PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to lie?

NicoleLJ
03-15-2007, 09:52 PM
I am ticked. And yes I know being pregnant probably makes it easier for me to get ticked. But this subject really irks me.

Is socialization so important that someone has the right to lie and impersonate a Service dog to do it? Or how about wanting to go to a hotel that does not allow pets so is lieing and impersonating a Service dog worth that? I have read people on various forums admit for this reason or that to saying their dog was a Service Dog or a Service Dog in Training so that they could bring their dog into a business. Is this ever right?

For me the answer is no. NEVER. I have a Service Dog. I know how much work it is to not only train one but keep them perfect in appearance and behaviour. It is not just a simple matter of taking your supposedly well mannered dog into a business and lieing thinking it won't affect anyone. It does. And anyone else reading that you do it will think they can too. So what if their fake Service Dog is not as well mannered as the persons dog who posted that they did it. No big deal if someone tries it because they read that someone else did and their dog goes in and barks, bites, pees, or so forth in a business after you had lied that it was a Service Dog. Oh well that that will then affect the businesses view of the next Service Dog team. So saying it doesn't affect anyone is completely and totally false.

SO do any of you truely think there is a legit reason to impersonate a Service Dog? I say no.
Nicole

Marigold2
03-15-2007, 10:40 PM
I personally believe it is not ok to lie. But then the world is not black and white, lots of gray areas. Many hotels do take animals. Everyone has to make their own decisions and live with them. That's my story and I am sticking to it.;)

Karen
03-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Absolutely not. People should never lie about that.

sparks19
03-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Lying is never OK. especially about something like that.

I remember when we were on our way home from vacation with Teddy.... the weather got really bad and they weren't letting anyone over the border because of it. We had to find a motel ... last minute... on labour day weekend. It was impossible to find a motel that accepted pets that had vacancy. We finally found this little place and my husban went in and just told him that we really needed a room for the night but said we had a dog.... he is not noisy, has short hair and doens't shed too much, and is VERY VERY tired from vacation so he will basically only sleep the entire time. The man was very understanding and appreciated our h onesty about having the dog and how he might affect the room. We told him that if need be we would pay extra for the room or any cleaning. he said that it would not be nessecary and rented us a room. If we had lied perhaps we wouldn't have gotten that room and would have been stuck in the car.

DON'T LIE. I can't stand people that lie. there are plenty of places to take their dog for socialization... they don't NEED to lie to get it done.

king2005
03-16-2007, 08:44 AM
There are time & places to lie & THAT isn't one of them!!! That lie can cause a lot of damage & or harm! Therefore its NOT ok.

I have lied to Chad a lot BUT of things that should be lied about. Hes very sensitive about the Cancer subject, as he was treated for Lung Cancer & he thinks its back (he refuses to go to the dr. still). So when he learned of my sister having cervical cancer I lied to him & said, yep shes cured! Shes not, it came back :( I haven't asked her about it in a few months so I don't know how things are with her. But I wanted to give him hope, cause my sister isn't down about it, she knew it was gonna happen sooner or later, as all females on my mothers side gets some form of woman cander down there (so far I'm spared & kinda shocked).

cassiesmom
03-16-2007, 09:55 AM
I have read people on various forums admit for this reason or that to saying their dog was a Service Dog or a Service Dog in Training so that they could bring their dog into a business. Is this ever right?

SO do any of you truly think there is a legit reason to impersonate a Service Dog? I say no.
Nicole

The position from which I want to answer this question is from knowing a service dog-in-training from church. No, it is NOT right. It's not right because is harmful to the reputation of service dogs, service dogs-in-training and organizations that work with service dogs and their people. There is a reason the puppy wears a bright blue vest. It clearly identifies him as NOT a pet. It's important to the success of these programs that the privilege of working with a service dog not be abused by people who merely want to bring their pet into an establishment. In my mind it's the same category as people who are not disabled who park in the designated parking spaces. If you are not entitled to the privilege, don't take advantage of it.

(by the way - her newest "trainee" is really, really cute - I'll try to take a picture of him when she brings him to church again)

moosmom
03-16-2007, 11:46 AM
No, lying is wrong. And lying about their animal being a serice animal is also wrong. They are only doing it for selfish reasons. Plain and simple.

