PDA

View Full Version : We've adopted two cats!

Emeraldgreen
09-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Well, we did it, we found a cat that needed a home and that would hopefully help Jimmy be happier after losing his two best friends in the last year. The thing is, the cat we found had bonded with another fellow at the SPCA and they could only be adopted together. So now we have two new family members!
The search started weeks ago and I found a cat named Wallace at the SPCA in the town I used to live in. ( I did check my local SPCA each day but hadn't found the 'right' guy). I contacted them and discovered that this neat looking orange and white guy I had found online had been badly attacked by a raccoon and his family had signed him over to the SPCA because they were going to have him put down rather than get him fixed up.
He is a very, very gentle boy and quite timid. He was afraid at the shelter. There was another cat there named Simba that had belonged to an elderly woman who had dementia that had progressed to the point that she no longer knew she even had a cat. Her family surrendered Simba to the shelter. He too is so gentle and he was also very scared. These two guys found each other at the shelter (about a month ago) and bonded immediately. They slept together, ate together and groomed each other. So the SPCA decided that they needed to find a home together.
We were going to travel there to get them ourselves but it would be a few hours drive and a few ferries and my husband had just gone through surgery so they said that they would contact the floatplane company and see if the airline would offer to fly the boys for free. And they did! :)
We've had them for over a week now and they are part of the family.

I've put together a collection of pics and footage of their first day here and their second and then some from just a few days ago. They are so lovable and we adore them.
Jimmy really likes Wallace and Paddy really likes Simba and I think in time, they will all become very good friends.
We were going to change Simba's name to Gromit so they'd be 'Wallace and Gromit' but Simba's fur is so beautiful and the softest that we have ever touched so we're going to name him Mink! We're going to work it in slowly so it's not confusing for him. For awhile he will be Simba-Mink and then we'll begin to just call him Mink. Wallace will keep his name. :)

p.s. Jimmy became very ill this morning and was rushed to the hospital. He is fighting an internal infection of some kind. We're hoping to have him home soon so he can be back with Paddy and his new brothers. Jimmy's thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=145868).

Here is the video of Wallace and Mink: http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq32/lara777pics/th_cd7ff6c5.jpg (http://s431.photobucket.com/albums/qq32/lara777pics/?action=view&current=cd7ff6c5.pbr)

Moesha
09-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Come back! The video link isn't working and need to see Wallace and Simaba-Mink! LOL

Grace
09-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Doesn't work for me either.

Emeraldgreen
09-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Sorry about that! I've fixed it now. :)

Moesha
09-04-2008, 10:24 PM
Oh they are so precious! Mink looks just like my brother's family's cat, Tom Cooter! I'm amazed at how well everyone got along so quickly. That is such a nice story and I'm glad you could help two kitties who desperately needed some love. It was funny because as I was watching the video I asked myself, "I wonder if they've gotten to go in the bus to the outdoor enclosure." Then the next thing I knew there was that video! Thanks for sharing it. And I sure hope Jimmy does well and gets to come home soon.

Grace
09-04-2008, 10:27 PM
I love your house!

Mink cracks me up with that tunnel - and his mackeral tabby markings are wonderful.

Wallace reminds me of my Duffy, although your Wallace is a bit lighter in color. The sweetness shines through. Which one weas licking Mink - was that Jimmy?

Thank you for adopting those beautiful boys. I'm sending prayers for Jimmy.

jennielynn1970
09-04-2008, 11:31 PM
What sweeties!!! You definitely got two wonderful boys there! Wallace looks like such a nice boy, and Simba/Mink is just too funny with his tunnel playing. I love his tabby markings! Wow!

I want Paddy!! He's just this big hunk of love looking cat! He's huge!!! He reminds me of my sweet boy Calloway, lol. Must be a tuxie thing. ;)

Pets and belly rubs to all!!!

jenluckenbach
09-05-2008, 05:35 AM
Congratulations on your two new babies. :) :)

Medusa
09-05-2008, 07:19 AM
What lucky boys that they get to live in Lara's house! They're so sweet and how easily they fit right in. May I move in, too? I love your house and furnishings. Bless you and may you all bring each other joy for decades.

