Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tired of people making me feel bad about Lily

Tired of people making me feel bad about Lily

Sorry, but I have to vent a bit!

Seems since I have planned to get Lily, people start making me feel bad about it.

Not only that my mother and her fiancé have told me from her first pictures she was ugly and unfriendly (which I have mentioned here before), people keep telling me how hard it would be to travel when you have to cats (actually I can't see their point because 1. I don't travel much 2. I would have to find a cat sitter anyway 3. IMO it's even more comfortable for cats to be left alone when they have company). Okay, vet bills, food and litter x 2 is another thing, but I will make it somehow.

People here (not everyone, but a few never seems to get tired of it) keep criticizing me for being "overprotective" with my cats and find it overcareful that I don't let my cats sit in open windows or leave them alone with burning candles. Or that I've banned toxic plants from my place and take the cats to the vet when they show signs of illness. I'm often told not too follow "the American standards" too much and to keep in mind a cat is a cat and has nine lives. Meanwhile I refuse to discuss things like this with these people, it's nothing but wasted energy and time. But it's also disappointing.

Latest example: I talked to a friend (the one who usually calls me overprotective) on the phone and told her that Lily is allowed to go outside now by her current owners and that I'm worried about that (see topic here. When I told her that, her reply was like "Well, If I were you, I wouldn't take her anymore now. WQould be too cruel and heartless to keep her indoors now that she knows the outside world. Is there any possibility your friends can keep her?"

Can you believe that? I have asked my friends (those who Lily still lives with) to keep her indoors, my wish was ignored, and now I'm told it would be selfish of me to take her now??? I'm so very disappointed about everything! Instead of looking forward to Lily, everyone seems to want to ruin it for me, just as if it's not meant to be!

Kirsten

People can be so rude. I don't know how to put the words I want into comfort, but I just want you to know that all of us are here for you, and want you to do what you want, and what will be best for Lily.

I still think that she is beautiful, and I know how you feel about protecting your cats. Cleo and Phoebe can't go outside, and they can't sit in open window, either. We take them to the vet when they get sick, even though money is getting tight.

I think that you need to do what feels right for you, but I believe that Lily should be your cat.
    Dayna, Alex, Phoebe, Cleo, Rolo, Scooter, & Holly

Thank you so much Popcornbird!

It has took me 29 years to learn this lesson.

Just because you care for someone (friend or family), it doesn't follow that their opinion is right.

I lost a friend last year because she decided out of the blue that SHE FELT that my loving partner was not right for me. When asked to make a choice he WON and I learnt the above lesson. Friends can be wrong.

I was told by my cat loving (in the singular) mother that my house would smell bad with three cats. Recently she commented that she was surprised the trays didn't smell (My tip add baking soda sprinkled in the bottom of the trays before adding litter).
    Family can be wrong.

We only have one life and who cares if others disaprove. As long as we are not hurting anyone else, we should be free to life life as we choose to.

I don't talk to my work people, friends & family about my cats, they don't understand. I save my cat talk for Stevie and PT people.

Lily belongs with you and Luna. Ignore those who critise.

Personally I don't think friends who tease you about your care of your cat deserve to hear about her.
    Post more photos here. Luna is one pretty cat I for one could not read enough about her.

I don't talk to my work people, friends & family about my cats, they don't understand. I save my cat talk for Stevie and PT people.
    I agree here, I never talk to my family about my cats. They always end up getting mad at me for having them (and that's because my parents only think I have one cat). I never even told them that I got a second cat because I knew my mom would just lecture me. When I was getting ready to move she kept trying to tell me that I should get rid of my cat because the $100 pet deposit was just too expenisve and wasn't worth it. And she complains about how the money spent on food, vet bills..etc could be better spent on other things. So I've learned never to talk about my cats when we speak.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Specific Comments

Originally posted by Kirsten
    ...people keep telling me how hard it would be to travel when you have to cats...
    What a silly comment, I would have laughted out loud. Have they not heard of Pet sitters & catteries.

....criticizing me for being "overprotective" with my cats and find it overcareful that I don't let my cats sit in open windows or leave them alone with burning candles. Or that I've banned toxic plants from my place and take the cats to the vet when they show signs of illness.
    Life is risk but you don't take silly risks. You set a cat's lifestyle to an acceptable risk level. I wouldn't have toxic plants in the house, or lit candles etc. (I do let them sit on the low living room window but it is very low and my cats are inside/outside)
    And who would let their cats suffer, all pets should be taken to the vets at any sign of problems some people

I'm so very disappointed about everything! Instead of looking forward to Lily, everyone seems to want to ruin it for me, just as if it's not meant to be!
    It is meant to be. Luna needs her sister.
    Be happy with your online PT friends, we'll help you celebrate young Lily's arrival & introduction with Luna.

*sigh*
    What is the world without pet lovers?
    I work with a couple ladies who are farm wives and don't have indoor pets and the other day I was talking about the dog park and the one acted like I was nuts. Kept saying "dog park ha ha'' under her breath, I was getting a little perturbed.
    All I can tell you is ignore them, I know it is hard. My parents don't have animals indoors, (or at all) but they love my dog(s), and the tolerate Kylie. And they don't question me taking Keegan and Kylie to the vet, they might not understand what is wrong with them, but they trust my judgement that they need to go. When Keegan was sick on Friday, they called me 3 times within 15 minutes to see how she was.
    I know you have had problems with your friends before, you can't tell me you are the only one in your country that believes what you do! I refuse to believe it! Is your mom just set in her ways?
    I guess if it bothers you enough then I would tell them that this is what I am doing and this is the way it is going to be! Like or Leave it.

