PDA

View Full Version : 15 year old girls!

anna_66
05-22-2002, 07:46 AM
Ok, this has nothing to do with animals at all, but I really need a little advice.
My great niece is going to be coming to live with us, she is almost 15 (next month), and has been running with the wrong crowd at home (N.C.)(to make a long story short, she's gotten herself into a little trouble:rolleyes:)) and both she and her parents want her to come stay with me & Mark and for her to go to school down her, & if everything goes well, even graduate!
Well, needless to say after 16 years of marriage we have no children, and she's come and stayed a few weeks in the summer, once about a month, and everything has been just fine but that's the extent of it. Her mom said she seems really excited about coming, and can't wait. She will be her the 9th of next month!
Now, Mark said don't overwhelm her, which I think is wonderful advice! At first all I could think of is "what if" this and "what if" that! I know how girls of that age think (I was there once myself!)
I just honestly don't know what 15 yr old girls like to do! Now, she lived about 30 minutes from us before, so she does have maby a handful of friends she could see, a grandmother & great grandmother, so that's a little help.
But what I guess I'm asking is if you have any little tidbits of advice here or there, because in the long run, I feel I will need it!
We just want to help her get on the right track with her life, and feel we have extra love to share with her. I just want the best for her, know what I mean? She is my godchild and great niece after all, so how could I possibly say no to the whole thing. Oh, and Mark, he was all for it too! But again, it's going to be so strange after 16 years of just us! I'll take any advice anyone has!!!! Thanks in advance! ~Anna~

Logan
05-22-2002, 07:55 AM
What a wonderful gesture, Anna, for you and Mark to make. It will be different, for sure, but what an opportunity to get her on the right track. Mine isn't 15 yet, but she thinks she is! LOL!!

I think setting boundaries early on, and then being consistent is the best thing. You can be her "friend", but you are the one in charge, and she needs to understand that from the beginning. Then just love, love, love her. And make sure she has her "space". 15 year old girls can be quite moody! Those hormones are raging at that age! My niece is 17, and a joy to be around "most of the time" :rolleyes:, but she can be a bit moody at time, and usually just needs some time to herself. Perhaps you can allow her to do some special things with the room she will be staying in to make it unique to her. That will be a good start!

Something tells me that you will be just fine, although we might not see you here quite as much!

I do hope that this transition will go smoothly for all of you. :)

Gio
05-22-2002, 07:55 AM
Sorry Anna,

I wish I had some advice for you. The only experience I have with 15 year old girls is the very faint memories of when I was that age myself :D .

The good thing is that your niece is not forced into coming to live with you and Mark and that she's excited about it so that's a good start. Nothing worse than forcing 15 year olds in doing what they don't want to do. I'm sure some of the others will come up with some good tips. Good luck!

Ann
05-22-2002, 08:00 AM
Wow, that is going to be different for you guys! I don't have any experience of kids myself, but it wasn't long ago at all since I was 15. I wasn't really one of the "normal" 15 year olds though, so I can't give you any advice that'll help :(

I just wish you good luck with it all! I'm sure you'll do just fine :)

anna_66
05-22-2002, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Logan
And make sure she has her "space". 15 year old girls can be quite moody!
Perhaps you can allow her to do some special things with the room she will be staying in to make it unique to her. That will be a good start!

You know Logan the space thing...I said the very same thing to Mark! And she is definately one girl who needs her space. She has a 7 yr old sister and a 14 yr old brother, so maby this is just what she needs, to be the only child.
And the room thing, I know I've stayed with relatives and it never really seems like the room is "YOURS" because all their stuff is in there. And I keep my clothes in that room, so I'm going to put them all in the other spare bedroom and get another chest to put my clothes in.
I've really tried to think of everything like that! Thanks for your reassurancehttp://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/otn/realhappy/shiny.gif, and I'm sure I'll still visit everyone her but, like you said not as much! Just seems kinda weird like we're going to be instant parents!

gini
05-22-2002, 08:50 AM
First of all, allow me to tell you what a wonderful thing you are doing for your niece.

