PDA

View Full Version : Request Suggestions.

Abandoned
01-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Since early Augest, I've been feeding a mid sized animal that has taken residence in the woods near my home. After much searching, news paper adds, and notices on telephone poles, I found the dogs history. His story, like so many others, is sad. Abused and beaten by his first home he ran away and was found and taken in by a dog sledding team. Just as with most abused animals, he was deathly afraid of people. For a few months he was used as a sled dog and just as he began to trust in a certian person he got lost. Roughly 3 years ago he was hit by a car and has since stayed the woods. Being fed by numerous people, he stayed alive. I located him one day by chance after a friend showed me the damage to his vehicle as he had hit a white dog. I went up to the area the animal was hit and saw a large white animal, half dead, lying with half his body in a stream. My his thought was to run to his aid and logic quickly stopped me as he attempted to gain his feet. I left knowing he wanted nothing to do with me. I returned awhile later with kibble. He was gone but I left it just in case. Its january and I still feed him. Once or twice a month I see him hobbling about the snow covered area where his food is always left. He still runs in fear.

Sorry for the long post. It makes me sad to know he lives alone in the cold winter, howls at night, and possibly suffers the affects of broken bones. I wonder if anyone, has any suggestions on how I can gain this animals trust. I would addopt him in a momment and so would many others. Long ago I sent an email to Stanly Corben and never recieved a reply.

LorraineO
01-09-2005, 06:28 PM
Hmm,,, hard call.... he is alive yet limping,,, afriad of ppl,,, been wild for awhile from the sounds of it,,, Have you contacted your local SPCA?

In the meantime,, keep feeding him.... youre very sweet to do that much for him!!

Abandoned
01-09-2005, 06:32 PM
spca wont do a thing. One, I cannot prove that there is a dog there. Two, they wouldnt seem him and would think Im nuts. Im feeding him every night, but he will never come closer...:(

QueenScoopalot
01-09-2005, 06:35 PM
What a tragic sounding life this poor dog has had! :( You may get a lot more responses by posting this in "Dog General" sad to say. More people frequent the General sections, as opposed to the Rescue. I'm glad you're providing this dog with nourishment, and it sounds to me as though the only way anyone can get help for him, is with a humane trap. How often do you see him? If it's daily, maybe a Humane Officer trained in tranquilizing animals can dart him, and find him/her some help before it's too late. The dog is no doubt very feral by now, and inclined to bite if cornered in any way. Have you contacted shelters in your area, and or posted under dog rescue groups on the internet? Keep us posted..too sad. :(

LabradorLover
01-09-2005, 06:37 PM
That's a tough situation :( I think you are doing the right thing by feeding him. Aren't there dog rescue's that would be willing to help? How long has been living outdoors for? Does it get cold where you live in winter? Hopefully you can find a soiution.

Abandoned
01-09-2005, 06:51 PM
I often considered getting a humaine trap, but I see no end in site. The idea is great, untill you really think about it. In some small way I think he trusts me a little bit. To set a trap would mean he would go into the hands of vets and laws and a lot of red tape that wouldnt follow logic. Basically, I am afraid to capture him would mean one of a few things one, the vet would hand me a bill, being as young as I am (15) I cannot afford this even if I wanted to and he would be held untill I did. Two, they would kill him once they noticed that he has been in the woods for about 3 years. 3, the best possible outcome- someone else adopts him. In this sense, its hard not to be selfish and want him as my own. But, if I knew a loving, caring, and knowledgeable family took him. Or it could be my worst fear of all and he would go back to being beaten and abused.

Winter here has already reached as low as -41 degree Celcius.

LabradorLover
01-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Well if it's going to get that cold he may not even make it through winter. You can make sure he goes to a proper home, even though you want to keep him. He may not even be fit for a home, he's been living in the wilderness for three years, he's probaly feral.

Abandoned
01-09-2005, 06:57 PM
He's made it through 3 winters all of which have reached this kind of low temperature. Im curious to learn what you really mean by feral and if its what I think it is.

LabradorLover
01-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Check your pm's:)

Abandoned
01-09-2005, 07:10 PM
I see no reason that couldnt have been posted here:p I saw him again tonight and will post pictures as soon as I can.

