PDA

View Full Version : Genetic tests for dogs soon available

borzoimom
01-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Check this out- looks interesting. http://www.nbc4.com/news/10878620/detail.html

BitsyNaceyDog
01-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Just before Christmas my friend and I were talking about this. We didn't know it was going to actually be available, but she thought that it would be someday.

I personally don't care what breeds my dogs have in them, I love them regardless. I can see the benefit though. If a person plans to adopt a young mixed puppy and they want to have a better estimate of what size the dog will be. They would be able to better estimate what kind of activity level the dog will have too.

borzoimom
01-30-2007, 05:13 PM
We are hoping this test will put the puppy mills out of business- its alot easier to get this test to prove the dog isnt a pure bred dog- than through the akc where you need to know who is bred to whom..

BC_MoM
01-30-2007, 05:48 PM
I, personally, don't believe this is possible.

borzoimom
01-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Its coming out.. We are looking forward to it..

applesmom
01-30-2007, 06:24 PM
DNA tests can only prove parentage if the parents DNA is already in the data base.

Puppy mills aren't likely to register the DNA of their dogs.

Somehow I don't see a huge market among owners of mutts since they could be products of generations of mixes.

What could verification that a dog is a poopekechimaltlabjacdoodle mix accomplish? :D

borzoimom
01-30-2007, 06:25 PM
This isnt a dna panel- just a genetics panel ( like a border collie/ aussie verses a border collie) - at least its proof their puppy is not a pure bred dog..

elizabethann
01-31-2007, 10:45 AM
I would love to know what Fenway is out of pure curiosity. I think he has a ton of Border Terrier in him and would love to get a test to prove it. If there is a test, I hope it's cheap. I wonder if they're looking for test subjects? I'd do it if it didn't hurt him (like if they took a q-tip and wiped the inside of his mouth with it like they do on the Maurey Povich Show). :D

borzoimom
01-31-2007, 11:04 AM
I would love to know what Fenway is out of pure curiosity. I think he has a ton of Border Terrier in him and would love to get a test to prove it. If there is a test, I hope it's cheap. I wonder if they're looking for test subjects? I'd do it if it didn't hurt him (like if they took a q-tip and wiped the inside of his mouth with it like they do on the Maurey Povich Show). :D
I do not think it would bother them either- .. How many times does someone get a unknown large puppy- no clue what breeds are in there. Alot of large breeds need different diets as babies to prevent rickets etc- prime example is the Dane.