PDA

View Full Version : Dog Flu???

AmberLee
09-27-2005, 09:51 PM
I'm a fan of the Snopes Urban Legend website, but their report on a new strain of flu (http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/dogflu.asp) jumping species to over to dogs and being highly contageous, sometimes fatal, has me worried.

Do you know what states it's confirmed in???

Now I'm wondering if that's what Molly has...

Flatcoatluver
09-27-2005, 10:02 PM
huh i heard of it in my state, i didn't hear around ca but i don't live in ca because i don't live there :) good luck i'll pray for molly.

dukedogsmom
09-27-2005, 10:03 PM
It's true and I'm waiting to hear about it on my news station right now. Very scary. They don't know much about it.

Flatcoatluver
09-27-2005, 10:14 PM
hey post with the info please!

dukedogsmom
09-27-2005, 10:27 PM
There wasn't too much info on it. It didn't give the states but said there are eight others besides Florida that have had cases. They just said if you're going to get your dog groomed or take them to the kennel to ask about any unusual cases. They're treating the dogs with antibiotics and are trying to find a vaccine. A vet did say that some dogs will die. That's so sad.

Flatcoatluver
09-27-2005, 10:41 PM
thats really sad we need to stop this flu!

K9karen
09-27-2005, 10:49 PM
They think it started with greyhounds in Florida. It's spread to (and I'm trying to remember the map from TV) Virginia, Texas, NY and I think some Ohio Valley states. It said if your dog has a cough, don't just think it's kennel cough-get your dog to a vet ASAP!

Flatcoatluver
09-27-2005, 10:54 PM
ok my dog so far hasn't cough but i should keep her probally away from strange dogs and dogs in my dog class

Den Anne Pen
09-27-2005, 10:58 PM
Is it just in Kennels and groomers or is it all around? Are the simphoms the same as kennel cough? I have'nt heard of this flu yet.

I hope they find a cure for it before Any doggies die:( :(

AmberLee
09-27-2005, 11:14 PM
Here is an extract from the larger Snopes article:

Dr. Cynda Crawford, the veterinary immunologist who first isolated it, describes the contagion as producing in dogs "a moist, productive cough that ends in a gagging response, that will persist for one to four weeks, despite treatment with antibiotics or cough suppressants. Some dogs develop a thick, yellow discharge from the nose. A very few dogs will spike a high fever, between 105 to 107 degrees Fahrenheit. They become lethargic and weak, with rapid, shallow breathing. This is likely to progress to pneumonia." She believes as many as 10 percent of the dogs infected by it will die of the disease, but others have estimated the potential death rate as between 1 and 10 percent, with the higher percentage applying to very young, very old, or infirm dogs.

No vaccine against this canine contagion exists at this time, although one is under development, and a vaccine for the equine version of this flu already exists. Presence of the virus in dogs can be confirmed only through blood tests performed at the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine. Results of such blood screens take as long as two weeks.

Dr. Crawford recommends keeping dogs showing symptoms of respiratory disease at home and away from other dogs for up to two weeks. The CDC, which is tracking the disease, issued no official recommendations.

Because the symptoms of this as yet unnamed virus somewhat mimic bordetella, a less virulent illness commonly known as kennel cough, it is hard to ascertain how widespread the flu has become. On the flipside of that confusion, vets in various parts of the country have been thrown into a panic when encountering run-of-the-mill kennel cough in any of their clients, fearing they are instead confronting cases of the new flu.

The Animal Health Diagnostic Center at Cornell University inserted a caution against such hair trigger diagnosis within a larger advisory about the potential for the flu to have spread to the state of New York: "One should not lose sight of the fact that all respiratory infections in dogs are not due to canine influenza virus. Adhering to the 'band wagon' approach could result in the failure to appropriately treat dogs with infections previously known to cause respiratory problems in dogs."

king2005
09-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Its on the news here every morning. I forget what city, but one near Toronto is getting a sample of the virus to study it to help fight & prevent it from getting into Canada.

