PDA

View Full Version : Miss Smokey is in labor right now! UPDATE

kimlovescats
04-14-2008, 01:15 AM
It has already been a long day and night. Saturday afternoon I noticed a bit of discharge from Smokey. I sat by her all day. It wasn't until 11 p.m. that she finally started labor. She is doing very well and is not wanting me to even dream about leaving her side! ;) I'm sure we will be up all night ... errr, morning! Please say a prayer for her if you are up as I think she is going to have a large litter.

I will update as I can.

For those who don't know who Miss Smokey is, refer to this thread http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=141146

Kim

DJFyrewolf36
04-14-2008, 02:04 AM
Prayers on the way that all the kits and momma turn out healthy!

AbbyMom
04-14-2008, 06:57 AM
Prayers and positive thoughts on the way for Miss Smokey!

kimlovescats
04-14-2008, 07:17 AM
Well, we were up all night and still no babies! She started actively pushing at about 2:30 a.m. and I was sure we were going to get a kitten. She has gone on and off again with this since then. I am calling my vet as soon as they open at 8:00 a.m. I just knew she would have a difficult time because of how huge she got. :( She doesn't seem to be too uncomfortable, I almost think she is stopping her labor herself. She keeps wanting out of confinement but I can't let her run loose in labor! :eek: Will see what my vet says in just a bit.

Prayers appreciated!

Karen
04-14-2008, 07:25 AM
Oh, goodness! I wonder what the vet will say! I was sure we'd have an update with kittens by now! Prayers being sent!

moosmom
04-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Oh Kim, how exciting for you!!! A birth should take no longer than 10 hours MAX from beginning of labor to the delivery of the last baby. You're doing the right thing by bringing her to the vet.

You're are in my prayers. Keep us posted!!!!

kimlovescats
04-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Well, my hunches were right when I had worries about this mom. Her cervix was tight as could be even with a baby in the canal. Too little to deliver ... probably too young as well ... so she had an emergency C-section. Thank GOD that all SIX babies survived and they are doing great! Miss Smokey is resting from all the drugs now and she was SPAYED during the C-section! So... no worries there! ;) My vet said that this confirms that I SHOULD have takent this mom in or she likely would have labored and died outside somewhere. If I was ever unsure about my decision, this one has made me certain that these little moms do need labor coaches!

Thank you so much again to the ones who have donated to the pregnant mom fund because the services for today's visit with this mom today totalled $369.35.

Now, I am going to get mom and babies comfortable and I'm crashing! ZZZZZZZZZZ. :p

krazyaboutkatz
04-14-2008, 11:35 AM
How scary.:eek: I'm so glad that you were with her and that you called the vet so he could help her have her babies. I'm also glad to hear that mama and babies are doing well and I hope that they all continue to thrive.:) Please update us again when you can. I know that you now need your rest.

Catty1
04-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Have a good sleep!

Brave Mama Smokey! Eat all your food, sweetie, cause you have six hungry babies that want full tummies! Gosh, Kim - how much food and calcium is she gonna need?

And - dumb question - cats still produce milk after spaying, right?

I hope Smokey and her Labour Coach are rested and well in no time. :)

HUGS!

AbbyMom
04-14-2008, 12:26 PM
I hope Smokey and her Labour Coach are rested and well in no time. :)

Ditto! Thank you so much for taking her in and saving the lives of her and her kittens. Looking forward to pictures.

Freedom
04-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Oh Kim, bless you for helping Smokey and her 6 wee ones!

I've not heard of spaying a lactating female! Hope she can heal with 6 all trying to nurse.

Anikaca77
04-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Wow 6 Babies. Congrats.

Give Smokey a kiss for her hard work.

At least she is fixed now.

Can't wait to see pictures of those babies!

moosmom
04-14-2008, 03:31 PM
:eek: 6 babies!! :eek: Holy Moly!!

Great going mama!! Glad everything is going okay for all.

orangemm
04-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Smokey, what a good mamma you are! That sure is a lot of babies! ;) You are going to be one busy kitty for the next few weeks.

So glad you kept an eye on her and got her to the vet in time. Those are some lucky kittens.

momtomany
04-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Bless you for bring Smokey into your home. Wow, six babies. I sure she will need your help as she heals over the next few days. Again, bless you for helping this sweet baby.

catmandu
04-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Wow!
6 New Little Ones!
I know that there are Pet Angels there now with the New Momma and Babies and they are bringing them love and comfort. We are sending prayers that all is well with all the new arrivals.

kimlovescats
04-14-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm happy to report that mom and babies are bonding well! Miss Smokey is pretty exhausted and just wanting to sleeeeeeeeeeep! She is allowing her babies to nurse and they are happy as can be! :D

To answer your questions, yes, even though Smokey was spayed today she will still produce milk. The hormones from delivery kick in and the milk will come in as usual! Pretty cool, huh? :)

Ok ... now for the moment you've all been waiting for ... PICTURES!

My first look at the SIX babies in the OR.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Miss%20Smokey%20and%20babies/MissSmokeysDelivery41408005.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Miss%20Smokey%20and%20babies/MissSmokeysDelivery41408003.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Miss%20Smokey%20and%20babies/MissSmokeysDelivery41408009.jpg

MORE>>>

kimlovescats
04-14-2008, 08:30 PM
My wonderful vet, Dr. LaValley, sewing up Miss Smokey after her spay!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Miss%20Smokey%20and%20babies/MissSmokeysDelivery41408006.jpg

Waking Miss Smokey from her anesthesia:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Miss%20Smokey%20and%20babies/MissSmokeysDelivery41408011.jpg

Back home ... Mommy feeling terrible! :(

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Miss%20Smokey%20and%20babies/MissSmokeysDelivery41408013.jpg

Waiting on Mom to feel like nursing:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Miss%20Smokey%20and%20babies/MissSmokeysDelivery41408012.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Miss%20Smokey%20and%20babies/MissSmokeysDelivery41408020.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Miss%20Smokey%20and%20babies/MissSmokeysDelivery41408019.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Miss%20Smokey%20and%20babies/MissSmokeysDelivery41408017.jpg

That's how they lined themselves up! Check out the synchronized tails! :D

Stay tuned for mom nursing pics!

rg_girlca
04-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Oh gosh Kim, THANK GOD this precious girl was found in time for her to have her babies. To think what Smokey would have gone through if she was still outside to deal with this and not make it, just makes me shudder.

