PDA

View Full Version : Got my cartlidge pierced.

caseysmom
07-03-2008, 02:58 PM
My daughter got hers done so I went the next day and did it too...pretty hip for an old lady huh? I will post a pic later....

pitc9
07-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Pretty hip in deed!
Can't wait for the picture!

Sirrahsim
07-03-2008, 04:14 PM
please please please tell me that you didn't let someone pierce it with one of those piercing guns:eek:
I got my cartilage pierced when I was younger and didn't know the terrible trauma that piercing guns cause when they are used on cartilage. After years of battling one infection after another it FINALLY closed up and doesn't bother me anymore.

caseysmom
07-03-2008, 04:18 PM
please please please tell me that you didn't let someone pierce it with one of those piercing guns:eek:
I got my cartilage pierced when I was younger and didn't know the terrible trauma that piercing guns cause when they are used on cartilage. After years of battling one infection after another it FINALLY closed up and doesn't bother me anymore.

Yes that is what I did, my other daughter had it done 2.5 years ago with no problem. I do have to clean it 3 times a day.

Karen
07-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Yes, be very, very sure to clean it and rotate it very regularly, as there is so much less tissue there that it is prone to infection. Once it heals, don't put any cheap earrings up there, as it's very sensitive, and the nickel can cause irritation and infection.

Sirrahsim
07-03-2008, 04:25 PM
You other daughter is lucky.:) Hopefully you and your daughter will be lucky too! :)

caseysmom
07-03-2008, 04:32 PM
If I have issues I will take it out! One thing is a problem, I use a hands free phone at work and can't clip it on the ear I am use to anymore...

My daughter said the navel hurt a whole lot more.

Sirrahsim
07-03-2008, 04:47 PM
If it gets infected, you do not want to take it out unless a doctor tells you to. That can cause the pus to get trapped in the piercing and cause an abscess to form. If it gets a mild infection you can treat it by slathering it with antibiotic ointment. If you get a bad infection you will obviously need to see a doctor.

I don't mean to be a spoil sport:( Hopefully you won't have to worry about any of that:D:D

caseysmom
07-03-2008, 04:49 PM
If it gets infected, you do not want to take it out unless a doctor tells you to. That can cause the pus to get trapped in the piercing and cause an abscess to form. If it gets a mild infection you can treat it by slathering it with antibiotic ointment. If you get a bad infection you will obviously need to see a doctor.

I don't mean to be a spoil sport:( Hopefully you won't have to worry about any of that:D:D

Bleehhhhh I hope I don't have those issues.....

Sirrahsim
07-03-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm sorry :( I should have kept my mouth shut.
Enjoy your piercing! I think cartilage piercings look really nice regardless of what instrument put them there :)

caseysmom
07-03-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm sorry :( I should have kept my mouth shut.
Enjoy your piercing! I think cartilage piercings look really nice regardless of what instrument put them there :)

Thats okay you are keeping me faithful about doing the cleaning:D

jackie
07-03-2008, 05:17 PM
I had mine pierced with a gun years ago and the only reason I took it out was that it was uncomfortable to sleep on my side!

bckrazy
07-06-2008, 05:09 AM
You are one hot mama! Lawls. ; )

I got my cartilege pierced with a gun YEARS ago... I only regret it, because apparently the gun is way more painful. It tears the cartilege, instead of making a clean hole. It took a few months for me to be able to sleep on my sides comfortably, but I never got an infection.

Well, until I swam in the river a couple years later. But I'm pretty sure that infection was from the water. Eww. Make sure you clean it after swimming!

caseysmom
07-06-2008, 09:44 AM

I got my cartilege pierced with a gun YEARS ago... I only regret it, because apparently the gun is way more painful. It tears the cartilege, instead of making a clean hole. It took a few months for me to be able to sleep on my sides comfortably, but I never got an infection.

Well, until I swam in the river a couple years later. But I'm pretty sure that infection was from the water. Eww. Make sure you clean it after swimming!

I just got back from Tahoe,,,went tubing so hopefully that won't cause a problem.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Had mine done ages ago with a gun and had no problems

Sevaede
07-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Woohoo! :D Congratulations! :D How do you feel?

I don't have any of my piercings right now (due to a series of unfortunate events :P ). I will be getting my ears, nose, and tongue re done for sure.

Rather, the gun forces the jewelry through the ear. Since jewelry is not sharp enough to pierce anything really. Guns are pretty notorious for harbouring infections. Most of which are made of plastic and cannot be properly cleaned with an autoclave.

Donnaj4962
07-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Here in Indiana, you cannot legally have your cartlidge pierced at an ear piercing shop. The "piercer" has to have a special license, and around here, I had to go to a tattoo shop to find someone who could do it. He was great, very sterile, and the pain was very quick! I had mine done 4 years ago, and I have never had any problems. I have a friend whose daughter (14) pierced hers ON HER OWN! She just took an earring and forced it through! OW! :eek::eek: I cannot believe she did it! She has had it done for a year or so, and had no problems either. Just keep it clean and I am sure you will be fine.

You may have some pain when you sleep on that ear. No big deal though. My ear would be a little sore and red when I woke up. That went on for about 6 months.

Can't wait to see a picture! :)

CathyBogart
07-07-2008, 03:04 PM
*nudge* Where's the picture? :D

caseysmom
07-07-2008, 03:20 PM
I have to get some makeup on to take a pic :D

I haven't had any problems so far, not even sleeping on it.

pitc9
07-08-2008, 03:58 PM
What?! You need to put make up on to take a picture of your ear?!?!
:p
J/K

Guess you just want to keep us waiting!!
;)