View Full Version : Yay *Addicted I say, YES!*

Roxyluvsme13
04-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Another betta for me. A female this time. She's royal blue, and her name is Ariel. We also changed TT's name to Neptune, and I need some help with Ariel's tank, and I'll post pics in a bit :D. We got her a critter thing, and we *THINK* It's half a gallon, but we're not sure, and I need to know for the Water conditioner...So some help would be nice! It's a small, and here's the link.
Tank (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444180 9403&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030170&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023694&bmUID=1144961240090&itemNo=12&Nao=12&In=Reptile&N=2030170&Ne=2)
It's the small one, and the dimensions are 9"L x 6"W x 6.5"H
ANY help on the tank is appreciated, and I'll get Ariel pics as soon as possible!

k9krazee
04-13-2006, 03:58 PM
:eek: Wow, three already :D I'm assuming your mom finally gave in, lol...thats awesome.

As for not knowing the size...take a gallon jug and pour water into it and see how much it holds :o That would be what I would do...

But isn't 1/2 gallon a bit too small for a betta :confused:

Roxyluvsme13
04-13-2006, 03:59 PM
:eek: Wow, three already :D I'm assuming your mom finally gave in, lol...thats awesome.

As for not knowing the size...take a gallon jug and pour water into it and see how much it holds :o That would be what I would do...

Yes it is, but...it's all I could afford, and her water was awful, so I rescued her.

k9krazee
04-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Oh, so because you rescued her its okay to make her live in a less than perfect environment :confused:

Please don't think I'm trying to 'bash' you, because I'm really not. I just don't know how you can not afford a tank but you will be able to afford everything else that comes with a betta. I have not given in to the betta craze yet because I KNOW that I can't afford a large enough tank for my betta, the bloodworms, pellets, medication, water treatments, etc, at this time and I only want to bring a betta into my life when I can fullfill all of its needs the best that I can.

Maybe its just me...but I think that if you can't afford to/or won't give the animal a suitable life then you shouldn't rescue it in the first place...but that of course is just my own opinion.

I know this is supposed to be a happy, 'I got another betta' thread...but I needed to say that. And once again, Congrats, I can't wait for pictures.

Roxyluvsme13
04-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Oh, so because you rescued her its okay to make her live in a less than perfect environment :confused:

Please don't think I'm trying to 'bash' you, because I'm really not. I just don't know how you can not afford a tank but you will be able to afford everything else that comes with a betta. I have not given in to the betta craze yet because I KNOW that I can't afford a large enough tank for my betta, the bloodworms, pellets, medication, water treatments, etc, at this time and I only want to bring a betta into my life when I can fullfill all of its needs the best that I can.

Maybe its just me...but I think that if you can't afford to/or won't give the animal a suitable life then you shouldn't rescue it in the first place...but that of course is just my own opinion.

I know this is supposed to be a happy, 'I got another betta' thread...but I needed to say that. And once again, Congrats, I can't wait for pictures.
The tank *is* a one gallon. It's 50 times better than living in a cup. Now she has a home where she gets a nice roomy tank, and CLEAN water all to herself. She was starving, and her water was horrible in that little cup.

Roxyluvsme13
04-13-2006, 04:50 PM
Ok meet Ariel! :D
She is a Royal Blue VT, rescued from Petmsart. Her water was filthy, and she was starved to death. She is so freaking adorable, and she's the only one of my bettas that eats cucumber :D.

racing_gurl07
04-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Ok meet Ariel! :D
She is a Royal Blue VT, rescued from Petmsart. Her water was filthy, and she was starved to death. She is so freaking adorable, and she's the only one of my bettas that eats cucumber :D.

AWWW....that's sad that she was starving and the water was horrible!! im glad she is in a safe and loving home now..she is so pretty!!! :) Hello Ariel!!!

zoomer
04-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Three Betas? You're going to have a lot of tank cleaning to do :eek: lol. Maybe you could save up for a filtered one with seperaters that serpreate the betas from eachother? We had one of those but the filter sucked them up :( My friend has the same tank you got from PetsMart and her beta is thriving. Good luck!

Yes it is, but...it's all I could afford, and her water was awful, so I rescued her.

Good for you, that's so great you rescued her!

Roxyluvsme13
04-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Three Betas? You're going to have a lot of tank cleaning to do :eek: lol. Maybe you could save up for a filtered one with seperaters that serpreate the betas from eachother? We had one of those but the filter sucked them up :( My friend has the same tank you got from PetsMart and her beta is thriving. Good luck!

Good for you, that's so great you rescued her!
Haha, I think tank cleaning is pretty easy. Honestly, I dont plan on any filters or anything. Alot of bettas dont like filters, and mine are all extremely happy in their one gallons. :)

Chilli
04-13-2006, 05:37 PM
No fair! D: I want a female! :D Ah well.... she's pretty.
Just one word of advise, though I'm not meaning to sound horrid, but maybe you should save up plenty of money before you get another betta? I know they're addicting! :)

Roxyluvsme13
04-13-2006, 05:39 PM
No fair! D: I want a female! :D Ah well.... she's pretty.
Just one word of advise, though I'm not meaning to sound horrid, but maybe you should save up plenty of money before you get another betta? I know they're addicting! :)
This is the last one for a while :p. I'll have plenty of tank cleaning to keep me busy! :D

Chilli
04-13-2006, 05:43 PM
This is the last one for a while :p. I'll have plenty of tank cleaning to keep me busy! :D

I know how that is! :D I cleaned Hinge's last night, and Cadbury got messy with his food and he's getting a cleaning after supper tonight. :)

Roxyluvsme13
04-13-2006, 06:02 PM
I know how that is! :D I cleaned Hinge's last night, and Cadbury got messy with his food and he's getting a cleaning after supper tonight. :)
Haha. Silly Cadbury. Have you named Nameless yet?

binka_nugget
04-13-2006, 06:16 PM
Congrats on the new addition! Ah.. to only have to do three WCs a week.. I'd give anything to have that again LOL.

