Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial for kitty condom beds

Tutorial for kitty condom beds

This is for the kitty condom type beds that Laura's Babies designed and taught Lori (Jazzcat) to make. Then Lori taught me, so hopefully these directions make sense. The pictures are some that Lori sent to me and some of mine, too. The directions are some of my own, and some of Lori's all pasted together!!

Each bed takes 1 yard of 60 inch fabric (flannel is a good bit less expensive that fleece, but fleece is cozier) Laura's are fleece. If the fabric is 45' wide - it takes 1 2/3 yards. A 16 ounce bag of polyfil made two beds for me. I bought my flannel (pink and blue) at Jo-Ann on sale for $1.50 a yard and it was 45 inches wide. The regular price was $4.99. Check the remnant area, too! I also saw cute fabrics at Wal-Mart.

First, cut a long piece of fabric 12 inches wide. An 18-19 inch bed takes 60 inches. A 24 inch bed takes another 12 inches sewed on to the end to make a 72 inch x 12 inch strip.. This is the rim. To make the circle, try cutting a square the size you want and then rounding the corners - it takes two circles.

First, fold the long strip in half lengthwise with right sides out. Use pins every here and there to keep it even. Put one round piece down, right side up, and pin the strip all the way around, folding the tube in pleats towards the inside as you go. When pinning the tube, cut off your excess material if you have some, but leave enough to fold in a little to make a little hem then pin one end inside the other just a little.

When using batting rather than polyfil, Lori discovered that it is best to pin the tube to a piece of the base with the batting so your layers are batting on bottom, base material and then tube. Here is what it looks like so far:

If you are going to stuff the middle, it looks the same only no batting.

Then, add the other circle, right side towards pleated tubing and pin all the layers together with right sides facing.

Stitch around the circle, leaving enough room (about 3-4 inches) in order to turn everything rightside out after you sew the circle. You can leave a smaller opening if you do not use batting. Pull the tubing and all through that opening.

If you used batting, you can now stitch the opening closed - I found it helpful to now zigzag all the way around the base of the bed - tacking down the seam and making sure the seam faces in towards the circle. If you are going to stuff with polyfil, of course do this first and spread it out to the edges and some in the center until it is as fluffy as you like. I used about 1/4 a bag on this step.

Now stuff the tube with polyfil. I found it easiest to push the first handfuls to the far side of the tube and work towards the opening on each half. 1/2 bag is enough for me - the first time I used a whole bag and it was too stiff so I pulled half back out!! Too much stuffing will also make the bed curl up. Just stuff so it is soft and fills out the circle but don't overdo it like I did

Stitch the tube closed with a whipstitch. That is all!!

Here are six of Lori's bed:

Here is my 18 inch bed with batting on the bottom and a bit too much stuffing!! Big enough for Dylan - fitting snuugly

Here is my 24 inch bed with less stuffing in the tube (about 1/3 bag) and this one I also stuffed the bottom rather than use batting. Altogether, this big bed took about 1/2 bag of polyfil.

Of course, no kitties would model it!!

I hope this helps!!! Thanks for the step by step pictures, Lori!!
    Last edited by sirrahbed; 02-04-2005 at 08:45 AM.

Those look great! How long do they take on average -- from cutting the fabric to finishing?

A little over an hour for me, Kim Lori made all six in one day!!

Hmmm... I just might have to make one for my guys. I have some old blankets in the basement and bags of polyfill. Only problem is that my sewing machine and I have an agreement: I don't use it, it won't frustrate me.

Looks great Debbie.
    I'll have to try the zig zag stitch around the base, that is if I even know where that is. I don't know much about sewing.

As you can see in the picture with the six beds I made this week that I hit the remnant rack at JoAnn's.

Kim - it took me about a total of 7-8 hours to make 6 of them but that includes dealing with two kittens who thought the material was a toy and breaking a needle on my machine.

From Decker with Love

Thanks for this! I can't wait to get started!

Thank you so much. I had no plans for tomorrow and the weekend - now I do!!

Wow!! Those look GREAT!! You ladies could go in business now. 6 in ONE day???? That is some work but it is a labor of love, isn't it? Amy still uses hers and sometimes there is a fight over it. I have had to washed hers but she prefers it DIRTY! I make some sort of bed for mine everytime I am home.. I love sewing for my babies and they KNOW when it is for them and are so willing to help.

GREAT JOB ladies... I want to see what the rest of you make when you make them... I wish we had a JoAnns here!!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

They all look so comfy,cozy, and beautiful.

LOL - I can see why you call them kitty condoms! They look very comfy though.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Thanks for the "tips" Lori & Deb! That is much easier than how I made mine . . . I always have to make everything too hard for some reason but I will try this way.
    -christa

~RIP Abby Jan 14, 1995 - July 21, 2005~

That certainly makes a lot more sense,that paying that horrible price,at the Pet Food stores,they want 20,or 30 Dollars,for a bed,that is not half,as nice!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I like the "quality control" shots. Those beds are so cute!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

any new beds stitched yet?? Please post photos

I posted another thread, but this is the one I made last night, from the bandannas I bought. I saved the fleece, just incase I messed up, did not want to waste it! The kitties loved them. I have about 20 pictures of the kitties napping in them, but here is 2 of just the bed

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!