I am so happy to hear that she is doing well and that she is bonding well with her precious babies.

AAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW look at all the blackies and one little calico. I can't wait to see these little ones pictures once they are all dried and fluffed up.

Bless you and thank you Kim for going with your hunches. :)

Vermontcat
04-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Oh Kim! :D
You did such a wonderful thing to take in sweet Smokey so she could safely have her beautiful babies.
You are just surrounded by cuteness overload now with so many cute little kittens in the house. :)
If you'd like I can probably mail you a check next week to help out with all your expenses for sweet Smokey and her kittens.
Please keep posting photos of the little cuties as they grow.
Are any of the babies female tuxedos? ;)

kimlovescats
04-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Oh Kim! :D
You did such a wonderful thing to take in sweet Smokey so she could safely have her beautiful babies.
You are just surrounded by cuteness overload now with so many cute little kittens in the house. :)
If you'd like I can probably mail you a check next week to help out with all your expenses for sweet Smokey and her kittens.
Please keep posting photos of the little cuties as they grow.
Are any of the babies female tuxedos? ;)

Zoe that would be wonderful and so needed! THANK YOU! When I spoke to the "owner" of Miss Smokey, I was never even asked what the vet bill was. I'm guessing I'll never see any help from them. At least I KNOW that Miss Smokey is spayed though! That is what matters most!

I'm working really hard on trying to find funds to spay / neuter all of the babies before placing them but that will mean doing it younger than I'd like and / or keeping them a bit longer. Any suggestions on this subject would be greatly appreciated as well!

kimlovescats
04-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Zoe that would be wonderful and so needed! THANK YOU! When I spoke to the "owner" of Miss Smokey, I was never even asked what the vet bill was. I'm guessing I'll never see any help from them. At least I KNOW that Miss Smokey is spayed though! That is what matters most!

I'm working really hard on trying to find funds to spay / neuter all of the babies before placing them but that will mean doing it younger than I'd like and / or keeping them a bit longer. Any suggestions on this subject would be greatly appreciated as well!

Edited to add: There are .........

2 tuxedo type B&Ws - boys
One Calico - girl
One Torti w/ white - girl
One solid black - girl
One brown tiger striped - boy

Going once, going twice ..... going to PT homes???? YES? :D

Scooter's Mom
04-14-2008, 08:58 PM
I'd give almost anything to have the little striped boy... but hubby's already threatening that either the ones I have now go or he will (won't happen, but he'd lose that fight).

You did an awesome thing taking in miss Smokey.

kimlovescats
04-14-2008, 10:48 PM
I'd give almost anything to have the little striped boy... but hubby's already threatening that either the ones I have now go or he will (won't happen, but he'd lose that fight).

You did an awesome thing taking in miss Smokey.

Don't say "no" just yet ... I have only just begun to work my strategic plot of kitty charming! ;)

krazyaboutkatz
04-15-2008, 12:26 AM
The kittens sure are adorable and I'm glad that everyone is doing well.:) Please continue to keep us updated and more pictures please.:)

GILL
04-15-2008, 10:47 AM
BLESS YOU KIM. 6 at one time is one heavy load of cutness. Please keep the pic's coming. The CREW & I wish you all the health and happyness. We will also see if we can help.

kimlovescats
04-15-2008, 11:13 AM
BLESS YOU KIM. 6 at one time is one heavy load of cutness. Please keep the pic's coming. The CREW & I wish you all the health and happyness. We will also see if we can help.

Thank you, Gill! I noticed your beautiful kitties in your attachment! WOW! Would you like for me to make that picture smaller so you can use it as your siggy and not have to attach it everytime you want it to be seen? It's no problem for me! ;)

lvpets2002
04-15-2008, 11:25 AM
;) Oh yes thank Goodness Kim you brought this momma in when you did.. Congrats on 6 wittle ones being birthed & healthy.. Hope you & all are resting now..

Medusa
04-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Oh my goodness, 6 little fuzz nuggets! How lucky! The calico is adorable; I want her! (kidding) I just love calicos! How wonderful of you to take care of them all.

pitc9
04-15-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm SO happy to hear Mama Smokey is doing fine and her babies as well!
All thanks to you!

:D

lvpets2002
04-15-2008, 04:19 PM
;) ;) Oh My My Thunk Thudd.. I hope me falling on the floor didnt wake the babies & mom.. Oh they are all so so Adorable.. I would just Love the girl Tortie or Calico.. Mmm how could we get to Texas?? Well we have 6 weeks to figure this out right Kim..

cassiesmom
04-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Thunk, thud! That was me collapsing from all the cuteness! Look at those synchronised tails, even Mommy is in on it!

momtomany
04-15-2008, 07:09 PM
Oh my I don't think there are words for the six beautiful furbabies. Bless you for what you are doing.

phesina
04-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Wonderful, and such beautiful little newborn babies!

God bless you, Kim and Smokey and infants.

Hugs and purrs,
Pat and cats