Logan, in her infinite wisdom as Mother of Many has really said it all. Bounderies are critical - and then stick to it! She needs consistancy. 15 - how many of us can recall all that was going on in our heads when we were 15?

Mutual respect comes to mind - and that will take some time and adjustment. Will you be giving her some things to do around the house that are her responsibility?

And last, but not least - LOVE!

Try to keep a sense of humor reserved for yourself!

My hat is off to you - what a super Aunt you must be!

sasvermont
05-22-2002, 08:52 AM
I suppose, since I don't have children, I should not reply. Here goes anyway.

#1 Communication
#2 Respect (or maybe the other way around)
#3 Education (including expectations)
#4 Fun (including rules and regulations/standards that are kept)

Keep us posted.

SAS

You may be saving a life! It is very nice of you to do such a thing. She will remember it forever.

:cool:

Edwina's Secretary
05-22-2002, 09:26 AM
Anna - I can relate. My husband and I married four years ago -- I was "of an age" and had lived alone for over 20 years. An adjustment. Then his 19 year old son gets into a bit of a sticky wicket and we insist he live with us. As you say -- instant mother. There is a BIG difference between weekend visits and living there.

People have given you great advice -- set limits, establish rules and responsibilities, give her space yet not TOO much spare time.

Here's some of the things I learned...you will be watched ("I saw you leave your dishes on the counter.") You will need to be very conscious -- especially at first -- that you are modeling the behavior you expect. Sometimes there will be lashing out at you -- "I hate this place, I hate you" understand it has nothing to do with you in reality. It's about change, growing up, etc. AND... make sure YOU have space. It was very hard for me to adjust too. I only had to worry about me for so long it was difficult to feel such responsibility for someone else's happiness. (I said "feel." I know no one is responsible for anyone else's happiness but a teenager can cause you to question that!)

My stepson moved out in January and will start school full time in September. I am very proud of him and feel living with us was a little bit of the reason he turned around.

My niece will be moving into his vacant spot in June :rolleyes: (She is in her last year of college here....) Here we go again.....

anna_66
05-22-2002, 09:41 AM
Gini~Yes, she will be having responsibilities, but I'm not really sure about that. I do want her to keep her room clean, clean up any messes she make & things like that, but I'm not sure what else, any advice on that?

sas~I'm glad you replied, even if you don't have children, cause I don't either (well, not yet anyway!)

Edwina's~Thanks for the good advice, knowing someone else went through a similiar thing helps me feel better. And good luck to you again!

To tell you all the truth, I'm really scared:eek: mabe that sounds stupid, but I can't help it! I know it will either work or not, but I don't want to ruin the relationship I have with her now.

If anyone want to add at any time I would be thankful for the pointers!

Dixieland Dancer
05-22-2002, 09:46 AM
Logan has said it very nicely! Setting boundaries and consistently following up are key. Kids act like they don't want boundaries but deep down they really do. It shows them that you care for them and love them enough to worry about them. A lot of times when my son breaks a rule and I feel sorry for him, I have to realize he will not learn if I back off. He needs to pay the consequences for his actions, Good or Bad! I try to reward his good behavior without going too overboard. And the one thing I've learned is if you say you are going to do it, DO IT!!!

At the beginning of every school year we sit down and discuss expectations and required behavior. Every year we give him a little more freedom and try to prepare him for how to handle things when we are not around. If he doesn't follow the rules that we establish together, then he has privledges taken away.