QueenScoopalot
01-09-2005, 08:03 PM
I feel really bad for the dog, but am glad you are feeding him. Is there anywhere that's fenced in around your yard that he/she could be lure into, and at least given a dogloo? Feral means the animal has either been born in the wild, or has reverted to wild behaviour in order to survive. I'd love to see pictures! :)

Abandoned
01-09-2005, 08:07 PM
my back yard is fenced in. However, it sits at the end of a rather long driveway and I think he would be scared of the garage.

Abandoned
01-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Here he is guys, only difference is that its snowing now:(

Abandoned
01-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Here again

Abandoned
01-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Last one for the time being untill I can get more.

bckrazy
01-11-2005, 11:03 PM
wow, he is gorgeous!! you're so nice to take care of the poor guy. It sounds like he isn't too horribly injured, but maybe try spending time whenever you can sitting out near where he is, and you might be able to gain his trust and get him some medical attention? I'm sure that if you were able to take him to the vet a rescue group or the SPCA would pay for it.

Maybe you could build/buy him a dog house where you usually see him so he can have some shelter?

QueenScoopalot
01-12-2005, 06:09 AM
What a gorgeous dog. Is there anywhere you could build him/her some shelter of some sort? At least that way the dog could get out of the elements to some degree :confused: :( How did you find out the dog's story? :confused:

Pit Chick
01-12-2005, 02:31 PM
Do you know if this dog is a Husky or Malamute?

Here are some rescue contacts in your area for either breed.

Husky

http://shccrescue.com/

http://www.bcsiberianhuskyclub.com/

Malamute

http://www.malamuterescue.com/rescue.html

Try contacting these places to see if they can help rescue him. They would probably have foster homes or a shelter more capable of dealing with rehabilitating him.

Abandoned
01-12-2005, 05:04 PM
I came about his story thru posters and newpaper adds. I've spoken with the previous owners. They are @@$H0L5!!! I have some sort of plan, but, is has a few kinks in the system. First is, I already have pets and I've no idea how he would react to them, or vise versa.

TrixiesMom
01-12-2005, 05:13 PM
I notice you're in Ontario, as am I..

Where abouts? If you're in the Niagara Region or kinda around Southern Ontario, I might be able to point you to someone..

Abandoned
01-12-2005, 05:17 PM
Im 16 hours away, tucked into a small community called Thunder Bay. Not North Bay, Thunder Bay. You may here of us as we are being attacked by snow, again.

Pit Chick
01-12-2005, 05:19 PM
You'll just have to keep everyone separated. I rescue dogs, but I don't let any newcomers intermingle with everyone else right away. First it has to be vet checked to rule out anything contagious. (My dogs and fosters are current on vaccinations, but nothing is full proof.) Then I have to evaluate the dog's temperament and personality, get to know it myself so that I know how it will react in different situations.

Since this dog has been through a lot, the most important thing you need to worry about right now is getting the dog to trust you. If you manage to get the dog to your house, you don't want to overwhelm him with too much at once, so just keep him by himself. If you have other dogs the link below will give you tips how to deal with that:

http://www.pbrc.net/rotate.html

zuki
01-12-2005, 10:12 PM
What a beautiful dog ! .
( once the authorities get involved, you lose all control of the situation) Since this dog is getting used to you, you might just keep on doing what you have been doing. Spend as much time as you can in his "territory" where he can see you.It will take time. For a temporary shelter, a large heavy cardboard box might work temporarily, just to keep him out of the wind. You could take it to the area where you feed him. (With the snow on the ground you might be able to follow tracks, and find out where he is bedding down, and leave it there too.) I wish you the best of luck with this beautiful animal. He deserves a loving home, and someone who would really love him. And it sounds like you do !

Abandoned
01-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Shelter is not a problem. He's malamute, or partly anyhow. All he does is dig into the snow, curl up in a little ball, tucks his nose under his tail, and snoozes cozy warm like a bug in a rug. I've followed well warn trails to one of a few places he sleeps, a box would disturb his routine.

zuki
01-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Sounds like you pretty well have it covered then. As long as you keep feeding him, you stand a good chance of keeping him.
Good luck, and God bless...z.

