PDA

View Full Version : Computer people - emails are losing attachments

Catty1
09-25-2006, 11:12 PM
Hi - a friend of mine, who is ill, has been trying to send an Excel spreadsheet to the office.

The email never shows up.

She sent it to a friend - no attachment there either.

She can receive emails with attachments, but can't send them!

This happens with Yahoo, Outlook, Hotmail - and she is running Windows XP Home Edition.

Might the browser need upgrading? Any ideas???

Thanks!

Jessika
09-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Does she have a virus scanner that scans outgoing attachments and maybe that is stopping it?

Karen
09-25-2006, 11:31 PM
She needs to check the setting in her own email program. As mentioned, she should also check that she doesn't have a firewall set up to disallow attachments from going out.

Catty1
09-25-2006, 11:40 PM
Karen - she has tried this in 3 different email programs...what setting would I need to check?

Thanks to everyone who answered so far! She has an anti-virus program, but I don't think she has actually run a scan...

I will be there tomorrow, so will check these things out. :)

Jessika
09-25-2006, 11:45 PM
To my knowledge, some companies like yahoo and hotmail have their own virus scanner it runs before receiving and sending messages with attachments so maybe it is the programs itself?

Has she tried sending any other type of file or only the spreadsheet? Can she try sending an email with a small image or a different file type just to narrow down teh problem?

Is she using an email PROGRAM or the clients through the website??

And if it is through the website, I am assuming she is using internet explorer.. make sure she is using the most current version of her browser.

All else fails, try in a different browser?

Or.. another idea... does the problem only happen on her computer? Can she log in to her email accounts on someone else's computer and send attachments without a problem?

signorelli21
09-26-2006, 04:11 AM
um, hrm. does this only happen when sending an excel spreadsheet?

if so have her try this.

in excel, go to tools/options, click on the general tab. then select the button that says ignore other applications.

sometimes if your using word as your email editor it has conflicts with excel, let me know if that doesn;t work.

AbbyMom
09-26-2006, 06:22 AM
Hi

I once had this problem when the recipient's e-mail was automatically screening it out for some bizaare reason.

The solution: I made a PDF and sent it. Your friend can find freeware that will create the PDF for her.

Good luck.

moosmom
09-26-2006, 08:08 AM
Catty1,

It's funny you should post this, because I had just sent Suzie an email where she works the other day, because I was looking for addresses for our 35th High School reunion coming up this November :eek: She never got it. I have yahoo. She is a special education teacher so I thought maybe the firewall at school blocked it. She said no, that she always gets a listing of blocked emails and I wasn't on it.

signorelli21
09-28-2006, 05:29 AM
if its just an issue with the firewall all you have to do is hange the file extention and note in your email that they will need to change it back.

like here at my work you cannot recieve or send an attachment with an executable or a few other types of files.

to get around this change it from spreadsheet.xls to spreadsheet.xxx or something, then have them change it back to .xls when they recieve it.