One last thought: Try and keep her busy in things that are wholesome. There is so much lurking out there and trying to hurt our kids. They need to know there is good too! I have my son enrolled in several Boy Scout and Christian camp activities over the summer. I want him to form friendships with the right crowd so I have to influence his desire to do that. He is involved in our church youth group and does many things with them. They even go on church retreats about ever two or three months for the weekend. I have his friends over to our house a lot so we can meet them and get to know them. We spring for pizza occassionally and always have snacks and drinks available. I think the kids like coming over to our house because we try to make them feel welcome. Then we have an opportunity to share with them also. One kid especially likes to come over since his parents are hardly ever home and he is left to his own devices quite a bit. I don't agree with that and have kind of secretly adopted him as my own.

You have a very loving heart and I'm sure your neice will love you and Mark for helping her out of this tough time in life. Give her responsibility for the dogs too! Develope a sense of responsibility towards animals and perhaps she will be a future Pet Talker or animal rescuer!

Best Wishes and keep us posted.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-22-2002, 10:43 AM
There's not much I can add, seeing as I don't have any kids of my own either, but I few things I noticed that *I* thought should be added.

Yes, set boundaries, and curfews, and stick to them. And to add to this, you and Mark need to be consistent between the two of you on when and how you discipline, and mostly on everything. It just doesn't work as well if she knows she can go to the other one and get away with something, and this will only cause resentment between you and Mark which you surely don't want either. Also, to go along with this, like Sara mentioned, there will be times when she "hates you" and "hates living here," etc. You need to make it clear right from the beginning that going back home is not an option and that between the 2 of you, actually 3 of you, you are going to work this out. Going home would be the easy way out and she needs to know that you're trying to make a better life for her and it's not necessarily going to be easy.

I would let her know that you respect and trust her However, if she makes mistakes, she needs to pay the consequences and one of those is that your trust will slowly be eroded, along with her privleges. So it's not that she needs to prove herself to you, but she has to show that she is willing to help in turning her life around.

The hard part might be finding something wholesome for her to enjoy like Dixieland Dancer says. The wholesome part shouldn't be too hard, but finding something a 15 year old girl likes to do might be the hard part. ;) Do you and your husband have a hobby or something you enjoy that she could become involved in? I know you're into pets (that's why you're here asking for advice ;) ) so maybe volunteering at a pet shelter or something like that would be of interest to her. I guess what I'm trying to say is she needs something to keep her busy - sports, volunteering, hobby, whatever - because it's when kids don't have anything better to do that they get in trouble - trust me, I know about this one. :rolleyes:

Other than that, I think everyone has given excellent advice. It's completely ok for you to be scared - I think all parents are, it's just that you're starting out at 15 instead of a baby so everything is just a little different. Good luck, but you're a loving, caring person and I know you'll do good. :)

gini
05-22-2002, 11:12 AM
Dixieland Dancer has hit on a point that I think is very important.
The idea of allowing her to have her friends over to your home (her home) I think is excellent. It will reinforce that it "is her home" and you can keep an eye on who she is hanging out with.

Scared? Good grief, I would be too! You are taking on a huge responsibility.

But looking at this in a positive light - you have an opportunity to be such a good role model for her and her friends. Girls at this age are into clothes, makeup, music and BOYS! You might find yourself in the middle of a gab session with the girls or just your niece. It sounds as though she just might spill her guts out to you - so be prepared!

Just follow your heart and your instincts and you will be fine. Take it a day at a time.

Find out what her "passion" is - and if within reason perhaps it can be developed.

I wish you the best of luck!

Heather Wallace
05-22-2002, 11:15 AM
All I can say is that you are both brave people. You are taking on a big responsibility indeed!

I guess you whole life will change to an extent.

since I am only 27 yrs old I don't really have much to say on the subject but I wish you both goodluck and I hope it all works out for you.:)

zippy-kat
05-22-2002, 11:51 AM
I'm sorta around that age so rather than trying to "parent," I'll give ya some ideas on activities...

Does your neice like animals?

When I was about that age, Mom and I volunteered/became members of the humane society and I LOVED IT!!! (I even got to vote at some of the meetings...talk about feelin' like a hot shot! lol)

Shopping (window or otherwise) would've been a close second.
;)

If your neice does like animals, how about chores that relate to your pups?