Abandoned
01-14-2005, 06:41 AM
Right now Im getting so many opinions its making my head hurt.

zuki
01-14-2005, 02:38 PM
If I could, I'd send you an aspirin for your 'hurting head'. Just follow your heart with this dog. ( I know where you are "coming from"...I feel the same about animals)
Last spring we "adopted" a stray who had been abused. You can feel where the broken rib has healed.It's still a bump. Ours is a young dog..about 2 yrs. old. As long as YOUR dog is getting along OKwith the feedings you supply, the bone will probably heal in time. (Maybe not correctly, but he can still walk and run with it) WE did NOT really want a dog. We have a 16 yr old cat already. But we have had this rambunctious pup since last June, and now we can have both the cat and the dog in the same room without a chase or a fight. Had to keep more of a control on the dog than the cat. But now the dog knows to leave the cat alone. And the cat reinforces that by hissing at the dog every time she comes too close. But for 9 months, I think we are doing pretty well. As I mentioned earlier, it takes TIME. These animals are not pushovers, and know to be careful, and cautious around people.
I really really hope you can befriend him, and keep him. (He looks a lot like our white/blonde german shepherd who died 20 yrs ago)
God bless.....z

Abandoned
01-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Its appearing more and more that he will be captured. Maybe this might come to head after all. Im not sure about anything right now, but, I guess I've just got to trust my gut and got with it.

zuki
01-14-2005, 07:51 PM
Good luck, and please keep us updated...z.

dukedogsmom
01-15-2005, 09:21 PM
My heart aches for him. You're so good to help him. I hope he can at least keep living in the woods for you to feed him. He is so beatiful. He must be a very special creature.

Abandoned
01-16-2005, 10:25 AM
The way things are looking, Denelli wont have to suffer in the cold for much longer. SPCA will set a coyote trap for him and the AMHL will take over from there. I will not be adopting him because of other pets I currently own. Malamutes and cats dont seem to get along.

QueenScoopalot
02-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Abandoned
The way things are looking, Denelli wont have to suffer in the cold for much longer. SPCA will set a coyote trap for him and the AMHL will take over from there. I will not be adopting him because of other pets I currently own. Malamutes and cats dont seem to get along. Any updates? :confused: I hope he doesn't end up being destroyed due to his lack of socialization. :(

Abandoned
02-06-2005, 11:58 AM
We are still working out the fine details. He will be back in captivity sometime around the end of the month:)

bckrazy
04-15-2005, 05:55 PM
bump :) I was also wondering how the poor pup was doing?

Abandoned
04-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Well, our first attempt failed. We had laced his food with a setative and set it out for him. He decided not to show up and eat... So, we are just reorganizing, setting a new vet date and we will try again.

stanpopovich
04-24-2005, 05:57 PM
This Might be of help

MANAGING YOUR STRESS AND YOUR PETS

© Stan Popovich – All Rights Reserved

Everybody deals with stress and anxiety, however some people sometimes take it out on their pets. Instead of taking your problems and frustrations out on your pets or other animals, here is a list of techniques that a person can use to help manage their stress, anxieties, and fears.

When facing a current or upcoming task that overwhelms you with a lot of anxiety, the first thing you can do is to break the task into a series of smaller steps. For example, changing careers can be a stressful situation. In order to help manage this task, try to divide this goal into a series of smaller steps and do each of these tasks one at a time. For instance, the first thing a person can do is to develop a resume and then find those companies where you would like to work. Once you mail your resume, you can then focus on the interviewing process. Completing these smaller tasks one at a time will make the stress more manageable and increases your chances of success.

Sometimes, we get stressed when everything happens all at once. Instead of taking it out on your pets, a person should take a deep breathe and try to find something to do for a few minutes to get your mind off of the problem. A person could take a walk, listen to some music, read the newspaper or do an activity that will give them a fresh perspective on things. This mental timeout can help you refocus on your current situation.

In dealing with your anxieties, a person should learn to take it one day at a time. Instead of focusing on exaggerated assumptions that may or may not happen, focus on the present and take it one day at a time.

Sometimes, it helps to be able to talk to someone about our stressful situations. Talking to a trusted friend, counselor, or clergyman can not only make us feel better, but they might be able to give you additional advice and insights on how to deal with your current problem. This is a lot more effective than yelling at your dog or cat.

It is not easy to deal with our stressful problems, however taking our frustrations out on your pets or other people will not make the problem go away. When things are not going right, try to remember to treat your pet as the way you would want to be treated.

BIOGRAPHY:

Stanley Popovich is the author of "A Layman's Guide to Managing Fear Using Psychology, Christianity and Non Resistant Methods” - an easy to read book on how to manage your persistent fears and anxieties. For additional information go to: http://www.trebleheartbooks.com/mvStanPopovich.html
Or Email the author at lonestar_9780 @ yahoo.com