PDA

View Full Version : Sam aka Shemp has passed away

catmandu
09-26-2006, 09:38 AM
At 13 of renal cancer.
I knew that Shemp was ill, as he took to sitting in the bath tub.
But this morning when i saw he had been peeing on himself, and could not drink water, I had my Vet pick him up.
The first test confirmed cancer.
We could have done more tests and treatments , but I cannot afford the thousands of dollars that would take.
He said that it would only prolong the pain.
I am sorry Shemp.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/SAMPREC.jpg
I hope you can forgive me when we meet again.
One Fine Day.

Catty1
09-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Oh, Gary.

What is to forgive? He was so unwell, and had cancer (at the very least). You saved him from not only more discomfort from the illness, but from the pain of more testing and bloodwork.

What a dear precious boy...and how much love was there!

I wish for you that as the pain eventually subsides, you will have lovely memories of that special cat. There was no one like Shemp!

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

Zippy
09-26-2006, 11:20 AM
I am so sorry.(((HUGS)))
RIP Sam

Killearn Kitties
09-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Oh Gary, I'm so sorry that you have lost Shemp so suddenly. :( I can't imagine there was anything to be gained from prolonging his suffering in the circumstances.

Rest in peace, Shemp. You had a fine life with loving furry friends and a great home. What cat could have asked for more.

kuhio98
09-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Gary ~ I'm so sorry to hear about Shemp. Thank you for all the wonderful years you gave him. I know that he and Moose will be showing up at the next Angel BBQ.

jenluckenbach
09-26-2006, 12:27 PM
OH NO! RIP Sam. We all loved you and you will be missed.

Gary, do not grieve, nor blame yourself, Sam is now snuggling with Moose and Diane and both Tubby's and Lucas and Y.lee. And all the other angels are lining up to sleep in the next kitty pile.

Sonia59
09-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Oh Gary, what a sad news. You did the best for Shemp, there is no doubt.

RIP dear Shemp. You had a good life with your daddy and all your friends, and now you will be playing hard at the RB with all your other friends. ;)

Prairie Purrs
09-26-2006, 01:12 PM
I'm so sorry. I'm sure that Shemp has already found his place among the Cat Angels watching over the hotel from the RB.

catlover4ever
09-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Oh Gary, I'm so very sorry but you should not second guess yourself because you did the best thing for Shemp, he is no longer suffering and in pain.

RIP Sweet Shemp...watch over your PawPaw. :(

Donnaj4962
09-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Oh my Gary, I am so sorry to hear about Shemp. Please, please, do not blame yourself for this. Remember that the vet said that treatments would just prolong the pain for him. You did what was necessary. And Shemp was loved for many long years.... and I am sure that he is in a cat pile at the RB!

RIP sweet Shemp, RIP.

(((hugs))) to you Gary.

kb2yjx
09-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Gary, you made the right decision for Shemp out of LOVE, not your wallet!!! I did the same for Ralph Syracuse. Would it have been worth it to put Shemp thru all the suffering and pain? Now he is at the Bridge, with all his old friends and many new ones that passed on this year. He is young, healthy, and in no pain. He thanks you for doing the right thing for him because you loved him so. Shemp knew how much you loved him and he loved you back for so many years. It is never easy to lose a good friend. Shemp is excited about the Mandarin Buffet!!! And cannot wait to have the shrimp!!! Sleep softly, sweet Shemp...keep watch over Gary...until one fine day when you will be together again...

kimlovescats
09-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Gary ... there is absolutely NO reason to apologize to Shemp! He had 13 wonderful years, and it was his time to go. Cancer treatments at his age would be very hard on him, and at best only give him a few months ... which would not be very pleasant ones!

I am so very sorry, my friend!!! :(

Love,
Kim :(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Oh Gary, I'm so sorry to hear about Shemp. :( Everyone is right, though. There is nothing to apologize for. You did what was best for Shemp and instead of forgiving you one fine day, he will thank you.

