PDA

View Full Version : Which pet hair vacuum do you use?

dreamparkingspace
04-29-2009, 01:04 PM
I've been using the same Oreck vacuum for the past 15+ years. My Mom wants to get us a new one. Any recommendations? I've heard the Dyson Animal is really effective at getting pet hair, but we probably can't afford that. I see those Bissell Pet Hair Eraser commercials all the time and that one is under $200, I think, so that might be an option. I wanted to hear from all you gurus though before I go out and spend any money though. :D

Seravieve
04-29-2009, 01:57 PM
We have a Kenmore Progressive (Bagless) and I love love love it. I really wouldn't recommend any Bissell vacuum, especially when dealing with pet hair. We had Bissells when I was at college, in the dorms, and they were junk. Even when they'd get a brand new one it, it'd hardly pick anything up. J's mom bought a Bissell a year or so ago and has since had to replace it. She bought it brand new and it just couldn't handle the cat hair i guess and burnt out. The people I used to clean house for had a Bissell as well and I just hated trying to use it with their two cats' hair... They don't see to last very long either. We've had our Kenmore for 3 or so years now and it still runs great! We have to replace the filters (2) once a year or so, with 3 dogs. Other than that... there's no extra cost to it. And J found it refurbished on eBay.. Her mom just replaced her Bissell with a Kenmore too... Bought a floor model and got a good discount.

I'd like to try a Dyson, but I'd never be willing to pay so much for one.. That's just silly.

Prairie Purrs
04-29-2009, 02:10 PM
I got a Dyson Animal as a Christmas present a couple years ago, and I do love it! I've got a chair and a footstool with white cushions, and the upholstery tool picks up every bit of black and brown fur. And even when my (light beige) carpet looks pretty clean to the naked eye, the vacuum still picks up a ton of fur.

I couldn't have afforded a Dyson myself, though. My sister and I were planning to split the cost and share one, but her mother-in-law and our mom decided to save the day and got us each one!

Taz_Zoee
04-29-2009, 02:14 PM
We have the Dyson Animal and didn't pay that much for it. My boyfriend is frugal and searched online and we got one for around $300 (I don't know the exact price). I absolutely :love::love::love: this vacuum. It is so powerful you could put the hose up to a piece of furniture and move the furniture!!
The only complaint I have is with the small attachment. It gets clogged every time I use it on the entry way rug. But I have part of a hanger and have mastered how to unclog it. The power is amazing on this thing. AND I like that fact that I do not have to mess with bags anymore. Just remove the canister and take it out to the garbage can, press a button and the bottom drops off. Beautiful!!! (Geez, I sound like an info-mercial!)
Plus I like the fact that is has purple on it. Hee hee.

pomtzu
04-29-2009, 02:20 PM
I'd stick with another Oreck. That's what I've been using for about 5 years now, and would never use anything else. Bissell, Hoover - useless!

happylabs
04-29-2009, 02:36 PM
I bought a Bissell last year and am VERY pleased with it. It is not the pet hair one but it works great. It has the easy empty dirt container with lock and seal lever. I am not at home so I can't check the exact model but it is an upright and is bagless. I am amazed at how much hair and dirt this thing picks up. I had a Hoover canister with a bag previously and it did not work well on the pet hair. I bought mine at Walmart and the price was very reasonable. I have never used the Oreck.

Jags mom
04-29-2009, 03:03 PM
I have a kenmore elegance, it was the consumers choise 2 years ago. Its was about $300 and I dont like it. It is a bagless because every 2 days I can fill the canister with 2 huskies hair and the hair left over from grooming a few dogs a week. I would like it a whole lot more if there were no filter in the canister as every time I fill it you have to stick your arm in the canister which is filthy and pull the hair away fron the filter, a pain. Great suction though. I originally when to buy a dyson, but my fiance got sticker shock. lol. The vacuum may work better for different kind of dog hair as husky, or shepherd type dogs have really fluffy undercoat. Im sure with beagle ot lab hair it would work a whole lot better

anna_66
04-29-2009, 06:17 PM
We have a Dyson Animal and I think it's awesome and is the best over all vacuum we've ever owned (I have very furry dogs!)

I don't use it much now that we have pergo flooring, I usually just sweep but it does have a bare floor setting that works well too.

I think you'll find quite a few people will endorse the Dyson here at PT. It's pricey, but well worth it!

Moesha
04-29-2009, 06:25 PM
I love my Dyson.

Craftlady
04-29-2009, 10:07 PM
I have the Bissell Pet Hair and I love it. I paid $119 for it at Walmart. I would love to have a Dyson but I cant justify the cost. To many other things we need that are way more important.

