PDA

View Full Version : Meals on Wheels for Dogs and Cats

clara4457
03-11-2005, 09:02 PM
I want to know what you think. Here is what we are currently working on. We have contacted Meals on Wheels and Catholic Charities and are planning on maintaining and distributing a "food bank" for cats and dogs that are owned by house bound people in our area. We have a girl scout troop that is willing to do a "food drive" for us - and we are contacting pet food distributors and supply places to donate food for the cause. The goal is to keep animals in the homes of people who are great owners, but lack the financial means to care for the companion animals. There is also the issue of these people feeding ferals off their limited income to the detriment of their own well being.

A rep from Catholic Charities was telling us the story of a woman who was getting her meal and feeding it to her cat because she couldn't afford cat food. Our goal is to distribute pet food at the same time they distribute people food. Our thought is that we could keep animals in the home by subsidizing the care of the animals in these lower income homes. We would also arrange vaccinations, spay/neuter, and organize volunteers to help with some care that is hard for the house bound to perform (e.g. dog walking, litter pan cleaning, etc.)

What do you think? I think it could be a big dynamic. Most of the people we would target are loving, giving people who have a need for a pet but cannot afford the upkeep of the animal. If we could help subsidize this - we would be able to save animals and people at the same time.

Cincy'sMom
03-11-2005, 09:14 PM
I think it is a great idea! Last year one of our local food banks was collecting food for military families. Our Therapy group donated cat and dog food so the animals we thought of too. It went over very well.

delidog
03-12-2005, 05:24 AM
I think it is a Great Idea...

Look at the Case of "Oliver"
In the Dog Rescue Thread Adoptable Hounds....His Family is Financinally struggling...Maybe they could have kept him had his food been subsidized...He is in Mt.Vernon N.Y....
Poor Baby!!

Rachel
03-12-2005, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by clara4457
. Our thought is that we could keep animals in the home by subsidizing the care of the animals in these lower income homes. We would also arrange vaccinations, spay/neuter, and organize volunteers to help with some care that is hard for the house bound to perform (e.g. dog walking, litter pan cleaning, etc.)

It's an EXCELLENT idea. I would think that another concern these people would have might also be transportation to the vet.

anna_66
03-12-2005, 07:41 AM
Clara that is such a wonderful idea. I think it would go over great!

tricollie4me
03-12-2005, 07:12 PM
I agree, fantastic idea. You'll be making some seniors and their beloved pets healthier and happier! Will you be creating a website with details and a way for community folks to donate to your cause(e.g., Paypal, trust account, etc.)?

I'd love to hear updates as they occur!

Ozron
03-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Hey that is a great idea. Not bad for someone North of the Mason-Dixon line. Just kidding.

Let us know how it goes. You may have really started something.

Ron Konkel - About as far South of the Mason - Dixon line as you can get.

Pit Chick
03-16-2005, 11:40 AM
That's a wonderful idea. You're an awesome person Clara.

Logan
03-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Somewhere I have heard of a Meals on Wheels group doing this, Clara, but for the life of me, I can't remember where. :o

I think it is an EXCELLENT idea!!!! :) Best of luck and thank you for even considering it!!

Logan