Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A New Project for Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Karen

We want to let people know how you found out about your local shelters ...
    Hmmmmm ...

Not sure, or wonder why, the method of "finding" (or how you contacted)
    your local Shelter or Rescue is important??

Over the years I've had to jump through some pretty tall "hoops" to be able
    to talk to some Shelters and Rescues - some local and some pretty distant.
    In a few cases I was looking for a pet;
    in others I was trying to find a home or a place of refuge for a homeless animal ...
    in all cases it usually wasn't a matter of looking in the phone book ...

The real challenges are:
    1) Learn the name and the existance of a particular rescue ...
    there are usually several Shelters or Rescues operating in even the small towns -
    that most residents have never even heard of - let alone know how to contact.
    Some places seem to "like" not being known or being "findable" by the average person -
    ya gotta "know someone" to be able to talk to them. (I always wondered "Why?")

2) Learn a phone number that some human will either answer or return a call from ...
    I can't tell you how many UN-answered calls I've placed to Rescues / Shelters.

Keeping the Names & Phone Numbers lists "correct & current" can be an almost
    impossible task - many of these agencies "switch" personnel frequently -
    sometimes by choice; sometimes by need - but phone numbers never seem
    to stay current very long.

But my point - the "method" or the "tail" of how they were contacted isn't as important
    as the actual Point of Contact - that can be duplicated by others.

Fees / Costs / Prices ???
    They're all over the map - anywhere from "free / no charge" to HUNDREDS of dollars -
    and you get anything from a filthy, un-vetted and poorly observed unknown animal,
    to a fully Vetted & Vaccinated, clean, trimmed, and sometimes partially trained,
    housebroken, and socialized "pet" ... and what you pay doesn't always reflect
    what you get!
    Breed-specific "Rescues" frequently charge high fees ...
    County-run "Pounds" often charge low fees yet furnish quality animals.

Example:
    My Cinder was "advertised" to me by Cinder's "Angel Moms" = two Volunteers
    in the Shelter/Pound that took pictures and published a web site for the Pound
    and answered inquiries faithfully.
    I "adopted" Cinder for a County Fee of $60.00 + a $4.25 WV License Fee ...
    and they Refunded $51.00 as a partial payment sent directly to MY Vet
    upon certification that she had been spayed.
    Net "Cost" for Cinder = $9.00 + $4.25 = $13.25 paid to Ohio County, West Virginia.
    (And about another $50.00 or so to Doc Mike for the rest of the spay job and some shots.)
    This was all back on July 3, 1999.

Smokey was almost as "cheap" ...
    Cinder "found" him on the front porch on Sunday night, January 21, 2001;
    Tuesday night he was delivered to "Angels for Animals" as a "Sponsored Foster Dog" -
    I paid $90.00 for his heartworm test (negative), Neuter, Rabies & Puppy Shots,
    Ear Wash & Nail Trim, and 6 months of heartworm preventative.
    I had to "Foster him" in MY home till they had room to move him into a kennel
    for display
    as an adoption candidate. When he got adopted - I would get my $90.00 back.

Six Days after Cinder "found" him, Smokey had a name and his status had been
    changed from "Foster" to "Adopted".

The bottom line ?

Very few Shelters or Rescues have the same policies - and often the sometimes
    fuzzy "policy" can be modified by Who you Know in the organization.
    I've played my "I Know the Founder (personally)" card three times at
    Angels for Animals -
    and Diane has pulled the proper "string" for me each time.
    I've NEVER asked for a price or fee reduction; but she has changed the shelter Manager's
    "we have NO rooms" to "I'll find a place for him, somewhere, bring him over".

(Abd I DO "own" a $100 Engraved Brick in her patio between the wings of the New Shelter.)

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    Remember, we want to let people know how you found out about your local shelters
    I found Tibby on Petfinder, but not by searching. I posted an add in their pets wanted classified section. I stated that I was looking for a siamese or siamese mix kitten. The next day I had an email from a wonderful lady who fostered cats in her home. I went over to go meet the cats for adoption and met Tibby who she had emailed me about. Her adoption fee was $95 and it included her shots, spay, one free vet visit at the clinic of my choice and one month of shelter care insurance. I have to say it was a bargain! She did require a home visit, but it wasn't anything too intense she just wanted to make sure that my home was ready for Tibby. Overall it was a great experience and if it wasn't for that add I posted I would have never found out about her rescue.