K9karen
04-29-2009, 11:30 PM
I loved my Oreck but it was an upright with no attachments. I had to get out the small cannister vacuum that came with it so it was double work. I still use it on occasion for quick fixes. But I SWEAR by my Electrolux. It's worth every penny and I was able to take it out on time. The only problem is that the bag is small, but then, again, I have lots of dog hair to contend with.

kokopup
04-30-2009, 12:14 PM
I have the Bissell pet and so far I love it. I can't believe how much it picks up every time we use it. We had a Hoover that worked real well but I couldn't keep Impeller blades from getting damaged since whatever you picked up went through the blades before going to the filter. With the Bissell everything goes through the filter first.

AllAmericanPUP
04-30-2009, 01:36 PM
I have the Hoover Mach3 and it's always done a good job of getting up the dog hair

Taz_Zoee
04-30-2009, 01:56 PM
We have a Dyson Animal and I think it's awesome and is the best over all vacuum we've ever owned (I have very furry dogs!)

I don't use it much now that we have pergo flooring, I usually just sweep but it does have a bare floor setting that works well too.

I think you'll find quite a few people will endorse the Dyson here at PT. It's pricey, but well worth it!

When we were researching the Dyson I came here to PT and read others thoughts on it. That's another reason we went with it.

And I always use the barefloor setting. I don't sweep anymore. :D This vacuum is so powerful when you vacuum on hardwood it pulls hair and dirt from under things and you can actually see the stuff being sucked into it. And I love the hose attachment part too. It's so easy and everything is right there on the vacuum. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!

CathyBogart
04-30-2009, 02:12 PM
I paid full price for my Dyson Animal and I have no regrets. I LOVE IT.

ramanth
04-30-2009, 03:18 PM
We have the Dyson Animal. Love it! :love:

pomtzu
04-30-2009, 03:41 PM
I originally went with the Oreck because it was so lightweight. I had a Hoover Wind Tunnel before that, and not only didn't it do a good job, but it weighed a ton, and I couldn't handle it after my back surgery. I never had a Kenmore that lasted more than a couple of years, and normally Kenmore products are great. I even talked my "cheapy" brother in to an Oreck - after he said they weren't worth the money. :D

Seravieve
04-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Man... All this vacuum talk makes me want a Dyson Animal.. I can't believe how many of you all have them and are all so happy with it. Maybe when our's starts to bite the dust... we'll look into one. :D Now all I have to do is cross my fingers and do some effective persuading.

mr.chiwawa
04-30-2009, 09:43 PM
I have pergo flooring so Mister and I arent any help......:rolleyes:

MonicanHonda
04-30-2009, 11:14 PM
We have a yellow bissell that comes with the pet paw for furniture. Honda sheds year around horribly and I think it works great!!! Cheap bissells suck but when you put a decent amount of money in, they work good!

Freedom
05-01-2009, 09:12 AM
I have no carpet, all hardwoods and linoleum.

With 11 cats, I gave up trying, and bought a 6 gal wet vac, Lowe's had them on sale for $24.99 a while back. I use the floor brush from my prior vac, as the work horse brush has no bristles on it and would mar the hardwood.

Oh the suction! It is getting EVERYTHING up, thank goodness. True, I have to fish the catnip mice out of the grub when I empty it, but that is minor. I am very pleased.

It is not as noisy as the old wet/dry vac we had, pleasant surprise!

cali
05-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Dyson Animal here, LOVE it! I really cant afford a $500 vacuum but sucked it up and forked it over, and I never looked back, its awsome!

Moesha
05-13-2009, 07:19 AM
Macy's has the DC18 Dyson Slim for $249 on closeout on their website.

Here is the link. (http://www.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=241003&PartnerID=LINKSHARE&LinkshareID=59JLB7sBj1c-Clp98Ym70uP7WQZuGLeQPw) It says $299, but when you add it to your cart, you save $50.

MonicanHonda
05-13-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm just kidding. I looked at mine and it's a eureka. Lol

finn's mom
05-14-2009, 08:33 AM
We use a Dyson and it definitely does the job. There are six dogs in the house, only one doesn't shed. I vacuum at least every other day (usually every day). It's not our vacuum, but I will buy one when we move into our own home again (we are living with my sister-in-law). It is well worth it. The canister gets full almost every time I vacuum, but I just knock it against the side of the trashcan, I don't stick my hand in there to clean the filter. We pick up a ton of fur, and considering I only really regularly vacuum our bedroom, one living room rug and one runner, that's a LOT! Most of the floor is laminate, so I use a big microfiber sweeper thing for that.

Moesha
05-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Overstock.com has a Dyson Animal refurbished with a 6 month warranty for $263. There are some other deals on new and refurbished Dyson's there also.