View Full Version : I'll be rescuing another kitty from the Humane Society...

moosmom
01-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Since Noel has gone to such a wonderful home, I called the Humane Society today to see if they had another kitty that's been there a long time.

Kitty told me there's a 6 year old neutered white male in desperate need of a home. He's been at the shelter since September. She said that he's become depressed being in a cage for so long. He gets along well with both dogs and cats. So, I'll be picking him up either tomorrow (I might have to work overtime) or Sunday. His picture and history will be posted on Petfinder.com and Helping Paws website.

I'll post pictures once he's in and settled.

Oh, my roommate Mark??? Well, he was gone for 2 weeks (never even saw Noel) and is now gone again. This time he left a note saying he wasn't sure when he'll be back. Hopefully I can get this new kitty a home fairly quickly.

davidpizzica
01-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Oh, Donna! That's super news! Both for you and the new rescue. He's getting the greatest foster mom in the world. Can't wait to see PICTURES!!

Miss Z
01-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Aaaaw, i can't wait to see pics!!!

It's so good of you to rescue a poor cat who's been stuck in a cage for such a long time. I'm sure he's very grateful;)

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-06-2006, 12:19 PM
:D OH BOY OH BOY!!!

I cant wait to see pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a lucky kitty... :D :D

davidpizzica
01-06-2006, 03:00 PM
That reminds me of Nikki. Before she received her furever home with me, the poor thing was shuffled from foster home to foster home. In the year before I adopted her she had been in two foster homes. No wonder she was scared and shy when I first met her. I think she spent a lot of her time in cat carriers. She's not scared or shy now!

Laura's Babies
01-07-2006, 09:36 AM
This is great news! He needs a new home and yours is just what he needs!! I am so happy for you and him and can't wait to see the pictures and his intro! Are you just going to foster him or will this be his forever home?

People don't realize what putting them in cages at the shelter does to them. They get so scared and depressed that it is heartbreaking. Some of them are glad to be where it is warm and they are fed but others are horrified and I can only imaging their feeling of abondoment.

krazyaboutkatz
01-07-2006, 04:16 PM
This is great news and hopefully he'll become less scared and be able to be adopted into his loving forever home quickly. :) I can't wait to see his pictures. What's his name?

moosmom
01-08-2006, 05:08 PM
Not only was Sarge (the white kitty) already adopted when I got there, but 2 cats that I had my eye on also got adopted. Kitty said it was my magic touch, although I doubt it. So, this is Molly. She's 9 years old and was dumped off at the Humane Society in October by her owner's family after her owner died. :( She is a LOVEBUG and has the purr of a diesel engine!!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/deploss13/Molly2.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/deploss13/Molly1.jpg

I'm hoping she'll be able to come out and join my other kits soon.

kimlovescats
01-08-2006, 10:31 PM
OH my GOSH! Molly is adorable ... and a big "fluffy" girl too!!! :D
Thank you so much for bringing her home, Donna! Awww, poor girl must have been so traumatized after losing her owners and then having to go to the shelter! You are giving her such a blessing!

Hugs,
Kim

jenluckenbach
01-09-2006, 05:49 AM
Well, Congratulations to Sarge! :D And welcome Molly. :D

moosmom
01-12-2006, 08:17 PM
I know she's only been here since Sunday, but I let her out for a bit tonight. I had the squirt bottle filled and ready. For the most part it went well. Then Moo decided to get a little obnoxious (she had been out for about 2 hours) and it got ugly. He thinks he's Mr. Right and can "do it". WRONG!! So, she's back in the bathroom for her own good. She's had enough excitement for the night. I'll keep doing it till everyone is comfortable.

Oh, and Mark came home yesterday. He asked me if I had a cat in the bathroom. I hung my head, look at him with innocent eyes and said yes. :rolleyes: I told him that she's 9 years old and they were gonna kill her at the shelter because of her age. He didn't seem concerned at all. He left a note on his door, "See you in a few weeks!"

HOPEFULLY she'll have a home before he returns. If not, no big deal.

jenluckenbach
01-13-2006, 05:11 AM
All good news. :D

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-13-2006, 06:03 AM
OH MOLLY YOU ARE SO ADORABLE!!!!

