Thread: I killed my car yesterday!!!

Hybrid View

I killed my car yesterday!!!

Well, my car broke, and it cannot be fixed. And it's my own fault! I forgot to check the oil, and yesterday, the engine ran dry when I was on the Autobahn. Luckily, I made it to the exit before the car eventually died, but before I reached the exit, something has already exploded inside the engine, there was a terrible loud noice and stinking smoke. Guess I'm lucky that I left the Autobahn alive! LOL

But I'm depressed. It was only a 13 year old, rusty Ford Fiesta, but I cannot affort to buy a new car. My income isn't much, and I see my savings shrinking drastically, and the fews I still had were for future vet bills, car insurance, car taxes etc. Now I have to spent the money on a new car (well, not really new, maybe a ten year old second hand car or so), but then I cannot pay the costs it's causing.

Well, this is the latest addition to all the worries and sorrows I already have!

Sorry for venting, but life is really hard these years.

Kirsten

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    ((HUGS)) Stay positive.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

Ask about getting a rebuilt engine, or even a "used" one from an auto-wreckers.
    That can be expensive...but maybe not as much as a used car!

Here is a Germany link for Freecycle: http://www.freecycle.org/display.php?region=Germany

I have seen vehicles available on this site locally. The point is to keep items from going to the landfill. And they are given away!

Try it, and good luck!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thanks, I'll check it out!

I was thinking about trying to get a used engine for the car... The only thing is, I don't know if it makes sense to spend any money for trying to fix that old car. I need to think about it...

Kirsten

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your car. I hope your luck turns around soon.

Kirsten- a 13 year-old Fiesta and a new motor? I am very sorry (and I know what you're talking about driving an 11 year old 256.000 km BMW) but that would be the end. You cannot be sure what the TÜV (the technical check that needs to be done every two years) would say next time and then it might be the end plus you would have spent the money for the motor.

I hope you have a friend who has some technical skills- then it should be possible to get a nice old car that is in better shape. It should be possible to get a good deal these days as there are more cars on the market than would be needed.

Go for Japanese- usually they have a good long-term quality (as opposite to French or Italian ) and are not expensive in repairs (as opposite to German).

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten

I was thinking about trying to get a used engine for the car... The only thing is, I don't know if it makes sense to spend any money for trying to fix that old car. I need to think about it...

Kirsten
    Is this car worth an engine change, or, are there more repairs other than "just the engine".

I sure do wish I could help you Kirsten~I married a "Car" guy, and I have consulted him with your current dilema.

Do you know of a reputable mechanic who might be able to rebuild this particular engine?
    Rest in Peace Corinna~ Well Never Forget You~

I"VE BEEN FROSTED

Oh no! I understand what a big problem it should be for you! Where I live in the middle of nowhere, there is no other possibility than having a car!

I agree with Barbara that trying to find another second hand car would be the best. You never know if after changing the engine it will pass the control. And I agree, don't go for a French or German one if you don't buy them new. They are fine until they are not too old and that you don't have to change something...

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten

Kirsten
    I'm sorry your car died

It may not be worth it to try to fix a dead old car. I purchased a car for £600 in dec 2004 and two months later it needed a new engine. Guess how much I spent to have another (old) engine replacing the dead one? exactly £600 again, it's just like buying another car. My car is working just fine now but even with the new engine (well,an old engine but in good condition) it's not worth £600 now

thanks k9krazee for the signature!

Thanks everyone for your support!

In fact, I don't think it would make sense to replace the engine in a car that old! I was even thinking about not getting a new one, but that would really be hard. I couldn't even get my cats to the vet if necessary. And I already begin feeling trapped here at home, without a car.

I need to look for a second hand one (my co-workers also recommended a Japanese), but I cannot pay more than 1000€. That's the maximum, if it would be cheaper, it would be even better.

And yes, the annual inspection is indeed a nightmare, and it's usually a lot of money to get your car in good shape, so it could pass the test. Insurance and taxes are also a lot, not to speak about the prices for gas, which I think are twice as much than in the US.

I still have no idea what to do; my boss has promised me to figure something out, he said he would like to help me; also with the disposal. Alone this costs 250€ or more. Having a car in Germany is not cheap, but I would be totally lost without it.

Kirsten

Believe me, I feel your pain!!! I'm in the same sinking boat you are. My car died June 2nd. It's an 1986. It could be fixed but it would cost way more than the car is worth and way more than I have. Can't afford a different one either.

I've been taking the senior bus which is hard for me. I'm so short, plus with my arthritis, I have trouble getting on and off it. And getting the kitty's food and litter is a real challenge!!! Still, when you have no other choice, what else can you do?

Hang in there!!!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh Kirsten, I'm so sorry. My sister just did the same thing her car recently. She too was lucky to get it as far as our sisters house before the car died.

I hope you can find inexpensive transportation soon. *hugs*
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June