Edwina's Secretary
05-22-2002, 12:27 PM
You know Zippy, you bring up a great idea -- things to do together. My niece, who is in art school, has decided she really wants to be a canine cop (good use of the education! oh well.) So when I was teasing her and asked if she would want to go to my exercise class with me she got all excited. (Included me paying for it.) Wants to get in shape for the state trooper physical!

I am going to mention to her about volunteering at a shelter. Would probably be good on her application if she really pursues the canine cop route.

Albea
05-22-2002, 12:32 PM
Logan, Candy, and some of the other Pettalkers have given you great advice. I haven't personal experience with kids of that age but, because of something terrible that happened to a 13 year-old girl in Connecticut this week, I would like to add this: Keep an eye on her when she is in the Internet or talk to her about the dangers of communicating with sleazy or dangerous people in chat rooms. I know this will be difficult without encroaching in her "space." However, if you can prevent a tragedy, it will be worth it. Sorry to bring up this subject, I was very shaken by the story of this girl and thought it was appropriate to tell you about it.
Tonya had the right idea about having your niece do something with or for animals. As a friend of mine says: give a girl a horse and you'll never have to worry about her being in bad company.
Good luck!!!

anna_66
05-22-2002, 06:08 PM
Albea, yes, this we've talked about also (computers). I know that we can block all or most of the sleezy stuff. If there is anything anyone can tell me about this I would appreciate it.
I know she loves our dogs, that might be an option, working somehow with dogs, I'm just not sure how we would get into it. Again, if anyone know how, let me know! And yes, that is one of my biggest fears, that she will get bored. I remember how it was to be that age & you think there is nothing to do, so, you end up getting in trouble. I've talked to her mom & dad & they say she don't want anything to do with school stuff (I was the same way!) and I don't want to try and push her into anything. I guess what I'm saying is I don't know at this time what to say to her, to try and get her involved in anything. I fell like I sound so stupid!
And shopping, she loves it!! Whenever we'd go, I'd give her so much and she was really good about not asking me for more. She would walk around forever before she decided on something! I am really excited, worried, scared and many more emotions I can't even explain! Thank you all so so so much for your opinions. I think they will really help! Keep posting if you think of anything else!~Anna~http://www.unique-hardware.co.uk/server-smilies/contrib/fk/puppy.gif

Gepansy
05-22-2002, 09:14 PM
Well, since I'm really close to that age, I guess maybe telling you some of the things I like might help.
I love to go shopping and look in pet stores.
Maybe going and doing some things with friends, or going to the movies, or perhaps bowling?!?!
My friends and I usually go bowling more than the movies because it gives us a chance to talk, ect.
I don't know what all you have where you live...but I still hope this helps!

Alyssa

zippy-kat
05-22-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Albea
As a friend of mine says: give a girl a horse and you'll never have to worry about her being in bad company.

nope! the ER guys are pretty nice!! {{kidding}}
:D :D :D :D :D

do ya think your friend would talk to my parents AFTER I get outta this cast?! lol ;) :p :D

Rachel
05-23-2002, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by anna_66
Gini~Yes, she will be having responsibilities, but I'm not really sure about that. I do want her to keep her room clean, clean up any messes she make & things like that, but I'm not sure what else, any advice on that?

At 15, she's old enough to be aware that life doesn't come with a maid. Make a list of some things that are done on a weekly and daily basis and then ask her which chores she would be willing to take on as part of the family. Being a contributing member of the household will not only help her into the transition from child to adult but it will make her feel useful and needed.

This is also an age where she might like to acquire some cooking and or baking skills. This would be an activity you and she could share and enjoy together. She might want to learn how to prepare some of her favorite dishes or prepare a whole meal by herself. I wish I would have had someone to take me under their wing in this respect.

