PDA

View Full Version : fear aggression

ashleycat
02-05-2007, 02:44 PM
What would you do if you have a 2 yr old in the home?

when I put my hands on runner a way that she might think I might pick her up, she yelps, pees and tries to nip. She sounds terrified.

The other day I took her over to my neighbors.And when it was time to leave, she wouldn't come. I grabbed her colar and she would not budge she liked it so much. But she would yelp and pee too. Once I got her going, I let her go to go in. But she ran right back out to the neighbors lol. I'm telling you she liked it over there. I ended up having to pick her up to carry her home. Sounding like I was beating her.

Will she always be this way? Sometimes it seems likes it's getting worse. What if someone pushes the wrong button and she bites for real?

Should she go to an adult home w/ no kids. Or do you think we can nip this in the bud?

I also emailed the psychic Nancy, she says she will read her in 2 weeks. I'm trying to google what to do. I'm not finding much on this. But I am finding that other aggressive behavior is fixable.

Kfamr
02-05-2007, 02:50 PM
If you can't find anything to help her, I would call a professional behaviorist.

Kiara has fear 'aggression' so to speak, she barks ferociously when she is scared. But, she's never nipped. If she did, I would totally call a behaviorist.

borzoimom
02-05-2007, 02:51 PM
TOTALLY.. I am sorry but a case like that can not be solved on the internet- even this one..

mike001
02-05-2007, 02:55 PM
I would forego the Nancy thing. I agree that a behaviourist would be in the cards. This can be totally controlled and fixed, but it takes patience,very tiny steps and gradual buildup. rushing things will only make it worse. :)

ashleycat
02-05-2007, 03:00 PM
How much would it cost?

Kfamr
02-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Depends on the actual behaviorist. Search for them in your area.

ashleycat
02-05-2007, 03:05 PM
wed at 10. free consult

borzoimom
02-05-2007, 03:06 PM
In this area, there is a behaviorist that works with the humane society. The reason is to keep the dog in the home. Contact your local humane society for suggestions

applesmom
02-05-2007, 03:14 PM
For an Immediate solution while seeking a more permanent one, let the dog wear a leash whenever she is supervised. By doing this you'll always be able to gain control without having to pick her up.

The more you chase after her and pick her up the worse she's going to get. You're reinforcing unacceptable behavior.

Not quite sure of the two year old comment. Is the dog two or is there a two year old child in the home? :confused:

luvofallhorses
02-05-2007, 03:20 PM
You need to take her to the behaviorist. perhaps she was abused and needs her space? because if you give her to someone else, they will probably have the same problems with her. just try to work with her the best you can.

borzoimom
02-05-2007, 03:30 PM
wed at 10. free consult
good..

Daisy and Delilah
02-05-2007, 08:59 PM
I hope you can find out what's bothering her. It sure seems like she's been doing this for awhile. I hope she's not in pain or hurting in any way. Maybe arthritis or something? Good luck in finding out what's wrong. :)

*LabLoverKEB*
02-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Good for you on calling a behavorist. Hope everything goes well, and works out for you & Runner.

I'm not sure if Rita is fear agressive or not, but she is VERY agressive with other dogs, not including Sadie. Rita must not relize that Sadie is a dog, too. I would love to have the Dog Whisperer rehabilitate her. He seems to know his stuff.

areias
02-05-2007, 10:46 PM
Start on your NILIF training too...believe me, it helps. I would also try not to do anything to encourage any kind of nipping as far as you can help it until the behaviorist can give you some help.

Here's a link to the NILIF. It's easier than you think.
http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

ashleycat
02-07-2007, 06:40 PM
They want $700 for 2 week in boarding session. She says she has been abused :( They want half if I take her in, then pay what I can after.

Will nilf fix this? I know it worked for Charlie, but how will it not make her scared. I know the lady said she needs socialization socialization socialization.

Guess we'll be going to the park a lot more.

tikeyas_mom
02-07-2007, 06:49 PM
how old is she? what breed is she? Have you had her long? Do you know who her past owners were? I hope that this can be fixed

ashleycat
02-07-2007, 07:38 PM
4 yrs. Aussie mix. I've had her will be a year Aug I believe. Last 2 owners returned her because...

One she didn't jog with her (stupid reason)
two.. the lady got sick

So I have her. She's a really good cuddler.

