PDA

View Full Version : I finally read Twilight

jazzcat
01-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Well I decided it was time to crawl out from under my rock and see what all the hype was about. I LOVED it! In fact I'm so hooked I've ordered the second book (should be here tomorrow) and I'm probably going to order books 3 & 4. I was hoping to hold out for the paperback of those two but I know I can't wait that long.

So now I feel like I'm part of the club, finally.

Just wandering though, was the movie a let down from the book? Did you enjoy it too?

caseysmom
01-15-2009, 04:59 PM
I loved the movie and saw it twice. My daughter was a little disappointed the first time but liked the movie the second time we saw it.

I want to see it again and will definitely buy the dvd.

Karen
01-15-2009, 05:10 PM
I have not yet seen the movie, and will probably wait for DVD. I am a huge fan of the books, but so many movies do so poorly at bringing the book to "life" that I often kinda dread them!

Sirrahsim
01-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Woot Woot!! I'm so glad that you liked it! :D:D Another fan has been "bitten" by the Twilight Saga:D

Suki Wingy
01-15-2009, 07:48 PM
I was quite happy with the movie, actually. I'm just disappointed they decided to keep the actor who played Jake.

carole
01-15-2009, 08:11 PM
My daughter Melissa went and saw the film twice she loved it,infact it inspired her to read, she hates reading, and so she asked us if we would buy her the book,no problem there, could not get there fast enough, she finally is reading, and we will be getting eclipse soon and one other, have forgotten the name right now, so thank you twilight.:)

jazzcat
01-20-2009, 12:52 PM
I finished New Moon and still loving it. Guess I will break down and order the last two even though they are still in hardback. I'm anxious to read them all.

Sirrahsim
01-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Ahh if I were closer I'd let you borrow them. Could you maybe request them from the library?

binka_nugget
01-20-2009, 02:05 PM
If you have a costco near you, you might want to see if they have Twilight in stock. We got our hardcover copies for $13 there :D

I loved the movie.. I've seen it 7 times LOL. I had seen the movie first, fell in love with it, and then gave in and read the books. I loved the movie, of course, but the books were just amazing!! There was a lot more potential, but I'm still pretty happy with the outcome. I'm not too happy about New Moon being filmed in March and released in November. I'm worried it'll just be too rushed and won't set up the story very well for the third and fourth book/movie.

sirrahbed
01-20-2009, 02:24 PM
I checked out Twilight at the library a couple of months ago but just could not get IN to it:p But, I went to the movie and was pretty mesmerized so now have it on reserve again at the library:D Like you Lori, I am mainly curious when I hear that so many folks are enjoying something and sometimes find that I am appreciative also. The last *new* thing I tried was a computer game - my first ever - and I am hooked. I love reading best of all and am looking forward to having a new saga to follow. I LOVE ongoing stories with lots of characters to get to know.

So maybe I will be part of the "club" eventually!! So far I am reserving judgement until I have actually done the reading.

ramanth
01-20-2009, 05:13 PM
I've read the books and seen the movie and I think the movie did a great job of portraying the plot.

Right now, I'm reading 'The Host' and am loving it!

jazzcat
01-20-2009, 05:37 PM
I thought I would try eBay for a used copy of the last two books and OMG, I can't believe all the stuff for sale. A favorite is the bumper sticker "I drive like a Cullen". The pillowcases that say "The future Mrs. Edward Cullen sleeps here" are too funny too. It's amazing but I can't make fun because I'm sure if I was a teenager I'd want all that stuff.

Debbie - maybe you'll like it more on the second try. I wasn't too sure at first but then I got totally absorbed. I usually have a hard time with the winter blues in Jan. and Feb. and these books are just what I need to escape - easy reading that takes me along with it.

Suki Wingy
01-20-2009, 09:54 PM
these books are just what I need to escape - easy reading that takes me along with it.

EXACTLY what I think. Much easier to get into them then deal with my own worries.

Zippy
01-21-2009, 03:21 PM
I just started reading Twilight and I'm really loving it.

Alysser
01-21-2009, 03:27 PM
I think I'm the only one in this town who is not obsessed with the series. I've never had an interest in it but people are begging me to read it. I don't want it to pull me under into the grip of obsession! :p It happened to me like...2 times already. I never liked POTC until I saw the movie, I WAS OBSESSED I TELL YOU! I never liked the Jonas Brothers or Camp Rock, then I saw it. Can you guess what happened from there? I just don't want to be a Twilight geek. XD Plus, I think Rob Pattinson is the ugliest person alive, THAT I'm afraid will never change. Should I take the plunge? I'm hesitant. :o

*LabLoverKEB*
01-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Alyssa, I'm with you! For some reason, I've never really been interested in Twilight... although my friends want me to read it, as well!

caseysmom
01-21-2009, 03:32 PM
I think I'm the only one in this town who is not obsessed with the series. I've never had an interest in it but people are begging me to read it. I don't want it to pull me under into the grip of obsession! :p It happened to me like...2 times already. I never liked POTC until I saw the movie, I WAS OBSESSED I TELL YOU! I never liked the Jonas Brothers or Camp Rock, then I saw it. Can you guess what happened from there? I just don't want to be a Twilight geek. XD Plus, I think Rob Pattinson is the ugliest person alive, THAT I'm afraid will never change. Should I take the plunge? I'm hesitant. :o

He is hotter than hot, come on girl close your eyes and jump!

