PDA

View Full Version : Hair salon name

jennielynn1970
12-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Ok, so I know most of you probably think that I'm this really liberal person who will do anything, or say most anything, for fun.

Well, guess who was surprised and speechless when she went to make an appointment at her favorite hair salon, only to find out it was sold and now has a new name.

BLOWN.

No, I'm not kidding.

Now, is it just me, or is that just a tad offensive?? Personally, I was offended, and didn't know what to say or if I even wanted to go there anymore. Part of me though "oh... so they want to be provocative and get more men in here." and part of me thought "oh, so I guess they like coke."

I dunno.

Is it just me???

*LabLoverKEB*
12-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Hmmm..... it's a close call.
Blown could be referring to a 'blow out' hairstyle, or the other.
I guess it's just the way you look at it..... but, I wouldn't name my salon that, if that tells you anything!:)

kuhio98
12-18-2009, 12:14 PM
I voted other because it's just a silly name.

Well, I'm a pretty conservative person and I don't think it's offensive at all.

Of course, it refers to blow drying hair. But, someone thinks they're being cute with the name. Sounds like they succeeded. Bet you'll never forget the name, right? :p

Twisterdog
12-18-2009, 12:18 PM
I don't really think it's a great name for a salon, but not because of the sexual connotations implied. I just think it's rather vague and silly. People could take it as you took, as a euphamism for a sexual act, and be offended. Or people could see it as getting your hair blown dry with a blow dryer ... but it's a stretch, and they have to think about it, and that's usually too much work. Or, they could see it as, "Wow, that was a really expensive place to get my hair cut, I have just blown all my money." I think it was an attempt to be provocative and make people talk, which is the goal of a lot of advertising. I just think they missed the mark.

I personally wouldn't care one way or another, if you get a good haircut, keep going there. Who care what the name is? If it really bothers you, tell the owner.

The name of my dog grooming business is "Cute & Curly". It's so incredibly stupid. I didn't name it, I bought it already named, with too much name-recognition to lose. It's catchy, people like it. I just think it's stupid. I would have named it "Hair of the Dog" had I had the choice. :p

Ask Shelteez what the name of the dog grooming shop she used to work at is! If you are offended by "Blown", you'll die over this! LOL!

I have always thought "Curl Up and Dye" was the funniest name for a salon ever. :D

Taz_Zoee
12-18-2009, 12:41 PM
I already responded to this one on FB. But I voted other. I think it's kinda funny. I wouldn't have named it that. I'd have been too embarrassed. But, like Twisterdog said, if you get a good haircut there, who cares?
My hairstylist named his salon Vibe. Not the same, but still an unusual name.

So will you be going back there? Is your stylist still there?

Medusa
12-18-2009, 01:25 PM
I don't know; I'm not offended. I just think it's kinda stupid. Name's are important, though, and I think they should've given more thought to the name of their business. Want to hear the worst? I drove by a business called "Pick It and Lick It". It was an ice cream stand but there's no way I could ever have bought a cone there. :eek:

Asiel
12-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Not the best choice of names but if they give me the haircut I want then I don't care what they want to call themselves.

lvpets2002
12-18-2009, 02:49 PM
:) I have to aggree.. Hey as for the Marketing side of it.. The Name got your attention & with feed back right..:p
Not the best choice of names but if they give me the haircut I want then I don't care what they want to call themselves.

Shelteez2
12-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Ask Shelteez what the name of the dog grooming shop she used to work at is! If you are offended by "Blown", you'll die over this! LOL!

I have always thought "Curl Up and Dye" was the funniest name for a salon ever. :D

What's wrong with Doggie Style? :confused: :p

Taz_Zoee
12-18-2009, 03:18 PM

OMG, no way!!! Seriously!?!?! Do people ever say anything to you about it offending them?
Personally I think it's hilarious! :D

cassiesmom
12-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Uhmmmm... if it were a place where I was consistently getting good haircuts, I would probably say something.

catnapper
12-18-2009, 03:24 PM
I personally don't like the name. Its silly with obvious double meaning, which I'm sure the owner is aware of. I wonder how clever they think they are. :rolleyes:

I can just picture it being the next salon on Tabitha's Salon Takeover (ever watch that show? its great!) and I can only imagine Tabitha's take on the salon's name. She almost always has something to say about the salon name when they try to be cutesie.

CountryWolf07
12-18-2009, 03:26 PM

:eek: What? LOL. Now that's a name not to forget easily!