But if I tried to pick her up, she will be scared of me for a few days. She will let me near and pet, but when I walk to her she gets low.

borzoimom
02-08-2007, 07:32 AM
The problem here is that you do not know why she is afraid of being picked up- could be that was dropped and afraid of heights, that she was picked up and beaten, or shoved forceably in a cage etc. Once she gains your trust, picking her up will be easier- but every time you try, you are setting her back to ground zero!
I have mentioned my Affenpincher rescue several times ( Crikket). She and her sister 'crispy' were living in an abandand house that caught on fire-- they rescued both dogs- but had to be carried down a ladder. Of course- she also got burned. She associated being picked up with be terrified and hurt for MONTHS!! I just never picked her up- EVER- IF THAT MEANT as said by applesmom- she had to wear a thin leash to drag around- and when I needed her- I would slowly, calmly take the lead, and get down on the floor and call her with treats in hand. It took weeks for her to easily come on the leash without forcing her. It takes time and patience. One day I went to get the lead, and she came right to me before I even touched the lead.. ( I WAS DOING THE CONGO INSIDE... LOL).. I didnt pick her up- keeping the behavior of coming with me at the level she could cope mentally. One day she jumped up in my lap when I was on the couch reading.. Had to get up and went to move her over, instead I realized her body was relaxed- so I gently stood up, talking very low, and just held her. We walked into the kitchen and got a treat- then I walked back to the couch, sat back down, and slowly, gently released my arms so she could leave if she wanted to -she stayed in my arms..
As far as " she gets low" when I walk her- do not make eye contact with her directly, take slow breaths- gentle sighs like, and just wherever you go is slow and casual. Go the same route every single time- same path- walk along- you just glance around- .. This glancing to a dog is a " I accept you, and ignoring you as you are doing what I want..". I had the same problem with femka- she would act nervous on the leash to go potty, and would not go. I used this method- and she got the point within a matter of days- however I had to keep up this behavior for about a month so she would go..
I would not send her somewhere for any length of time. Have the woman work with you what to do - but remember- the poor dog has already had at least 4 homes by now- the one the dog was born in, the one that gave her up, and the two returns- and now YOU MAKE 5 HOMES! No wonder her trust is rocky now.. Keep her home with help, but remember- she really needs to feel like she can trust you and wont do this scary picking up which means God only knows what to her..
Working with a shy rescue takes time.. Stability in the same home gives the key.. This socialize, socialize socialize to me sounds like 'flooding' and I have seen that method back fire more than help. Take this step by step- first get her to understand by the methods I said above- that taking the lead doesnt mean she is going to get "picked by the dragon lady", then in walking the glancing away = calm sighs, gentle talk, and the same pattern of where you go.. EVERY TIME- SAME PATTERN of where she goes. After she is comfortable with this- then we can expand her horizon. Right now- work on the problems..

ashleycat
02-08-2007, 01:03 PM
your story made me tear up.

She does fine on leash. She gets excited when I get it.But when it wasn't on, and I had to grab her colar, that's when she got scared.

I know that having her there for 2 weeks might make her think I am leaving her. I don't want to do that.

She still lets me cuddle her. She leans hard. But I have to move slow.

I can't wait till Nancy returns my email. I've already sent her a pic. She said I've got a few before me lol. I really want to know what happend to her.

borzoimom
02-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Just try what I suggested- you have nothing to loose and maybe everything to gain... Get a real light lead just do not leave her alone with it on..

borzoimom
02-08-2007, 01:07 PM
your story made me tear up.

She does fine on leash. She gets excited when I get it.But when it wasn't on, and I had to grab her colar, that's when she got scared.

I know that having her there for 2 weeks might make her think I am leaving her. I don't want to do that.

She still lets me cuddle her. She leans hard. But I have to move slow.

I can't wait till Nancy returns my email. I've already sent her a pic. She said I've got a few before me lol. I really want to know what happend to her.
See she could have been hung by the collar- you do not know but try it..

ashleycat
02-08-2007, 01:22 PM
didn't think about that one.. Tho when I pulled the colar she just sat there and wouldn't move. The part that made her yelp was me putting my hand on her when she knew she did something I didn't like.

For some reason she really likes my neighbor friends house. She kept going there that one day and refused to come home. She went right up to their door.

I wonder if it would help to bring her there more often? The do like her. Although they will be moving in June:(

borzoimom
02-08-2007, 01:27 PM
didn't think about that one.. Tho when I pulled the colar she just sat there and wouldn't move. The part that made her yelp was me putting my hand on her when she knew she did something I didn't like.

For some reason she really likes my neighbor friends house. She kept going there that one day and refused to come home. She went right up to their door.

I wonder if it would help to bring her there more often? The do like her. Although they will be moving in June:(
No- the reason she probably feels or acts better there- she is not THEIR dog so they are probably more casual with her- like I said about the ignore glancing and sighs..