorgeous!! :)

Medusa
12-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Due to a hefty fine that the college sneaked on my tab, I was not really able to afford to spend much money at all. I ended up using supplies left over from drawing class to just make presents for a few people. I actually got better reactions on the gifts than if I had just bought them something. For example, I drew this (http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu247/Biscuits_and_Tea/IMG_5063.jpg) portrait for my mum's friend. It is of his beloved Rottie, and and he absolutely loved it.

I am a bad gift giver (I never know what people really want), so it felt good to actually get it right this year!

Those are the best gifts, trust me. You put your heart and soul into them and they're original, too. Plus it's of a beloved furkid so how can you go wrong?

ETA: A good friend gave me a tile w/my RB Puddy's pic on it and it's able to stand on its own. Obviously, I LOVE it!

pomtzu
12-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Oyster - that was a wonderful gift, and I'm positive it was so much more appreciated than something you could just buy in a store. I'm sure that gift will be treasured for a lifetime - long past the time that other gifts will be long forgotten. :)

*LabLoverKEB*
12-31-2009, 05:07 PM
Oyster, that is a beautiful portrait.:) It looks great! I can honestly say that if I received a portrait of my Sadie, that would be the best gift I had EVER received, ever.

Catlady711
12-31-2009, 11:28 PM
I do a Christmas Club account at my bank every year. I put in a small amount every week and around Halloween they mail me my check.

I haven't felt the need to downsize it any since the $15 a week isn't a problem at this point. Totalling a check of $750 that covers gifts for my husband, my mom, my dad, my coworkers, my cats, and anyone else I end up getting a gift for plus at least one dinner out for me, hubby and my mom which is a tradition on our first big shopping outing of the season.

blue
01-01-2010, 12:04 AM
I suck at the Christmas spending to receiving ratio, this year much more then most.