CountryWolf07
03-16-2007, 02:29 PM
100% wrong.

Kalei
03-16-2007, 02:52 PM
I agree, it is wrong to lie about anything, but very wrong to lie about that situation because someone could get hurt if the dog wasnt that well-mannered, and you're right, it does make it so that next real Service Dog looks bad because the other dog was not well behaved.

Very wrong!

mike001
03-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Very wrong to lie about a SD. And let's remember that a dog that is licking tears away, hugging, kissing, is not a SD but a comfort animal. Some people can't seem to tell the difference and order a cape and put it on their dog. Fortunately in Canada we are now taking steps to rid ourselves of fakers because of the complaints from businesses and people who see this happenning. Unless you and your dog have been assessed and trained by a facility, there is no acceptance for the word SD in a lot of Canadian cities now.

NicoleLJ
03-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Unless you and your dog have been assessed and trained by a facility, there is no acceptance for the word SD in a lot of Canadian cities now.

This is totally false. Please post links to your proof of this. Service dogs that are trained by facilities, Service Dogs that are trained by trainers and Service Dogs that are trained by owners are fully accepted by all Canadian Provinces. All they need to be accepted is a Doctors note. Well as accepted as any SD can be in Canada. Only Guide Dogs are fully protected as we all know. God I am sooooo sick of correcting your false posts.
Nicole

Lady's Human
03-18-2007, 09:47 PM
And the last thought through the mind of the bowl of petunias was " Oh no, not again"

NicoleLJ
03-18-2007, 09:49 PM
And the last thought through the mind of the bowl of petunias was " Oh no, not again"

You can say that agian.
Nicole

wolfsoul
03-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Very wrong to lie about a SD. And let's remember that a dog that is licking tears away, hugging, kissing, is not a SD but a comfort animal. Some people can't seem to tell the difference and order a cape and put it on their dog. Fortunately in Canada we are now taking steps to rid ourselves of fakers because of the complaints from businesses and people who see this happenning. Unless you and your dog have been assessed and trained by a facility, there is no acceptance for the word SD in a lot of Canadian cities now.
I greatly dislike the idea that there could be any prejiduce over owner-trained dogs. There are no training facilities in my area and I could never afford a facility-trained dog. Not only that but I have limited space. I will eventually keep a four dog limit and already one of them is a pet and one is to be retired after her next litter. Having a breeding program and a service dog is hard unless your service dog is part of your breeding program.

I think that by saying a service dog is not one that licks tears away and gives hugs and kisses and such is very misleading. There is no reason a service dog can not be relied on for comfort. My dog's presence alone is a comfort for me on a bad day. For those of us with mental conditions, sometimes all a service dog can provide is comfort. Luckily most of us have dogs skilled enough to tell us when there is a problem or to lead us home when things get bad, but not everyone is that lucky, and when you are sitting in a bathroom stall having the worst panic attack of your life you will want your biggest comfort to be there. Having been through it all, I can tell you that psychological disorders are not fun and as long as you are doing something to make yourself feel better, and it is not a harm to anyone else, than I don't see the problem with having a "comfort" dog.

mike001
03-19-2007, 07:42 AM
This is totally false. Please post links to your proof of this. Service dogs that are trained by facilities, Service Dogs that are trained by trainers and Service Dogs that are trained by owners are fully accepted by all Canadian Provinces. All they need to be accepted is a Doctors note. Well as accepted as any SD can be in Canada. Only Guide Dogs are fully protected as we all know. God I am sooooo sick of correcting your false posts.
Nicole

Please refrain from posing as the correction officer for my posts. You would do well to examine your motives for doing so and do a bit of research on your own postings.
I have yet to see that you have been appointed the post police, so stop hiding your lies behind corrections of my posts.
I won't give you the info since this is what you need to protect yourself and I can see through it.
You have no clue what a service dog is except from studying the ada stuff until you were blue in the face.
Sorry, but not only Guide dogs are protected around here if we have proof of assessment and trained dogs to mitigate tasks.