Shelteez2
12-18-2009, 05:08 PM
OMG, no way!!! Seriously!?!?! Do people ever say anything to you about it offending them?
Personally I think it's hilarious! :D

I worked there for 6 years and never heard anyone complain. I'll have to ask my friend if anyone complained when she first opened it.
We of course occasionally got the odd joking comment, and well we all that worked there had a blast with it.

:eek: What? LOL. Now that's a name not to forget easily!

The funniest thing about the name was that a lot of people didn't really realize it until we called them to tell them their dog was ready.

Me: "Hi it's Tasha calling from Doggie Style, FiFi is ready to be picked up"
Them: "Who?! From where?!" :eek:
Me: "The dog groomer" :rolleyes:

LOL

As for the original point to the thread, I don't have a problem with the name at all. I think it's a bit of a stretch to make the connection, but meh if they give good cuts that's all that matters. :)

RICHARD
12-18-2009, 05:18 PM
what's in a name?

I saw a place in Thousand Oaks that was named..
Indiana Bones and the Temple of the Lost Bark.

Or something like that.

I don't put too much into a company name.

I am more offended by bad service.;)

jennielynn1970
12-19-2009, 10:29 AM
I guess it was more of the OMG factor for me. This salon is located in the historic section of Bethlehem, PA. It's known for being very conservative and the home to the Moravians, a very structured and rigid religious group. The town was settled back in the 1750's by the Moravians, and people come to Bethlehem all the time to see the churches, the putzes at Christmas time and all the Moravian missionary relics and all that.

It's just NOT the type of place that a shop called BLOWN belongs, I guess is more of my worry. It is a name you won't forget.

By the way, I like the name Doggie Style for Shelteezs shop, lol. That cracks me up!

*LabLoverKEB*
12-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Ok I HAVE to tell you all that I actually saw a hair salon that was named "Curl up and Dye". We were driving through Watsonville (here in CA) on our way to San Martin. The second I saw it, I was like "OMG I have to post this on PT"!!
:D

lizbud
12-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Ok I HAVE to tell you all that I actually saw a hair salon that was named "Curl up and Dye". We were driving through Watsonville (here in CA) on our way to San Martin. The second I saw it, I was like "OMG I have to post this on PT"!!
:D

That one is sooooooooo funny.:D very clever.

aTailOf2Kitties
12-19-2009, 06:44 PM
there was a Curl Up and Dye here in Memphis awhile back. I guess it's a chain?

I wouldn't have batted an eye at Blown. If it was just Blow I might have snickered a bit though.

Leave it to the girl who thinks nothing of hanging out in a nudist colony to think of something naughty ;)

jenluckenbach
12-19-2009, 07:21 PM
I voted OTHER. I just think it is stupid (JMO), not cute at all. If I drove by and saw the name on a sign I would wonder what the shop was (it isn't very obvious). If I was looking for a place to go, I would not choose it. (simply does not give me a good first impression) But if I were going there and the employees were the same, I would probably keep going there.

Grace
12-19-2009, 07:26 PM
I voted other - I think it's sort of stupid. If I saw the name on a store front, without any identifying signs, I wouldn't even know it was a beauty salon.

blue
12-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Unless this business was in Nevada.... No comment, this is a family site.

Karen
12-19-2009, 10:03 PM
It's just an odd name, it wouldn't make me avoid it, though it does have negative connotations, for example, The team had the lead in the third quarter, by the end of the game it was blown.

If it was Blown Away (either impressed or shot to death) or Blown Up (exploded), or Blown Down (knocked over) ... Blown Out (a game won by a huge margin, or what your stylist might do to your hair after it is washed and cut) ... those would all be different, just "Blown" is just weird.

kokopup
12-20-2009, 10:12 AM
I put other because the name "Blown" just didn't have any meaning related to hair. Yes, i am aware of the sexual connotations but my mind is more in tune with the Automobile. If you say Blown to the average Autophile he is going to visualize a big supercharger sitting on top of a hotrod engine. If I drove by I would wonder if this was a Speed shop. I could not make the stretch to a hair salon.

orangemm
12-20-2009, 02:30 PM
I go to a salon where the owner named it after her two beloved dogs, one Bella (RB) and Mia. Bella Mia's.

Gotta go with an animal lover! (plus, she's a great stylist)

Husky_mom
12-20-2009, 07:08 PM
I actually kinda like it.. as in blown away with what youŽd look after going there.. or just about the blow dry methoid used.. or something..

I even imagined the word blown inside some wind swirling hair as the logo.. lol

RICHARD
01-05-2010, 09:55 PM
I actually kinda like it.. as in blown away with what youŽd look after going there..

LOL, we are related!:)

That is what I thought. I hate to have my hair cut, but that would make me want to go and check it out.