She will want to spend a lot of time with friends, but reserve some time for her to spend with you and your husband as well, because for all intents and purposes, you are now her family. This might take some effort on your part to seek out activities that you all could enjoy together, but it will expand your own universe a bit as well.

anna_66
05-23-2002, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
I think it is great of you Logan.
rg_girlca: Just so noone thinks it's Logan doing this, it's me! Anna! Me and Mark! Just wanted to get things straight.

Originally posted by zippy-kat
do ya think your friend would take to my parents AFTER I get outta this cast?! lol
zippy-cat:I'm not sure what your talking about!

Thanks for the other thoughts on what to do Alyssa!

05-23-2002, 10:25 AM
I won't add here really much , as everything has been said !!

:D

Just wanna wish you a great time and , just be firm and be yourself ..... !!

LUT

ps. I have a 13 year-old daughter and a 17 year-old son !:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek:
:D :D

zippy-kat
05-23-2002, 11:10 AM

[color=slateblue]zippy-cat:I'm not sure what your talking about!

eek! that's what typing with one finger will do to a person--I meant TALK not take! lol

I would love to have a horse--wish Albea's friend would talk my parents into buying one! ;)

as for the ER (where I had to go when I fell off the horse I was riding (and broke my wrist)), the guys in there aren't bad company at all....S-L-O-W but friendly lol

anna_66
05-24-2002, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
eek! that's what typing with one finger will do to a person--I meant TALK not take! lol

Ok, NOW I understand!! Thanks for clearing that up!!!http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/blackeye/Llol.gif
And Lut, Thanks!!!

rg_girlca
05-24-2002, 06:56 PM
Anna_66. I am so sorry if i upset you with the error i made. Why i put Logan's name is beyond me. I'm sorry Logan. I'll make sure i never make that mistake again. :(

anna_66
05-24-2002, 09:17 PM
No problem, and it didn't upset me at all, just wanted to get eveything straight!

Cincy'sMom
05-25-2002, 07:42 AM
I know she loves our dogs, that might be an option, working somehow with dogs, I'm just not sure how we would get into it. http://www.unique-hardware.co.uk/server-smilies/contrib/fk/puppy.gif

I know you have trained Roxey some because she passed her CGC test...did you take classes to do this? The place we use has classes in agility, compition obdience and therapy dog work. Maybe you could find a place there that offers these type classes and your neice could train Roxey for one (or more) of these that would suit both her and Roxey's personality. We also have a weekly drop in fun and games class that they teach the dog new tricks, play games, teach some freestyle, flyball, agility, whatever seems like fun that night.

I remember some of the stuff my paretns went through with my sister (and I am sure me and my brother too) but I was 21 hen my sister was 15, so I had a little different understanding of things...it was a tough time. She went through a lot at that age. I wish you lots of luck! Although it won't all be easy, I am sure you and Mark will do great!

anna_66
05-28-2002, 02:10 PM
After all this I forgot to show you a pic of me and my beautiful great niece! She doesn't look 15 does she?!

Dixieland Dancer
05-28-2002, 02:46 PM
Your niece is beautiful! And Tall!!!! You will be a great influence in her life. :D

AmberLee
05-29-2002, 12:08 AM
Uh-oh! You two have matching mischievious (sp?) grins. Could be trouble when you get going! ;) :D

I think this is going to be a slightly challenging, and wonderful experience. {{{hugs for all of you!}}}

NoahsMommy
05-29-2002, 12:43 AM
I don't have children yet (I'm only 23), but I am an advocate for a child that is 15. She is currently in a placement facility because her home is unsafe for her to be in emotionally and physically...however, this does not compromise who she is and she is true to this age. Here are some things I have learned and observed:

1. Set Boundries...this is so important, at first, I felt bad for her situation and would buy her things all the time...this got really out of control where she began to expect it from me. (She gave little thought to the fact that I was a volunteer) This goes with everything though...rules, respect, free time, chores, etc.