{{{hugs}}}

GreyhoundGirl
09-26-2006, 03:25 PM
:( I'm so sorry. (((HUGS))) RIP Sam.

Sob. :(

Don't feel bad, you gave him many happy years. Now he is out of pain and playing with all our other RB kitties. :(

catmandu
09-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Thank You for the kind words about Shemp.
I looked for a solo Photo of Shemp, and couldnt find any.
He was always in a Cat Pile with his Old Friends and The Kitten Trio.
Not a bad legacy for my Dear Old Friend.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/cats266.jpg
RIP Shemp The Cat.
And eat your fill at the Mandarin. You deserve it.

CultureJunky
09-26-2006, 04:28 PM
I am so sorry to hear that Shemp has crossed to the rainbow bridge, but I'm sure he's there somwhere amongst a pile of cats having a cuddle and having a nice rest with all the others, his friends that he can meet again and talk about their dad and the good old days, and speak of the day when he will meet you again.
My most hearfelt wishes to you Gary, you are a super pawpa to all your cats and Shemp loved you dearly. Shemp is one of the first siamese/tonkinese cats that I encountered on Pet Talk and I'll never forget him. He also introduced me to the phrase 'meezer' which I'd never heard before!
You will be missed by all Shemp, Rest In Peace
Love Kate, Jack & Sunny

moosmom
09-26-2006, 04:57 PM
Gary,

I'm so sorry for your loss. And like Catty1 said, you have absolutely nothing to forgive. You gave Shemp the love and care that he deserved. It was time for Shemp to pass over and not feel pain any longer. That was a very unselfish act for you to do and very difficult, I'm sure!

Abby&Buddy'sMom
09-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Gary, I am so sorry to hear about Sam (Shemp)'s passing. You did what was best for him out of sheer love for your friend. You did not want to see him in pain, so you did the right thing. He is in a better place now at the bridge along with all those that have gone before him, and he will be waiting to greet all who will arrive , when it is time. You have so many wonderful photos and many more fond memories, and that is most important.
Take care, and don't be hard on yourself.
:( :(

AvaJoy
09-26-2006, 07:23 PM
I am very sorry to read about your beloved Shemp going to RB. :( I hope he will meet up with my recently departed Muskrat and they will adjust together to the bounty of health and rejuvenation they are now experiencing.

We are left feeling so much grief, and I so understand your hope that Shemp will forgive you . . . I beg of the same from Muskrat. I think they will. Blessings to you, and RIP handsome Shemp.

Sevaede
09-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Gary, I am willing to bet that Shemp understood and accepted your decision. :) Do not worry, your cat knows your love for him!

AbbyMom
09-26-2006, 09:45 PM
I am so very sorry, Gary. RIP Shemp.

krazyaboutkatz
09-27-2006, 12:51 AM
Gary, I'm so sorry to hear about Shemp's passing.:( Now he's painfree and not suffering any more. You did the right thing. RIP sweet Shemp.:(

Terminalvelocity
09-27-2006, 01:48 AM
Rest In Peace, dear Shemp. Your daddy had the guts to do the very best thing anyone could for you.

Gary, It takes a lot of love to let your beloved pet go, but there's always second-guessing. Not having the money to send them for further testing is sometimes a blessing in disguise. Whenever those thoughts get to you, just remember how he was, hiding in the bathtub, unable to eat.. miserable and in pain.

I don't mean to bring that heartache back to you, but to remind you of why you gave him that final release. You did the right thing. I have to keep repeating that to myself, as I just went through the same thing with my beloved 16 year old Runner. Bathtub and all.

Gary, May all of your angels gather close to you at night, protect you from all harm and fill your dreams with beautiful memories.