Scooter's Mom
09-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Oh I love them both! Wallace looks so laid back but I bet in a few weeks he'll be zooming around!

You done good! :)

moosmom
09-05-2008, 07:53 AM
What lucky boys they are to have such a loving home. I've got LES major!!! Congratulations on your new extended family.

Bengalz
09-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Congratulations on your new additions:D Wallace and Mink are two very fortunate boys to be adopted into such a wonderful home:love: I am so amazed at how well everyone is getting along - outstanding:) I can't wait to see more photos!!

Healing thoughts and lots of hugs for poor little Jimmy. I hope the infection clears quickly and he can come home to play:D

Randi
09-05-2008, 09:53 AM
What gorgeous boys they are, and so lucky they get to live with you! :D It's amazing how well they all get along in such a short time. So relaxed and playful. :)

Where did get that tunnel? I've been thinking of making/getting one for Fister, I'm sure he'd love it!

Thanks for sharing the video, it was fun to see!

lvpets2002
09-05-2008, 10:35 AM
:love: Many Congrates Babies on your new FurrEver Home.. Both you Handsome Boys are Adorable..

Taz_Zoee
09-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Everyone pretty much covered what I was thinking. :D
Those are two handsome and lucky boys to be with you. I loved seeing them playing. They look so comfortable already in their new home.
And Paddy on his back...LOVED it!!

jazzcat
09-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Congratulations! They are very cute and I love that everyone is already buddies. I have no idea what that must be like, my guys still fuss and fight.

catmandu
09-05-2008, 04:47 PM
I WILL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL I AM AT THE LIBRARY AND HIGH PSEED BEFORE I SEE WALLACE AND MINK.
THATS GREAT THAT TWO CATS NOW HAVE FURREVER HOMES AND THAT THERE ARE TWO MORE VACANCIES IN THAT SHELTER, AND HOPEFULLY THOSE CATS WILL BE JUST AS FORTUNATE AS THIER PREDECESSORS.
CONCATULATIONS ON MAKING TWO DAER FRIENDS FOR LIFE WHO WILL REPAY YOU A MILLION TIMES OVER FOR YOUR KINDNESS :love::cool:

momtomany
09-05-2008, 07:29 PM
I am going to add my Congrats as well. Everyone has eloquently welcomed Wallace and Mink. They are beautiful!!

Lisacl
09-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks for sharing the video. Its so cute how the 2 cats grew to be best buds in the shelter. Two more cats get awesome homes. Its also cool how Wally and Mink have the same white paws. Its like they were actually brother or sisters. I love that outdoor inclosure you have for them. Talk about spoiled kitties.

NoahsMommy
09-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Awww x 4!!! :) :) :) :)

You have the BEST KITTY HOUSE, EVER!! A whole upstairs room devoted to the kitties AND an outdoor kitty enclosure? Wow! They sure are lucky kitties! Wallace and Mink sure lucked out with their new hoomans and kitty siblings! :) The pictures and film was just lovely! I loved the tunnel footage, so funny. When W & M hung together and cuddled - awww, way too cute! :D :love:

Congrats on two truly gorgeous, sweet additions.

I'm off to go read Jimmy's thread. I hope he's OK real quickly.

Hugs, Kelly & Kits

Emeraldgreen
09-08-2008, 01:50 PM
It was funny because as I was watching the video I asked myself, "I wonder if they've gotten to go in the bus to the outdoor enclosure." Then the next thing I knew there was that video!

LOL! :)Ah yes, the 'shuttle bus' to the enclosure. I'm the only driver these days because my hubby can't lift more than ten pounds. Rotating this many cats in and out is hard on the back!

