Thread: Lily and the Outdoors: Need advice!!!

Lily and the Outdoors: Need advice!!!

You know, I have planned to get the little Lily kitten but she has to stay at least two more weeks with her current owners, friends of mine.

I have asked them right from the start ('cause Lily will be an indoor cat, like Luna) NOT to let her play in the garden, but now - since yesterday - Lily and her brother are playing right there: OUTDOORS.

Alone all the dangers waiting outside are scaring me to death, and another thing I'm worrying about is that Lily will have problems to get accustomed to the life as an indoor cat when I bring her home.

How are your experiences here? I always thought a cat that's supposed to be kept strictly indoors should never learn about the life outside... What do you think?

Here's Lily playing outside, and she seems to enjoy it:

Kirsten

Last edited by Kirsten; 07-18-2003 at 05:30 PM.

You might want to gently remind your friends to keep her inside, but she's not likely to get very accustomed to the outdoors if she's just outside occasionally for a couple of weeks. Several of mine spent their first couple of months outdoors before I discovered them and brought them inside, and they're all quite contented to be house cats.

I think the only problem with this is the dangers that lurk outside. I think she is young enough that once you do bring her home, she will adapt very quickly to the life she will be leading with you, and forget all about the short time she was outside. Now, if she were 12 years old, like Pjevs, you might have a problem. But she is still so young and they adapt so quickly at that age. When they are outside, are they supervised or in a fenced in backyard or something? If so, the dangers will be minimalized, but if they are just allowed to roam free wherever they please, I would definitely ask your friend again, or remind her, that you would prefer Lily be kept inside. Of, if that's not an option, maybe you can persuade her to give her to you earlier than expected? I know you wanted to wait so she had plenty of time with mom kitty, but I think I'd rather take her early than see something happen to her outside.

Of course, this is coming from a paranoid American where it's not uncommon to keep cats inside. I know it's much more common to let them out in other parts of the world, and some might think we are being way over cautious, but for my own peace of mind, I'd ask that she stay inside.....otherwise I'd be a basket case before the next two weeks are up!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Oh, they know very well I'm not comfortable with it, but then again, they won't stay outdoors all days, only occasionally and also supervised, at least I hope so!

However, it's encouraging to hear some of your cats made the switch without any problems!

Kirsten

Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    Of, if that's not an option, maybe you can persuade her to give her to you earlier than expected? I know you wanted to wait so she had plenty of time with mom kitty, but I think I'd rather take her early than see something happen to her outside.

Of course, this is coming from a paranoid American where it's not uncommon to keep cats inside. I know it's much more common to let them out in other parts of the world, and some might think we are being way over cautious, but for my own peace of mind, I'd ask that she stay inside.....otherwise I'd be a basket case before the next two weeks are up!
    There is a fence around the garden and I think she is only outside when supervised, but I was actually thinking about getting her a bit earlier than originally planned. But when she's getting her shots next week, I better have to wait two more weeks because the vet recommends not to expose a kitten to any kind of stress (like moving) right after the shots because a possible infection could kick in under these circumstances.

LOL, I'm often told not to follow the American standards too much, even by the vets! But I don't think the American way to treat pets is paranoid, I think it's better to be safe than sorry. Too many people here have this "a cat has nine lives"-mentality, and I'm often critizised by these people for the way I'm treating my cats. They say I'm overprotective.

Kirsten

The only thing I'd worry about bringing any of my cats (cept for Moo cuz he's hairless and the fleas have nothing to hang onto or hide in) are bringing fleas into the house. Once they're in your house, it can get real ugly. Besides, since she's so young, it'll be easy to switch her to indoors.

Great pictures!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Blog Entries

indoor or outdoor cat?

Hi, mew, I was an abandoned kitten, pregnant & alone. Once KatMa & Paw-Paw took me in it didn't take long for me to become an indoor cat.

I have two window chairs. All our windows are screened in my Palace. KatMa opens the glass panes and the nice fresh air comes in through the screens.

Mew, I can't get out but do enjoy watching the birds, and inhaling the fresh air. When I'm in the front window, I watch the action on the street: kids, adults, dogs going for walks, the very occasional cat and, of course, the birds!

So mew, mew I'm sure baby Lily kitten will adjust. She is gorgeous!

Felix (Maine Coon Cat) & Norman (Marbled Bengal Tabby Cat)

KatMa says:
    "Angels are sent to purrsons, dressed up as Cats" and
    ~Life without Cats is NOT a life at all!~
    Original cat quotations(c)Susan Elizabeth Dykhuis

Life without liberty is like a body without spirit -Kahlil Gibran

Sasha the Queen Calico
    b. 8 May 1994 - d. 29 August 2005

Our most purrecious little girl, we love you fur~ever.

Bobby the Dog, cats Tiggy [TBCU], Princess and Paddy-Paws, and Chucky the Dog are showing you the ropes at RB. Kisses and hugs to all of our darlings from your KatMa & Paw-Paw.

Calico Cat Atavar by: Glenda Moore

Don't worry Kirsten, your little Lily will adjust just fine, but I can't believe that your friends have gone against your wishes to keep her inside. I would definitely get her sooner than you planned.
    Also, so what if people critizise you for the way you treat your cats. If they want to let their cats outside and sit in open windows with no screens, good for them.
    Go with what you feel in your heart. Personally, I feel you are a very good meowmie.
    So when others say this or that to you, just let it go in one ear and out the other.
    You're doing a great job. At least your babies will have a long and happy life.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Quite a few of my cats were outside cats (not by their choice, but as strays) and they adjusted to indoor living just fine.

I'm relieved to hear it obviously won't be too problematic to make her an indoor cat again. I have a big apartment and she will have a lot to explore.

But I really hope nothing will happen to her while she is still there! I already love her and kind of feel a strong need to protect her! LOL

I saw her again today and she was sooo cute. It's getting harder and harder each day to leave her!

Sasha, it's sounds you're one lucky cat that you've found such a good home!

rg_girlca, I have many arguments and discussions with people, not only because of the outdoor/indoor thing, also because I'm trying to make my place safe for cats (no open windows, no burning candles with a cat around, regular vet check ups etc.). Even if they don't agree with me, I'm getting tired of them telling me what to do and not, because it's my very own business to do what I think is the best for my cats! Here you can see that for many, a cat is still "just" an animal...

Kirsten

A cat is JUST an animal.
    Karen would ban me forever if I posted what I really think of people who say stupid things like that. Sooo we will just skip that part.

All in all Kirsten, I think the best solution to this, is to just not discuss cats with your friends or neighbours. Obviously they do not agree with whatever you say, so what is the point. In order to keep your sanity, if through conversation, the subject of cats should come up, try to change the subject.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you wanting to keep your babies safe.

Can't wait for you to finally have your precious little Lily safe and sound in your own home.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Emily was a stray cat living on the mean streets of Baltimore. Once I got her from the animal rescue place she REFUSES to go outside anymore. A little while ago one of my window screens popped out of the window while I was at work. I thought that she would have escaped but I came into the apartment and she was sleeping on the couch. Even if I hold the door open for her, she refuses to go anywhere near it. So I wouldn't worry, I am sure that Lilly will adjust to living inside without any problems.

rg_girlca, I actually stopped discussing these things with people like that, it's wasted energy. but it's disappointing though. I just posted about all this here because sometimes it's really hurtful. Yesterday my mother's fiancé (the one who called Lily ugly) was like "Well, you know, for me a human is a human and an animal is an animal". I told him I won't even start a discussion with him now 'cause he knows very well how I look at things.

Glad that Emily adjusted so well, but I suppose her experiences outside weren't the best ones...

Kirsten