Karel

smokey the elder
09-27-2006, 07:09 AM
I'm so sorry about Shemp. He and Moose can start up catpiles at the Rainbow Bridge. I'm sure he's grateful for your last kindness.

rosethecopycat
09-27-2006, 07:30 AM
All the Meezers are singing their songs for Shemp.
I literally saw the Rainbow that Shemp was riding on, yesterday in Florida. I knew it meant something. It went almost straight up into the heavens.

He is safe and well there, and waiting for you Gary.

One Fine Day.

Godspeed to the Bridge, Meezer man, Shemp

jazzcat
09-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Oh Gary I'm so sorry. You gave him a good life and now you gave him Peace. There is no reason to feel you let him down. Hugs to you.

Rest in Peace Shemp.

Edwina's Secretary
09-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Godspeed Shemp! Gary..the problem with loving is that it also means losing....but what Shemp knew was the loving....

Cataholic
09-27-2006, 01:14 PM
I am so sorry to hear of Shemp's passing. If only they could stay with us until it is our time to pass. RIP, Sweet Shemp.

aki
09-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Oh Gary, I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

(((((((hugs)))))))

Shemp was a wonderful kitty, and felt so much love in his life! You were lucky to have each other.

~ AKI

barncat
09-27-2006, 09:18 PM
I am sorry to read of your loss. You share such a wonderful bond with your cats...the hard part of that is how bad it hurts when they go on where we can't yet follow. Loving thoughts to you and your family of cats.

Lizzie
09-28-2006, 12:13 AM
Looking at the photos of Shemp that you have posted, it is obvious that he had a wonderful life with you and thoroughly enjoyed it. I am very sorry for the pain you are feeling now at your loss and hope that in time you can look at those same photos and just enjoy the fact that you shared your life with him and no guilt at all. Jane Goodall wrote a wonderful essay on grief in which she said that although she felt deeply saddened when one of the chimpanzees she knew died, she felt real grief only when one of her dogs died - and that was because there was guilt mixed in with the sadness. Guilt that she couldn't protect them from anything happening to them ever, and it was based on special bond she had with them.

rg_girlca
09-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Oh Gary, I am so sorry to read about Shemp's passing.
What's to be forgiven for???? Even if you did have the money Gary, would you want him to go through all those tests, the stress that it would cause him, only to prolong his life to endure more pain......NO, I didn't think so. You did what any loving cat lover would have done, you helped him to go peacefully, pain free to be with all the other Found Cat Angels on the RB where they will be sitting, waiting for you, "One fine day."

I pray and hope that you find comfort and peace in the fond memories you made together.

Rest in Peace dear Shemp.

((((((HUGS)))))) Gary

krazykitties
10-02-2006, 12:36 PM
You have nothing to be forgiven for. Shemp loved you, and all the treatments would not have guarenteed his living longer, it would have prolonged his pain and suffering besides the extra expense. He knows you did all you could for him.

zoey
10-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Sorry to hear about Shemp. :( ***Hugs***

Jayna78
10-07-2006, 11:54 AM
So sorry to hear about Sam (Shemp). He will play at the RB with all the other wonderful angel kitties who have gone before him. You made the best decision you could, thinking of his well-being in the long run. He is no longer in pain and I'm sure he thanks you for that, and for all the love you gave him while he was with you.

catfamily
10-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Rest in Peace Dear Shemp.Daddy missess you very much and will see you one day. :(
Remember Gary that he got tons of love from you and vise versa and that means more to a cat than anything else.

Laura's Babies
10-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Awe Gary, I hate reading that you have lost another one of your wonderful Found Cat's. Shemp was one lucky kitty to have found his way to your front door and have you and all the Found Cat's to share his life with. What is there to be sorry for? You saved him from sickness and pain and the love you have for him, made his trip across easier. Play hard Shemp, teach the RB kitties how to pile when it is time to rest!

stuies mom
10-15-2006, 08:34 PM
He sounds like a great cat.Please do not feel guilty as you saved him alot of pain and that takes courage.