PDA

View Full Version : Ham question

caseysmom
10-02-2008, 10:41 AM
I am having a party Sunday and I am making a ham. I bought a big ham from Sam's club, its boneless and not sliced.

Any ideas for a good glaze? Do I just throw it in the oven for an hour at 350 ...will my electric slicer be good enough?

Lady's Human
10-02-2008, 11:34 AM
The glaze out of Fanny Farmer works well....

preheat oven to 350

1 Cup brown Sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp dry mustard

mix the ingredients, put the glaze on the ham about 1 hour before the ham is done. (internal temp of 130 degrees, the ham is done at 160)

We use about 15- 20 whole cloves stuck into the ham, and you can use pineapple rings and marachino cherries as well.

No boiled eggs involved!

Sirrahsim
10-02-2008, 11:36 AM
brown sugar, pineapple juice, honey, and a little bit of corn starch.

YUMMY!!

Taz_Zoee
10-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Ok, I am hungry!!! And ham is my all time favorite!!! My tummy is growling now. :(
My mom always makes ham and I think she uses what Missy just posted.

Enjoy! And have a good time at your party! :)

caseysmom
10-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks everyone. Its the end of season for her sports team and every year a family hosts the party so it was my turn:D

My house has gone under a major overhaul the last few weeks, I am exhausted. I took a ton of junk out of the game run which had turned into a junk room and put a ping pong table in there.

I have been trying to clean up the fig tree that grew over the trampoline, and just general cleanup around the house to get ready...its good to have company sometimes:D

Sevaede
10-02-2008, 01:42 PM
My dad likes to put the ham in one of those oven bags (like for a turkey). He, then, rubs it with brown sugar. He takes a can of pineapple slices and put them on the ham. Pours the juice over the top. Then cooks! :D

caseysmom
10-02-2008, 01:59 PM
My dad likes to put the ham in one of those oven bags (like for a turkey). He, then, rubs it with brown sugar. He takes a can of pineapple slices and put them on the ham. Pours the juice over the top. Then cooks! :D

Wow I never thought of that...that is a good idea..is that a pre cooked ham?

prechrswife
10-02-2008, 02:03 PM
One of the simplest things is to pour a Coca-Cola or Pepsi over the ham before baking. It actually makes a very good glaze, as strange as it may sound.

caseysmom
10-02-2008, 02:21 PM
One of the simplest things is to pour a Coca-Cola or Pepsi over the ham before baking. It actually makes a very good glaze, as strange as it may sound.

I have heard that too I may do that I am lazy!

beeniesmom
10-02-2008, 03:18 PM

Yup, that's the only way I make mine. Just make sure it's a regular, not diet, or you won't get any glaze.

K9karen
10-02-2008, 08:52 PM

My mom did that too. Yes.. precooked ham..she bought the canned ones (ick) but good in a clinch. To this day I can't eat a oven baked ham without pineapple! My aunt used o.j. and brown sugar.

Every recipe sounds yummy!!!!

Marigold2
10-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Some of the specialty supermarkets have special glazes, also try Martha Stewart or the food channel.

cassiesmom
10-04-2008, 07:46 PM

Hey, my sister did that with a ham for a family reunion and it was delicious. It sounded odd when she told me, but it turned out great. My roommate from college uses the same combo as sirrahsim when she serves a ham.

Twisterdog
10-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Honey and dijon mustard

Sevaede
10-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Wow I never thought of that...that is a good idea..is that a pre cooked ham?

Nope, I believe it is uncooked. :D

caseysmom
10-05-2008, 12:02 AM
So I think I am going with brown sugar, pineapple juice and honey...forgot to buy cornstarch...and the pineapple juice I grabbed was accidently the pineapple orange...

I bought pineapple slices and marchino cherries...

So dab all the junk on, put the slices and cherries and bake at 350 for an hour? or do I put the pineapple and cherries on later?

Karen
10-05-2008, 12:05 AM
You can put the pineapple slices and cherries on anchor with cloves if you have them! Put them on before it goes in the oven.

caseysmom
10-05-2008, 12:23 AM
I didn't buy cloves...figured the kids wouldn't like that flavor...can I hope they stay on their own?

caseysmom
10-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Also...I have a teflon pan for large things like this...it has a rack...should I use the rack or just put it in the pan?

Lady's Human
10-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Put the rack in. Helps the meat cook evenly.