PDA

View Full Version : Is Bleach a Pet Hazard?

Kat Kommando
06-06-2002, 12:28 PM
At some boards, some well-intentioned people have posted the hazards of bleach to pets. They claim that the critters can get toxins from cleaned bowls and the floor. It is false. To read about this urban legend, see http://www.snopes2.com/toxins/clorox.htm

AmberLee
06-06-2002, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the info.

sammi
06-06-2002, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the information. I have always used bleach in the water to clean pet dishes ect. What else would you use thats ready available? Can't think of anything.

mruffruff
06-06-2002, 01:52 PM
Bleach isn't a hazard as long as it's rinsed well.

At the shelter, they were using bleach in a too-strong solution on the floors and not rinsing well. Several of the dogs developed hair loss and mild burns on their hips and legs from laying on the floors. Now they use a lot less bleach in the cleaning solution.

Heloise did a test a few years ago that proved that vinegar killed as many bacteria as bleach. I used vinegar to clean the carpet after puppy accidents and it seemed to work well.

Mary

Kat Kommando
06-06-2002, 01:59 PM
The sad thing about this urban myth is pets could become ill or even die by people avoiding bleach. By far, the vet expenses are the rescues' biggest bill. Cage cleaning is critical to prevent an outbreak of disease.

I wish the people who start such myths could be fined or jailed :mad:

Former User
06-06-2002, 02:05 PM
We have never ever used bleach and won't use it.

Heather Wallace
06-06-2002, 03:14 PM
I use a pet discinfectant to clean my pet food bowls. I can also use this cleaner as a hutch spray to that was the main reason I bought it but when I read the back of it I noticed I could use it ofr bowls too.

I personally don't use bleach in the bowls but we do use it on the floors.

sammi
06-06-2002, 03:59 PM
I believe that most dishwash soaps that are used in dishwashers contain a form of bleach.
Vineger is really great to take out stains and smells but, dosen't discinfectant.

Edwina's Secretary
06-06-2002, 04:07 PM
Yikes! I am feeling like the most abysmal housekeeper. Everyone is bleaching -- floors, cutting boards, dishes, et al. The only thing I bleach is "the whites" and not very often at that.

Last night Edwina was up on the table, drank water out of my husband's glass and nibbled on my turkey burger.

I'm afraid I'm beyond reform.....

Randi
06-06-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
I'm afraid I'm beyond reform.....

LOL! Good for you!! :D ..... and your cats!

Former User
06-06-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
Yikes! I am feeling like the most abysmal housekeeper. Everyone is bleaching --

Relax, you are not the only one, LOL! I'm not into it either! I don't even bleach the whites :eek:

gini
06-06-2002, 06:00 PM
[i]Last night Edwina was up on the table, drank water out of my husband's glass and nibbled on my turkey burger.

I'm afraid I'm beyond reform..... [/B]

Oh, you horrible, horrible person. I never let Rascal drink out of my glass, or nibble my turkey burger.:p :p HOWEVER, I do let him help me eat ice cream and recently discovered he loves Raisin Bran flakes out of my cereal bowl. :) :)

As for bleach, I am not sure why this became a topic........if you aren't comfortable using it - then don't - and many people don't.

Sugar (R/B) lived to be over 18 - and all of his dishes were washed by hand with dish detergent.

krazyaboutkatz
06-07-2002, 01:03 AM
I don't use bleach either. I use antbacterial soap or dish detergent to clean my babies bowls.

Sara luvs her Tinky
06-07-2002, 01:09 AM
originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
Last night Edwina was up on the table, drank water out of my husband's glass and nibbled on my turkey burger.

LOL :) LOL :eek: LOL:D LOL

OHHHH THE PICTURE IN MY HEAD IS SOOOO HILARIOUS.... I can see you two sitting back saying HELP YOURSELF DEAR EDWINA as she walks around the table sipping and nibbling........ LOL LOL LOL