mike001
03-19-2007, 07:52 AM
WOOLFSOUL--I don't make the laws , I just obey them. I know your feelings of frustration about comfort dogs not being recognized but for now, that' s the way it is.
A true service dog must be able to prove that it can do mitigating tasks for the person using it.
A dog that brings comfort, licks tears, brings love is not acknowledged as a SD by the department of Justice which enforces ADA. These are essentially known as Emotional Support dogs and are not granted access priviledges, not to say that you cannot use your dog in your home or outside if you want. Unfortunately, people don't always understand the difference and put a cape on the dog and call it a service dog. This is what is interfering with access rights.
If you do need a SD the cost is not prohibitive as you will be covered for the cost of the training and receive the dog for whatever you can donate by many organizations. We have in our town a young girl with cerebral palsy who just received a dog from an organization free of charge. So the excuse of cost is not a worry to you if you need a dog. BUT, you do need to be assessed and found to be in that need.

NicoleLJ
03-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Please refrain from posing as the correction officer for my posts. You would do well to examine your motives for doing so and do a bit of research on your own postings.
I have yet to see that you have been appointed the post police, so stop hiding your lies behind corrections of my posts.
I won't give you the info since this is what you need to protect yourself and I can see through it.You have no clue what a service dog is except from studying the ada stuff until you were blue in the face.
Sorry, but not only Guide dogs are protected around here if we have proof of assessment and trained dogs to mitigate tasks.

You are laughable. And as long as you keep posting crap like this and not backing it up with proof(because there is none) you will be seen as such and I will keep policing your posts as you call it.

Why should I have to protect myself? hmmmmmm. Does this mean you are admitting finnally to your stalking and harassing me? LOL I have no need to protect myself from anyone but your stalking because I am doing nothing illegal. You may wish it. Just like you Wished there were no PSD training facilities in Canada and I proved otherwise. You may WISH the laws were different in Canada where only facility trained dogs were accepted but agian I proved otherwise with legal documents. You may WISH that PSD's were not starting to be recognized like all other Service Dogs but the first one has finally be certified(Even though Service Dogs do not need to be). You may wish all Service Dogs handlers needed to show Certifaction instead of just a Doctor or nurses note(which I provided government document to prove this) You may WISH that their were an agency to police Service Dog handlers but agian I verified it is not true. You may WISH a lot of things but unfortunately for you none of it is true. So sorry but all you have done is agian make yourself look like a fool.

Very interesing about your comment about protecting myself. That really revealed a lot.
Nicole

NicoleLJ
03-19-2007, 09:44 AM
WOOLFSOUL--I don't make the laws , I just obey them. I know your feelings of frustration about comfort dogs not being recognized but for now, that' s the way it is.
A true service dog must be able to prove that it can do mitigating tasks for the person using it.
A dog that brings comfort, licks tears, brings love is not acknowledged as a SD by the department of Justice which enforces ADA. These are essentially known as Emotional Support dogs and are not granted access priviledges, not to say that you cannot use your dog in your home or outside if you want. Unfortunately, people don't always understand the difference and put a cape on the dog and call it a service dog. This is what is interfering with access rights.
If you do need a SD the cost is not prohibitive as you will be covered for the cost of the training and receive the dog for whatever you can donate by many organizations. We have in our town a young girl with cerebral palsy who just received a dog from an organization free of charge. So the excuse of cost is not a worry to you if you need a dog. BUT, you do need to be assessed and found to be in that need.

Witht he things you keep posting it is very obvious that in your mind you do make the laws. I am soooo glad I live in Canada and not this weird world you keep posting about. PSD's do provide physical tasks that mitigate a persons disability and it is not just licking th eTears away as you say. Here are just a few of a long list of tasks these dogs do: Wake-up handler, Remind to take medication, Help to find keys or telephone, Assist with daily routines in the home, Alert to incipient manic episode, Lead handler to a safe place, Brace or lean against the handler. Those are just a few of the many listed. The cuddle and kiss and so forth are very important but are not usually the trained public tasks to allow for public access. Those are just some of the tasks used to help center and ground a person or to help refocus. All of these tasks plus many many others make it so a PSD is a Service Dog and not an Emotional Support Dog. PLease get it right.

As for getting a dog from a facility, THANK GOD we live in a free country where we have a right to get one from a facility, use a trainer or train one ourselves if we have the knowledge. I know I was not wanting to wait the 5yrs and raise 8,000 in donations to get a facility trained dog. Not when I have the help of a trainer and the knowledge of dog training that I have to do it myself.
Nicole