2. Chores...she needs to earn her keep without making her feel she is. With the chores, give her a little (like $5.00 a week) spending money and don't pay for everything. Let her learn to save and earn/buy what she wants. I am not talking about just cleaning her room or picking up after herself, I am talking about little chores like dishes or taking the trash out...something she needs to do every day. If you want, add a weekly chore like vacuming for an extra $2.00 a week. If she see's she is getting something for her efforts, she wont know she is being taught responsibility and yet the money isn't a huge amount, so she can learn to value it.

3. Respect her, she needs privacy and a space that is truely her own. Allow her to fix up her room, better yet, do it together. This is a great way to establish those boundries head on. :)

4. Set rules, (this sounds like boundries :) ) have her know the consequenses ahead of time. "My" child works on a level and a point system....according to thier levels, they are allowed (or not allowed) to participate in things. According to their points, they get prizes....such as makeup, a movie, candy, magazine, ect. This may be more for the behavior though, so this may not apply to her.

5. Treat her like an adult and hold her accountable. The biggest thing that bothers "my" child is that people don't tell her what is going on or wont talk to her about complicated issues. She feels like people think she is stupid and can't understand things. She loves it when I talk to her about what I learned in my Psych classes in school. Even is she doesn't understand something, she loves that I think she is smart enough to do so. That is huge in building a self esteem that has been altered (or shattered) by past events. This may really help your neice.

6. Make sure she knows that everything you do is based on love and concern for her. "My" child has gone though so, so much and I am so deeply happy to say that she knows that whatever I have to say to her or whatever happens to her, I am there and will always look out for her. I guess what I am saying is to let her know you are in her court, always rooting for her. Enstill in her that she is valued and that you and your hubby will always be there for her....but....make sure those boundries are set....make sure she knows that if she messes up you will be disappointed, but you still love her and are not going to give up on her. From what I've learned, they need that knowledge so badly. Everyone needs to know that they have someone that is there for them, somone that really loves them and expects them to thrive and excel in life.

OK, now that I spilled all my psychobabble knowledge, I want to commend you on what you and your hubby are doing. Most people wouldn't do this, you should be very proud of yourself. You are wonderful!! Of course you are....you're a "Pet Talker"! :) :) :)

Please forgive me if what I have said sounds dumb or anything like that, I have observed so much in "my" child's life that I wanted to share it in hopes it could help you. The place "my" child is at is doing such a great job with her, she is so happy and joyful, which is amazing to me considering her circumstances.

I wish you much luck, success, love and strength in this endeavor you have accepted. Very good. :)

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-29-2002, 06:23 AM
Anna,

I guess this thread started when I was out of town last week. So, i haven't been able to give my 2 cents. :D

First of all, you and Mark are doing a great thing. Your niece and her family are very fortunate to have you guys. You have a heart if gold and will have a great influence on Ashley.

I don't now if you remember, but I posted a little over a month about my brother coming to live with me. He is 17 and just graduated from High School. He too had gotten mixed up with the wrong crowd and has almost gotten himself killed on numerous occasions. He starts college in August, but moved in with me in May. He will be commuting to school the first semseter. Hopefully, he will get his act together and be able to move out on his own.

He was breaking my mother's heart and I just had to do something about it. Andrew suggested he come and live here for a while. And after talking to my parents about it, they agreed.

I too was worried about this whole situation. I am only 22 and have so much going on right now. I want to be his friend and sister, yet have to be the adult/parent. I think most of his problems stemmed out from my the way my father always treated him as a child and was always hard on him. My older brother and I were treated the same way, but were able to deal with it diferently.

He has chores like keeping his room clean, watering the plants, picking up after himself, walking Draker once a day while I am at work. I take him out all the time and we do fun stuff. Andrew has been a great influence on him when he is around. He takes him hiking, rock climbing, kayaing, and talk about guy stuff. He starts work next week and I have told him that he will have a curfew. I made it clear to him that I will treat him like an adult if he acts like one! Act like a child and you will get treated like a child!