Here they are telling us that if the dog starts to cough, bring it to the vets asap.

lizbud
09-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Kimmy posted about this days ago. Although there is no cure
for this, most dogs can recover.It started were large groups of
dogs are kept together like kennels, boarding places & racing
kenneled dogs.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89211

USApup1991
09-28-2005, 10:40 AM
I heard it on the news. It's going around everywhere, it scares me

Roxyluvsme13
09-28-2005, 11:07 AM
It's not near TN is it??? This really worries me, because Roxy stays outside :(

lbaker
09-28-2005, 01:26 PM
This article appears in my Associations online journal ScienceExpress. Val or somebody send me an email (not a private message.. I can't attach to a private message) and if you know how to attach .pdf files I will send it to you. I sent it to Phred but he may not have received it. The article is very scientific and technical but it's the article the newscasters are quoting.

Laurie

aly
09-28-2005, 01:34 PM
I believe we've had cases of that in Texas. I work at a vet clinic and we've been flooded with calls from clients freaking out. I still have a lot of reading to do on it and I need to talk to the doctors at work about it, but I am not panicking yet. If anyone is worried, keep your dogs out of high-traffic dog areas like the dog parks, pet stores, etc. for a little while until more is known.

Cinder & Smoke
09-28-2005, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by lbaker
This article appears in my Associations online journal ScienceExpress.

The article is very scientific and technical,
but it's the article the newscasters are quoting.

Laurie

The article is written by a group of Vets from many different Institutions.

Here's the Author List, with their Institutions;
and the Opening Paragraph:

Transmission of Equine Influenza Virus to Dogs

P. C. Crawford,1 Edward J. Dubovi,2 William L. Castleman,1 Iain Stephenson,3 E.P.J. Gibbs,1 Limei Chen,3
Catherine Smith,3 Richard C. Hill,1 Pamela Ferro,4 Justine Pompey3, Rick A. Bright,3 Marie-Jo Medina,3
Influenza Genomics Group,3* Calvin M. Johnson,5 Christopher W. Olsen,6 Nancy J. Cox,3 Alexander I.
Klimov,3 Jackie M. Katz,3 Ruben O. Donis3

1College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA. 2College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell
University, Ithaca, NY, USA. 3Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta,
GA, USA. 4College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, USA. 5College of Veterinary
Medicine, Auburn University, Auburn, AL, USA. 6School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison,
WI, USA.

"Molecular and antigenic analyses of three influenza viruses isolated from outbreaks of severe respiratory disease in racing greyhounds revealed that they are closely related to H3N8 equine influenza virus.
Phylogenetic analysis indicated that the canine influenza virus genomes form a monophyletic group, consistent with a single interspecies virus transfer. Molecular changes in the hemagglutinin suggested adaptive evolution in the new host. The etiologic role of this virus in respiratory disease was supported by the temporal association of rising antibody titers with disease and by experimental inoculation studies. The geographic expansion of the infection and its persistence for several years indicates efficient transmission of canine influenza virus among
greyhounds. Evidence of infection in pet dogs suggests that this infection may also become enzootic in this population."

The entire article is published by Science Magazine on their
Science Express web site
Science Express articles (http://www.sciencemag.org/sciencexpress/recent.shtml)

BUT > It's a PAY-per-View article, and Copyrighted! :eek:
I don't think we should illegally reproduce the whole article here!

I'll copy the article and send it to Laurie in a "plain text" e-mail that she
can forward to interested parties.

**NOTE:
It *IS* a very technical article - NOT easy reading!

/s/ Phred

lbaker
09-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Thanks Phred, sometimes I forget that this site is actually public, it isn't just "us folks and PetTalker family" :o My job probably would frown on my posting the entire link for free *psssst* if any of my buddies wants to know more... heh heh heh* ;)

slleipnir
09-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Duno if this is the same info as posted...\
http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-hsdogs274444675sep27,0,1842996.story?

ramanth
09-29-2005, 10:55 AM
My mom called me yesterday asking me to print out articles because my grandma heard about this from a friend and is freaked out. She won't take Bambi outside longer than it takes for her to go to the bathroom and has decided she won't take Bambi to the groomers anymore. :\

I think people should be aware but shouldn't panic. I still plan to take Kia for walks and to the dog park. It would be silly to isolate her. If she coughs, I'll take her to the vet.

What my mom was curious about is if cats can get it.