She looks so fluffy and cute. I just want to kiss your little black nose so bad! :D

moosmom
01-13-2006, 05:26 PM
I got a call this afternoon from a woman whose boyfriend saw Molly on Helping Paws website and wants to adopt her!!! I'm so happy. They're going to call me either tonight or tomorrow. I'll keep you posted!

davidpizzica
01-13-2006, 05:35 PM
I got a call this afternoon from a woman whose boyfriend saw Molly on Helping Paws website and wants to adopt her!!! I'm so happy. They're going to call me either tonight or tomorrow. I'll keep you posted!
Oh Donna! I'm SO happy for you and Molly! I'm glad that you saved Molly from a so-called life in a shelter cage and now a possible furever home! {{{{HUGS}}}} to you and tummy rubs for Molly!

jenluckenbach
01-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Good Luck Molly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

catmandu
01-13-2006, 06:57 PM
David,there will be a gold Star beside your name,for helping Molly find her very own Furr Ever Home!

moosmom
01-14-2006, 11:12 AM
My gut instincts were right. Denise just called me and said that her boyfriend is having second thoughts about adopting a cat with claws, because of his precious furniture. I told her in that case, I was denying her application. I suggested he get a goldfish. I explained how declawing is barbaric and I'd never allow anyone to adopt Molly that was planning on declawing her. So, Molly stays with me for now. No big deal. At 9 years old, I can choose to be fussy as to who adopts her.

davidpizzica
01-14-2006, 12:27 PM
My gut instincts were right. Denise just called me and said that her boyfriend is having second thoughts about adopting a cat with claws, because of his precious furniture. I told her in that case, I was denying her application. I suggested he get a goldfish. I explained how declawing is barbaric and I'd never allow anyone to adopt Molly that was planning on declawing her. So, Molly stays with me for now. No big deal. At 9 years old, I can choose to be fussy as to who adopts her.
Donna, suggest to him that he can buy a stuffed cat toy. That'll save his precious furniture!! I just feel bad for Molly.

moosmom
01-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Don't feel bad for Molly, she's in a good place right now. Don't worry, she'll get a home eventually.

moosmom
01-14-2006, 06:36 PM
I got another call for Molly. A 70 year old gentleman who lost his 17 year old cat to kidney failure. He misses having a cat and saw Molly's picture on the website. I think he's the one. I spoke with him at length and he encouraged a home visit. So it looks like Molly will be going to her new home sometime this week or next weekend.

jenluckenbach
01-14-2006, 07:06 PM
"When God shuts a door, he opens a window". Molly, looks like we may have a winner! :D Good luck.

smokey the elder
01-15-2006, 06:58 AM
That sounds like it could be a great match. I prefer to adopt adults rather than kittens to seniors. It's good for the older person, to take care of an animal.

sandragonfly
01-15-2006, 01:40 PM
hoorah sarge!

good luck donna and especially the dolly molly! hope things work out smoothly for you all. tell us at the minute of it she's gone to a furrever home!

moosmom
01-16-2006, 07:43 AM
I got an email from Rene this morning. Because this man is a senior and so is Molly, there is absolutely no adoption fee. We will also give him food and litter for her.

I sure wish my cellphone was up and running (gotta pay the bill when I get my paycheck) so I could call and give him the good news. I know he's going to be thrilled. So am I!! Although I will miss her alot.

smokey the elder
01-16-2006, 07:58 AM
That's great! One of our local rescue groups has what they call a "Senior to senior" program which may be like that!

jenluckenbach
01-16-2006, 09:04 AM
What wonderful news (for Molly, not your cell phone) ;)

I sure wish I'd have thought of that yesterday when 1by1 had its board meeting. I think that is a terrific program.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-16-2006, 09:52 AM
Congratulations, Molly!

Our local Humane Society - where we got CJ - also has a program for senior to senior adoptions. I don't remember the details, but I believe they still charge a partial fee, just not the entire amount. They also have a program for senior cats and anyone. Any cat 8 or older has a reduced adoption fee. When we adopted CJ he was 7. Terry tried to challenge them as to his age to try and get the reduced fee. ;) :rolleyes: :) I, of course, was willing to pay whatever it took because I wanted him - but also because I know the shelter needs the money.

krazyaboutkatz
01-16-2006, 11:47 AM
This is wonderful news!!! I hope that everything works out well. :)