Thank you everybody for your posts about the new guys and Jimmy and the nice comments about our house. :)

Medusa wrote:
What lucky boys that they get to live in Lara's house! They're so sweet and how easily they fit right in. May I move in, too? I love your house and furnishings. Bless you and may you all bring each other joy for decades.
Thanks Mary! My guess is that every PT home is a good one by the sounds of it. Thoughts of Fudgsicles, roasted chicken and ladders leading to sinks come to mind. LOL)

We turned two of the rooms into 'cat rooms' so they could have space to romp around and make a mess if they want. We rotate everybody throughout the day so everyone gets some time in the playroom or downstairs with us or outside in the enclosure etc.. They don't all get along so we have to keep them in their 'groups'. Some can be moved into the other groups, like Paddy who visits with Teenie and Tiny for an hour or so each day and Jimmy and Paddy who hang with Stinky for a few hours.

We put a bunch of cat carriers and dog kennels in the cat room and filled them with bedding and put bedding on top so there are lots of choices for sleeping. We recently had to remove some old cat trees and one chair because I think Jimmy was eating some threads from them and may have caused his problem.
I went to a flooring store and picked up remnants of carpets and lino pieces for the floor. I was surpised how cheap they were. The lino was only 5.00 per piece and the big pieces of carpet were 15.00 each. They also sell those little carpet samples for 1.00 each and the cats like to sit on those alot. We also put an old tv in their room with a cheap dvd player we picked up for 20.00 and play dvd's for them. I picked up some dvd's for super cheap (2.00 each) of old shows like Alice, Dick Van Dyke and PettyCoat Junction. LOL Yep, I've officially lost it. :rolleyes: They seem to like it though and it makes it seem more like a livingroom environment for them with the tv going. I also got them a cat video that has a full half hour of interesting things on it like birds, bugs and fish on it.
Here are some pics of the main cat room:
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd102/emeraldcreek/catroom.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd102/emeraldcreek/Wallace.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd102/emeraldcreek/Mink.jpg

And this is the other cat room.:
http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq32/lara777pics/IMG_4250.jpg

But everybody's favourite spot to be is on our bed! Usually there is a 3 cat maximum in our room at one time though there have been 4 on occasion. Stinky is the only one that sleeps with us though.
http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq32/lara777pics/IMG_4251.jpg

Randi wrote:
Where did get that tunnel? I've been thinking of making/getting one for Fister, I'm sure he'd love it!

They have more fun with that tunnel!! It was a good investment and pretty cheap too. I bought two of them and tied them together. They're easy to take apart so I can put one in each cat room or join them together to make a longer tunnel. I bought them at a small pet shop in the town I used to live in but I think any petstore will have them, especially the bigger stores. I think I paid about 20.00 per tunnel. Mink loses his mind on the tunnel! He likes it more than any cat we've ever had. lol

Catmandu wrote:
I WILL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL I AM AT THE LIBRARY AND HIGH PSEED BEFORE I SEE WALLACE AND MINK.
THATS GREAT THAT TWO CATS NOW HAVE FURREVER HOMES AND THAT THERE ARE TWO MORE VACANCIES IN THAT SHELTER, AND HOPEFULLY THOSE CATS WILL BE JUST AS FORTUNATE AS THIER PREDECESSORS.

That's a neat thought about two spaces opening up at the shelter. I hadn't thought of that. :) I will post a picture below of the two new guys in case you weren't able to get to the library.

Thanks again everybody for welcoming our boys. We're so blessed to have them.
http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq32/lara777pics/IMG_4207.jpg

cassiesmom
09-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Emeraldgreen, your kitties are precious. I love the look Wallace gives at 1:40 in the video - the kitty "I meant to do that" face! Please give them loads of hugs for me!

Laura's Babies
09-09-2008, 07:37 AM
God Belss you for taking those two when you were only looking for one! People do not realize how tramatic it is for some of them to be sent to a shelter and how terrified they get there. They were so lucky that they found each other there and now can be friends/buddies for the rest of their life. They must think they have hit the big lotto when they came home with you and they sure do look like they have took right to their new home. LUCKY you, LUCKY them!!!

Yea, me and my babies would love to come live in your beautiful house too! I would just sleep in the cats rooms with the cats!

krazyaboutkatz
09-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Congrats!!!:D They're both very handsome boys.:) I'm sorry that I haven't been able to reply sooner but I don't have any internet connection on my computer and I'm currently using my dad's computer.:o