Alysser
01-21-2009, 03:35 PM
He is hotter than hot, come on girl close your eyes and jump!

Hehe, me and you never found something to argue about. :D Now I think we do. I can't stand his face anymore. It's so ugly my sister shows me pictures constantly ugh. And to clarify I was never INSANELY obsessed with the Jonas Brothers but I hated them, I started to like them, now I love them, some of their music sucks but alot of it's good.. Thinking about it..I'm still reading Dewey so it'll wait XD

caseysmom
01-21-2009, 03:40 PM
Come on just read the book already!

Karen
01-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Robert Pattison has nothing to do with the book. The good thing about books is you can imagine how the characters look in your own mind - to me, Robert Pattison is not "Edward Cullen" - just the actor who plays him in the movie. I pictured Edward quite differently when reading the book, as I did most of the characters.

Husky_mom
01-21-2009, 04:52 PM
well... how do I say this... Iīm really not drawn to it either... maybe if I read/saw it Iīd be interested... but so far it hasnīt gotten into me... I just donīt feel it :p

jazzcat
01-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Robert Pattison has nothing to do with the book. The good thing about books is you can imagine how the characters look in your own mind - to me, Robert Pattison is not "Edward Cullen" - just the actor who plays him in the movie. I pictured Edward quite differently when reading the book, as I did most of the characters.
I agree Karen. He isn't how I pictured Edward. I don't have a problem with him playing the part in the movie because I know there isn't anyone who could fit my image. Since Meyers spent so much time on Edward's beauty I think it would impossible to find the perfect Edward.

For those of you not sure if you would like the books, I never thought I would and had no intention of reading them until I listened to my 24 year old niece go on about them at Christmas. I figured why not give it a chance and I'm so glad I did. I'm 41 (choke, did I really just admit that? :eek:) and typically read medical/forensic mysteries and never love stories or vampires stuff so you can see they really appeal to a broad audience.

finn's mom
04-05-2009, 10:10 PM
I did a search on "Cullen" and this thread came up. I have been avoiding the books for awhile now, because I know how obsessed I get. :) But, I finally caved and saw the film on DVD the other day. And, now...a short week later...I am the owner of all the books and the soundtrack. I've watched the movie three times, and am on the third book. I've read each of the first two books in about six hours a piece, split in two sessions per book. Call me hooked. I love Edward Cullen, hahaha.

Nomilynn
04-05-2009, 10:26 PM
It's weird because Robert Pattison is so hot as Edward, but as Robert Pattison, he's only ok.

They are all out here filming New Moon but I'm not one of the obsessed fans that stalk them around Vancouver (apparently there are lots!!!).

I'm a member of Team Edward for SURE.. as the books went on, I hated Jacob more and more.

carole
04-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Kari my daughter saw the movie twice ,then read the first book and has the two others to read when she gets some spare time, yes i think she also said the guy was hot in the film but not so in person, funny that.:)

Suki Wingy
04-05-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm a member of Team Edward for SURE.. as the books went on, I hated Jacob more and more.

:eek: I am the exact opposite. As the books went on I started to get really pissed with Edward and started liking Jake more and more. I bought a "Team Jacob" shirt the other day. :D

ramanth
04-06-2009, 01:47 AM
That's movie magic for ya! LOL!

happylabs
04-06-2009, 07:22 AM
My daughter saw the movie and then read the book. She told me I HAD to read it and see the movie. I wasn't really interested but she had the book so I did read it and it was Excellent! Then I saw the movie a few weeks ago on PPV. I agree with Karen. They did an excellent job of portraying the book in the movie. A lot of the scenes were what I had pictured in my head. However, the characters were all different than what I had imagined. I have the second book here to read now. I highly recommend it even if you do not think it is the type of thing you would be interested in.

finn's mom
04-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Well, I started and finished Eclipse this morning. Can't wait to start Breaking Dawn, although I'm going to try really hard to put it off until Thursday, my next day off. Don't know if I'll be able to. In fact, I'm sure I won't. :)

Cataholic
04-07-2009, 02:06 PM
I am older than Jazzcat! ACK! I have no idea what you all are talking about. :)

finn's mom
04-07-2009, 02:14 PM
I am older than Jazzcat! ACK! I have no idea what you all are talking about. :)

A series of books that they are making into movies. The books are great for all ages. If you're a reader, check 'em out. :)