He absolutely loves animals and goes to the shelter with me all the time. He and Drake play during the day and hang out together sometimes at night. He loves taking Draker to the lake and they swim for hours!

Things have turned out OK so far. I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted.

anna_66
05-29-2002, 07:38 AM
Thank you to all, the advice you give is great! That's exactly why I posted about this to get everyones feedback, parent or not. And I too feel, that if she wants to be treated as an adult, she should act like one. We plan on giving her responsibilities and an allowence, since she can't really get a job yet, but there are some people I work with that will be able to let her babysit. There will be consequences to the things she does wrong, and praise for what she does right. I have had a little while to think things thru, and I talked to her yesterday, and she told me point blank, "I know it's gonna be different than just coming up for the summer(the $ I'd spend on her!!), I know I'll have chores. We've always told her if she was ever able to come and live with us, things would be different, but that don't mean we can't have fun too!!! Only 10 more days, guess I better get my stuff out of her room and into the other. Oh ya, that is one of the things she asked me, "Can I put posters with pics of my friends on the wall?" Of course! I told her it will be her room now, and that I'm taking all my pictures off the wall & she can put up pictures or whatever she wants on the walls. She said "COOL!"
Ok, I've blabbed way too much again, sorry, but thanks to you all & if anyone has anything else to add, please do!!

NoahsMommy
05-29-2002, 11:08 AM
Anna_66

That is wonderful!! I am so glad you are making her transition a good one. You are great people! Let us know how everything goes. :)

anna_66
06-10-2002, 08:40 AM
She's Here! She got in last night, & I'm really excited and happy. All the fears are gone (at least for now!).
OMG, Roxey just absolutely adores her! I think that Roxey thinks Ashley is hers, because whenever Angus would start to come over, Roxey would give him the "Look". She's going to have to learn to share:D She (Roxey) kept me up all night long wanting in her bedroom:) Looks like those two are going to get along famously (kinda afraid I'll loose my little girl to her, being a big baby aren't I?). Well, just wanted to let you all know, I'll still be here, but not as much:D

TTFN!! Anna

DoggiesAreTheBest
06-10-2002, 08:58 AM
How exciting it must be for you, Mark, Roxey, and Angus!

I think Ashley will do just fine with you guys. The dogs will love having the attention of another person too!

gini
06-10-2002, 09:03 AM
It sounds as though everyone is off to a great start. God Bless you for being there for her. Keep us posted on how it is going, we are all here for you.

AmberLee
06-10-2002, 09:29 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you. This should be great for all of you!

Stenograsaurus
06-10-2002, 10:45 AM
I just wanted to say that I am so proud of you guys for what you are doing and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope all goes well for you. I'm looking forward to reading updates.

CountryWolf07
06-11-2002, 02:19 PM
Howdy.. well, I was 15 two years ago, lol.. I was pretty much of a normal kid.. hung out with friends, etc. But I * DO * know that there are a lot of teenagers.. who are.. normal.. or not normal.. but hey, don't worry :) You'll have fun when she's around! - Rach

Dixieland Dancer
06-11-2002, 02:51 PM
Wonderful pictures! I can't wait to hear and see how things are going. I always look forward to seeing your babies pictures and hearing what they are up too. Now you have a niece to add to the stories! Perhaps she will want to join Pet Talk and the two of you can take turns posting!!! :rolleyes: :D :) :D

anna_66
06-12-2002, 07:15 AM
If I could only get her into animals as much as she was into her friends back in N.C.! She is doing great, she went to obedience last night with us, took some pics & had alot of fun! I've enrolled Roxey in an agility course, starting next week & I asked her if she would like to be the one to take Roxey, she said yes & seemed really excited, but also nervous. So, we'll just have to see how it goes! Everything else is A-ok, so far-so good!
Thanks for the well wishes!

PS...I put up a few pics in Dog General (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11689) from last night, they are pretty good!
Anna~