I hope I don't get bashed for this but I just thought I'd throw this in.. I house one of my crowntail boys in a .5 gallon tank. He gets water changes regularly so ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are never too high. Out of the 30+ bettas I've owned so far, he seems to be the healthiest and happiest. Of course, I'm not advocating that .5 gallons are ideal for all bettas but it just shows that a betta can be perfectly happy and healthy in a smaller tank.

Roxyluvsme13
04-13-2006, 06:18 PM
Congrats on the new addition! Ah.. to only have to do three WCs a week.. I'd give anything to have that again LOL.

I hope I don't get bashed for this but I just thought I'd throw this in.. I house one of my crowntail boys in a .5 gallon tank. He gets water changes regularly so ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are never too high. Out of the 30+ bettas I've owned so far, he seems to be the healthiest and happiest. Of course, I'm not advocating that .5 gallons are ideal for all bettas but it just shows that a betta can be perfectly happy and healthy in a smaller tank.
Haha. Poor you xD. My 3 are all happy in their one gallons, and I'm not going to change that :p

Chilli
04-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Haha. Silly Cadbury. Have you named Nameless yet?

Not yet. :D Nameless is still lacking a name. Nothing seems to fit. I'll rack my brain tonight and tomorrow and hopefully decide on a name. Don't count on it, though. ;)

Roxyluvsme13
04-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Not yet. :D Nameless is still lacking a name. Nothing seems to fit. I'll rack my brain tonight and tomorrow and hopefully decide on a name. Don't count on it, though. ;)
LOL. Maybe he's meant to be called Nameless :D

buttercup132
04-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Bettas also live in puddles in China so thats why they are in smal cups although that is not nice thats why. Thats also why they can live in such shallow water.

IRescue452
04-13-2006, 09:35 PM
bettas don't come from China and they don't "live" in puddles. When it is dry and the water is very low they survive in the puddles, but they certainly don't thrive. It is not ok to make a betta live in a small cup. Why do you think they don't have the muscle to live with a filter and they are very suseptable to fungal infections, because they literally waste away in the cups. My girls live in 2.5 gallons and my boy lives in a 5. When you put them in a big tank you can watch the muscle grow. A small tank can't cycle anyway so they suffer in chlorine, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

flamepony12
04-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Bettas also live in puddles in China so thats why they are in smal cups although that is not nice thats why. Thats also why they can live in such shallow water.

Just had to throw this in. (Please don't take this as a bashing, that's not what it's meant to be.)

1. Bettas live in rice paddies, not puddles.
2. They live in Thailand, not China.
3. The only time they have to "live" in small amounts of water is during the dry season. During the rest of the year, they have plenty of swimming space.

Good luck with Ariel!

Roxyluvsme13
04-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Good luck with Ariel!
Thanks, she has a huge chunk of her tail missing :eek:

flamepony12
04-13-2006, 10:43 PM
Add a pinch of aquarium salt, that'll help a lot. :)

bckrazy
04-14-2006, 01:35 AM
Good luck with your new Betta! She looks like she needs lots of time and patience, but she's adorable ;0)... she has clamped fins (it could just be stress from a new home, but watch for other signs of illness) and her anal fin is definitely damaged. I would recommend Indian Almond Leaf and/or Bettafix.

Be sure to change her water 2x more than you normally would, to help her heal. If it is less than a gallon, it needs to be changed every 2-3 days! I think it's fine to keep Bettas in 1/2 gallons temporarily, as long as water changes are very frequent, but I would not keep an adult Betta in one forever. 2.5-5 is ideal. You could've bought a 5 gallon clear tupperware for less than that Critter Keeper, for temporarily ;)

Roxyluvsme13
04-14-2006, 08:27 AM
K where could I buy bettafix, aquarium salt or almond leaf?

Roxyluvsme13
04-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Would Melafix work? I think Neptune needs some, too. I'm not sure, but he may have fin rot. But his fins are damaged badly..so would it work?
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 7336&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030064&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1145023986014&itemNo=0&Nao=0&In=Fish&N=2030064&Ne=2

Alysser
04-14-2006, 10:43 AM
Sorry I just saw this. Congrats! Pics soon?

lvpets2002
04-14-2006, 11:26 AM
:D MMMMM I knew it that there is a Betta Junkie out there & It Is You :eek: .. **** CONGRATS ***** oK now we need a name please & pictures..

buttercup132
04-14-2006, 02:52 PM
:D MMMMM I knew it that there is a Betta Junkie out there & It Is You :eek: .. **** CONGRATS ***** oK now we need a name please & pictures..Lol she posted pictures and her name is Ariel:p

binka_nugget
04-14-2006, 04:49 PM
K where could I buy bettafix, aquarium salt or almond leaf?

I know my local walmart carries cartons of aquarium salt for a couple bucks. You should be able to find bettafix there as well. Indian Almond leaf isn't available in most stores.. some smaller fish stores may carry them.. but places like Walmart don't.

Would Melafix work? I think Neptune needs some, too. I'm not sure, but he may have fin rot. But his fins are damaged badly..so would it work?
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 7336&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030064&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1145023986014&itemNo=0&Nao=0&In=Fish&N=2030064&Ne=2

Bettafix is basically diluted melafix. I can't remember the correct dosage but read the back and only give 1/5 (I think) of the recommended dosage.

Roxyluvsme13
04-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Okay. I hope Petsmart has Melafix..or...maybe...BettaSpa? Would that work, too?