Another great way to find a rescue is to just keep your ears open for events happening around your town. Once a year Tucson puts on a pet fair, in addition to all the great vendor booths there are always rescues for just about any pet you could want. This year not only did I see cats and dogs up for adoption I also saw ferrets, rats, guinea pigs, donkeys, pot bellied pigs and many other wonderful pets needing home!
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Ooh!! If you wanted to add a little tad of BYB and puppy mill...You can use my Website!
    JALPD
    As for shelters, you can use my shelter
    Tailchasers(WCJCAC)
    If that's the wrong website, oops!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue
    http://www.ygrr.org
    The Home Page has a list of all breed rescue organizations.
    I don't know about other rescues, but all Goldens from YGRR are treated for any health or behavioral problems before the are ready for adoption regardless of their age. There is a special program for seniors.
    Another very good "no kill" private rescue is Friends of Homeless Animals in Merrifield, VA, for both dogs and cats:
    http://www.foha.org
    Last edited by Albea; 03-14-2006 at 12:43 PM.

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

This is the Adopt-A-Husky, the Siberian Rescue site we raised money for on the Husky Hike. It's a large organization with sites in several states, but I don't know what their policys are.

http://www.adoptahusky.com

and I've been to this rescue - Northwest Ohio Siberian Rescue

I think they charge between $150 or $175 adop[tion fee, mostly goes towards the dogs medical care. We have visited on w of the three kennels that work with them. close to ohio & michigan. These people all sled, so there are Siberians and sometimes Alaskan huskies. They do not accept surrenders from individual owners, the dogs must come through humane shelters. This group is easy to work with.
    http://members.petfinder.org/~OH94/

I found both of the rescues through the internet.

Just to pass on some info, I didn't have much luck with some of the rescues I contacted through petfinder ads. Found that some groups had a kind of snooty attitude. So don't give up, but know that you may have to go through some searching to find one your situation is compatible with.

Always try surrounding humane societies. The Findlay Humane Society in Ohio is very good about placing huskies, because the gal that interviews prosepective adopters owns four huskies herself, so she makes sure they go to a good husky-safe environment.
    Last edited by cyber-sibes; 08-15-2006 at 08:23 PM.

Anyone looking for a German Shepherd Dog in Illinois can check out:
    www.gsdrni.org.
    Be prepared to fill out a long application form with references and vet references. You will have to go through a home visit and then a dog "meet and greet" after we find one that might fit into your home. This way the committee can match the perfect dog for your family.
    Last edited by Sudilar; 03-14-2006 at 10:11 PM.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

FLAG - For the Love of Animals, Goochland - Just north of Richmond, Virginia. A no-kill facility. My son adopted his two cats from them.

FICAS - Friends of Ingham County Animal Shelter - Not too far from Lansing, Michigan. We adopted Abby from this organization, after finding her on Petfinders. This is NOT a no-kill shelter, so this organization does wondeful working getting animals into foster homes.

Niki came the Humane Society in Tacoma WA

http://www.thehumanesociety.org/

Buddy came with the help of the Border Collie Rescue. My foster is posted here as well.

http://www.pnwbcrescue.org//

Bozy came from the Aussie Rescue NW

http://www.aussierescuenw.org/

This group is out of west central Ohio, they rescue all breeds. One of our church members works with them. She doesn't have a website, just an e-mail contact, but I thought I'd pass it on.

[email protected]

Here are a few links where I've adopted cats before.

Humane Society This is my local Humane Society and I adopted both Storm and Sky from here.

Friends Of San Martin Animal Shelter I adopted Starr from a woman who worked with this shelter group.

Stanford Cat Network This rescue group helps homeless cats at Stanford University. I adopted Cirrus from them. Most of their cats are ferals or semi-feral.

Here's a link in adobe format that lists California rescue groups: CA Rescue Groups Master's List I adopted Sunny from Unconditional Love but they don't have a website right now.

Can someone post about experiences they've had with breed rescue? I only know of one person locally who was given such a run-around, and then her calls were not returned, and she eventually gave up, even though she would have been an excellent home, and was willing to follow the group's protocols. It was quite disheartening.

I will post about the Greyhound Rescue Society in my area - somewhere slightly upstate NY. Although I know that other Greyhound Rescue Societies are very good (my sister has two greyhounds), these people took our initial application fee and never contacted for us afterward. We did not follow further, because we were offended at their lack of courtesy.

There is a hole bunch of organizations i know of one which i like and am in contact with now this one would be for the Border Collie lovers i found out about this rescue through one of my dogs trainers as i have her in flyball and a little of agilityhttp://www.bordercollierescueont.com