PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have advice? (kind of long)

Pembroke_Corgi
05-07-2006, 08:49 AM
Well, I did not get into graduate school this year...and I'm not sure I want to apply again next year. I only applied to 4 schools since that's all I could afford (it was about $100 per school with fees and transcripts, etc.). Plus I spent another $400 on my interview.

Anyway, all of the programs I'm interested in in my field have very low acceptance rates (between 5-20%) and I'm not sure I want to go through it again next year, since it really takes a lot of work/money.

So....I've been thinking about other options, and I'm thinking about a masters in teaching or veterinary science.

The upside to teaching is it would only take me another 1.5 years and there are always jobs available. Plus, I have always wanted to be a professor and I enjoy teaching (I was a college tutor and I found it very enjoyable) so teaching high school is another option I guess.

I am also thinking about becoming a vet because I have always loved animals and it would be nice to work with them. After working at the hospital for a while I've gotten used to seeing blood, etc, which used to be a big aversion for me. However, it would take me another 6+ years (but grad school would have taken me another 5 anyway). I would have to get another undergraduate degree and it would probably take another 2 years to fulfill all of vet school's requirements (2 years biology, chemistry, physics, etc) plus 4 years of vet school.

I guess ultimately I see being a vet as more rewarding, but I'm just not surewhat to do, I just know I would like to go back to school for something. Anyway, I'm sorry to ramble, if you managed to slog through this post I'm curious as to what your opinions are. Thanks in advance!

Laura's Babies
05-07-2006, 09:15 AM
OK, lets be real here! This is a pet board so what do you think most of us would adivse?? VET SCHOOL! We need more caring vets and so do the pets!.... and to add to that, I think you should specialize in "special needs" pets.

Pembroke_Corgi
05-07-2006, 09:33 AM
OK, lets be real here! This is a pet board so what do you think most of us would adivse?? VET SCHOOL! We need more caring vets and so do the pets!.... and to add to that, I think you should specialize in "special needs" pets.
Haha, I know know this isn't the best place to get unbiased advice, but I'm just kind of unsure. Everyone I know wants me to become a vet too, but it's what all of my family thought I would do forever since I was kid because of how much I've always cared for animals.

Honestly I think the biggest attraction for me becoming a vet is because I have seen several vets who seem to be in it only for making money, and I would love to be able to help humane societies and help educate owners on responsible pet ownership.... but it's just that it's such a huge time commitment and I'd definately have my work cut out for me.

k9krazee
05-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Honestly I think the biggest attraction for me becoming a vet is because I have seen several vets who seem to be in it only for making money, and I would love to be able to help humane societies and help educate owners on responsible pet ownership.... but it's just that it's such a huge time commitment and I'd definately have my work cut out for me.

That is exactly why I want to be a Vet!!

Good luck in your decision!!

Cataholic
05-07-2006, 12:34 PM
I look at it like this, you can always not use your education, so, might as well go for the MOST education you can get (Vet school), as you are only broadening your options. I can't remember where you are from- unless I leave this response and go look at your siggy....but, I **think** in the US you can teach at the college level without a teaching degree or certificate. So, IF that is true, well, you could still do both, or use teaching as your fall back position.

He he he..I went and looked. You are here in the US (assuming one considers Iowa the US, right?) and you have a BA in psych...are you saying to obtain a master's in teaching you would need another five years? That seems kind of outrageous, but, I don't teach, so, I don't know, really. Can't you get your master's in a hard science, then get into vet school? Does one have to have a BS to get into Vet school?

Karen
05-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Teach! Apply for teaching jobs, for now, and see if that's what you really want to do - the world needs more good teachers.

Pembroke_Corgi
05-07-2006, 07:06 PM
Thanks everyone! I value everyone's input, I just like to have some varied opinions before I make a decision.

He he he..I went and looked. You are here in the US (assuming one considers Iowa the US, right?) and you have a BA in psych...are you saying to obtain a master's in teaching you would need another five years? That seems kind of outrageous, but, I don't teach, so, I don't know, really. Can't you get your master's in a hard science, then get into vet school? Does one have to have a BS to get into Vet school?
Well I applied to Phd programs in psychology, which would take 5 years- getting a masters in teaching would only take another 1.5.
You don't have to have a BS to get into Vet school, but it helps, and it would take me the same amount of time to get another degree in science as it would to just take their required courses.

Teach! Apply for teaching jobs, for now, and see if that's what you really want to do - the world needs more good teachers.
I don't think there are any alternative certification programs in Iowa, but Eric and I are looking at other places in around the country- we have been wanting to move anyway!