PDA

View Full Version : Pomeranian Vaccine Question

Jenifer
07-10-2001, 01:56 PM
We have recently bought a Pomeranian. The AKC Breeder was quite adamant that we do *not* have her vaccinated for Leptospirosis, instead that we find a vaccine for the dog without the Lepto in it. She said that there was too much history of the Leptospirosis vaccine causing death in Poms and other small breeds. Our vet said he personally found this to be very untrue. A few weeks ago I received a newsletter from the AKC it did state that this vaccine can cause trouble and even death in small breeds.

My question is have any of you avoided this vaccine in your small breeds, or has anyone heard about this as well?

Jenifer

jackiesdaisy1935
07-10-2001, 08:48 PM
Hi Jenifer, I can't give you the answer to that and I don't think we have anybody here who has a Pomeranian. Maybe it would be a good idea to get a second opinion from another Vet, just to be on the safe side.
Welcome to PetTalk, would love to see a photo of your new pup. I have two Mini Schnauzers. :)

shipugtzus
07-10-2001, 10:04 PM
Hi Jennifer and welcome. I do not have any poms,however I have been told the same thing about any small dog by my vet.I do NOT use the Lepto as all of my babies are of the toy variety.I don't know about where you are,but here in Missouri Lepto is very rare and not even considered a threat.So therefore I don't risk using it.I have had small poms in the past,be sure and watch for sugar shock if she is a tiny one.If you have any further questions just ask.I will be glad to help any way I can....Sandy

tatsxxx11
07-11-2001, 05:21 PM
I had the same question for my vet last year. Until a year or two ago, she says the lepto vacc. had not been available due to the issues you talked about. But, she said the new and improved vacc. currently being given has none of the untoward side effects of the previous one. Like you, I was very worried. She assured me that it was very safe. My dogs are large breeds however, and I did not specifically mention breed size. I think she would have noted any exceptions. However, considering what others here with small breed experience, and the AKC have said, I would look into it further. I have to go to the vet tomorrow, and will ask specifically about this. Lepto was very prevelant here the past few years, with several dog deaths reported, and my kids are always in the woods, ponds, lakes etc. so I felt it very important they get vacc. for this. I'll let you know what my vet says. Sandra

tatsxxx11
07-11-2001, 05:23 PM
Ah, how rude of me!! I forgot to say Welcome!!! My kids are Star, yellow lab, and Cody, husky/shep. Hope to see pics of your babies soon! You will love talking and sharing with all of the wonderful people and furkids here!