Not much help am I!?
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Would these people leave a small child in a room with easy-open bottles of toxic chemicals within reach? Would they tell you, "Oh, let the kid lean out the fourth-story window. What's the harm?"

What people who don't care about animals fail to understand is that many of us love our pets like children. To us, words like "Why worry--it's just a cat," are as harsh as if they'd said "You should let your child play with knives." Pets are family. And anyone who is insensitive enough to criticize someone else for loving and caring for a pet, and keeping that pet out of danger, is a very cruel person indeed.

They can only make you feel bad if YOU let them! You're doing the right thing for both you and Lily. Ignore these people. Don't talk to them about your cats, it's obvious they're ignorant when it comes to owning one. You do what is best for you and Lily and forget what they say. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....I have this problem at work. They think it's funny to try and upset you. Please don't let them do this to you.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

You're doing what is right for you and the cats. It's no one else's business. PERIOD!!

I get alot of crap from my family about how many cats I have (7 plus 1 foster cat). But you can walk into my apartment and not know I have 8 cats.

I used to worry about what other people thought. Now I really don't care. I do what is right for me and my furbabies.

Good luck and stay strong.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

As K & L said "They can only make you feel bad if YOU let them!" That's very true, but it must be very sad and disappointing for you when you cannot share your pride & joy
    with some friends or family members. It's probably best to try
    hard to ignore them or let them tell you how to live or care for
    the kitties. I did read your other posts(with pics of Lily) and I
    think she is beautiful & will make a lovely, contented inside cat.
    I share the worry about her being outside now because of the
    diseases she could come in contact with while outside. Hope the
    time flies till you'll be able to take her home with you & Luna.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

PLEASE don't let this type of person ruin YOUR life. If I listened to what other people told me I'd not have had 20 years marriage under my belt (Because Charlie was not "good enough"). I'd definitely not have my wonderful cat family (because I should "let some of them die off so I can get down to a decent numner"). Shall I go on?

I know how dissapointing it is to not be able to talk to your own friends and family about certain aspects of your life, but you NEED to choose who to discuss what, with. My mom would listen to cats stories on a daily basis. When she passed I was left with no one to talk to about my cats who would really appreciate it the way she did. A sad reality, but better than hearing OVER & OVER again "That is what happens when you have too many cats!" (my co-workers answer to ALL my problems in life)

WE WILL LISTEN. And what more do you need?

Don't you pay attention to those people! You get your kitten and be happy! Keep her safe, and indoors. Overprotective is a GOOD thing! I hover over my animals like a hawk too. It will not be cruel to keep her inside. She's still a baby and hasn't been outside too much, right? I'm sure she'll adjust just fine!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Silly people. Here I am with Bastet sitting on my lap cleaning herself and I wouldn't have my life any other way.

If I listened to my friends I would be married to a drug addict, alcoholic who likes to beat women. If I listened to my family, I would be home at my parents place on 100 acres doing nothing with my time. People can be dumb.

It is your life and you do with it what you please. We are only here once.

I love hearing about luna and lilly. Lilly to me sounds like a gorgeous kitty and I would love to hear all about her again and again ....
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

As long as YOU know you are doing what is best for Lily, who cares what anyone else thinks?

You know in your heart what is the right thing to do / the right way to care for and protect them etc.

I have also learned the hard way to be VERY discerning about who I discuss Ally with. People who do not have the same "mindset" about cats can be very cruel without intending to.

My Mum doesn't even talk about Ally, unless I bring her up, but my Mum-In-Law closes all her emails with "Give Ally-Cat a big kiss from Grannie"

I think Lily will be very lucky to have a caring Meowmie like you!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

Exactly!

Originally posted by BastetsMum
    Silly people. Here I am with Bastet sitting on my lap cleaning herself and I wouldn't have my life any other way.

If I listened to my friends I would be married to a drug addict, alcoholic who likes to beat women. If I listened to my family, I would be home at my parents place on 100 acres doing nothing with my time. People can be dumb.

It is your life and you do with it what you please. We are only here once.

I love hearing about luna and lilly. Lilly to me sounds like a gorgeous kitty and I would love to hear all about her again and again ....
    Good on you Bastets Mum!

One thing I learnt by moving interstate at 18 was that I make my own decisions, and that my family are welcomed to their opinions, but my life is just that ... mine ... to do with what I wish. My sound judgement has proven to my family that they need not interfere anyway, and they do not.

I am also lucky that my family know that I love cats. Hard not to, as I have adored them since I was a wee tot!

Kirsten, I agree with everyone else here - you need not feel bad about Lily. Your friends and family have very misguided ideas about being cruel. For one thing, it is far better to be overprotective about your cats than it is to be lackadaisical about their health and safety. Secondly, it would be cruel NOT to adopt Lily, because there is a chance that no one else will. Thirdly, two cats really isn't that much more than one. Ask Jen and PayItForward about this one.

Lastly, these people know NOTHING about cats. You know best for your cats, go with that instinct!

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.